Can anyone help Rafaelo Procedure

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hello Everyone,  I’ve been suffering from piles for some time now.  I’ve been told about the Rafaelo procedure, as it suggests,  will the surgery be painless.  Please advise or share story of those who have had this particular procedure please.  Thank you for any help.

1 like, 189 replies

189 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Nabila, I had the Rafaelo procedure today. I searched for a local private hospital as I had read about it online and went to see a consultant who talked it through and examined me. I arrived at the hospital at 10:30 and was out by 12:30. I was given a sedative through a cannula in my arm and warned that I might feel some discomfort. I can remember feeling a bit uncomfortable at one stage and then can’t remember anything else until I was in recovery. This afternoon I have felt a bit uncomfortable, but nothing major. I have taken ibuprofen and paracetamol under the advice of my consultant and slept off the sedative. I was warned I may have discharge/slight bleeding but that has not occurred, but I have ‘opened my bowels’ 3x - which is very unusual but has been fine. Ultimately a chat with a consultant will reassure you if you are suitable for the procedure. I was borderline, but said I wished to go ahead as I can’t afford to have the time off/don’t want to suffer the pain associated with other procedures. I hope that this  has helped you. Good luck.😊

• Posted

Hi Becky.  Thanks for your advice.  I have been referred for this procedure.  I live in Yorkshire and been told I will have to travel to central London for the consultation and op and travel back.

Could you tell me is it painful?  

• Posted

Hi, for me it wasn’t painful, no. I guess pain is a subjective thing, but I’ve had much, much worse pain from the piles.  The procedure was Just a bit uncomfortable at one stage, but with the sedative, I don’t really remember much. I would definitely recommend it and would have it again if I needed too (but hopefully not). 
    • Posted

Hi Becky!

I would like to go for this procedure too. So I had banding and it didn’t worked... waste of time and the consultant  said that I need surgery as it’s prolapsed grade 3. This went through NHS but I would like to know how much it would cost and where did you have it done? Also I would like to have a baby in the next year or so... is this procedure affects fertility? I am so scared but this haemorrhoid cause me so much trouble and bleeding. Can you tell me how much was all (e.g. procedure, consultation, after care etc) and where is the best clinic to go and have it done.

Thank you so much     

• Posted

Hi Suzana

I seem to have not responded to this post, apologies. 

I would say that if your haemorrhoid is internal it can probably be operated on in this way, if external, then I’m not sure. As I said in a previous post, mine were grade 2/3 and the consultant wasn’t sure if it would work as it is such a new procedure and not  much research has been done on the bigger ones. However, I asked if he would be willing to give it a try, and if it didn’t work, that was my choice. 

It did work though, and now, 10 weeks on, I can honestly say it’s changed my life. 

I cannot, for one minute imagine that this would affect your fertility in any way whatsoever. I would say that having been pregnant twice that haemorrhoids are unfortunately something that can occur with pregnancy, particularly if you are susceptible to them already. 😐

Knowing what I know now, I think I would try and get them operated on before pregnancy, and then switch my diet to very high fibre to eliminate straining and the recurrence of them. 

Kind regards, Becky 

• Posted

Hi Becky,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will go for an appointment and see what the consultant will say. Hopefully it will work for me too. 

Kind regards, 

Suzana

• Posted

Thank you so much.  You've put me at ease.

• Posted

You’re welcome. I’m sure your consultant will put you at ease over that too. Such a new procedure that there isn’t much info out there or patient feedback. Have read somewhere that someone was back at work the same day - I think that’s a bit ambitious tbh. Hope all goes well with your visit to the consultant and I’ll try and remember to do an update on my recovery. 😊

• Posted

Hi.Did you go through rafaelo surgery?what is outcom?would you share please?
    • Posted

Hi, Yes indeed I did have Rafaelo on 01 December (see post above). After 1 week of feeling ( slight discomfort) I would say I am completely healed and it is all forgotten about. I have a follow up appointment in the middle of January to check all is good and I will report back then. 
    • Posted

Hi Becky!

Did the procedure worked? Are you piles free now? I am scared that if I get through this procedure if it doesn’t work and to be home it’s pricey but well if works I will pay no matter what as at the end of the day is about my health. 

Please respond to me! Thank you

• Posted

Hi Suzana 

Yes the procedure worked, and yes the piles have not returned. I seem to have had a similar experience to Jamie above. 

Only a consultant can tell you whether they think you will be suitable for the procedure after they have examined you. 

My consultant thought I was borderline as mine were grade 2/3 but I decided that I’d rather try and paid privately. So glad I did. Has changed my life. 

• Posted

Thank you for replying Becky! How was the follow up appointment? Which clinic did you go to? 

Regards,

Suzana xx

• Posted

Hi Suzana 

I saw Mr Patel at Spires Hospital in Worcester. I chose this hospital for its location as it was the nearest hospital. The follow up appointment was just a chat about how I’m doing (not an examination). 

Still doing well. 👍🏻

• Posted

Hi Suzana,

If you call the number on the Rafaelo website they can advise about clinics/consultants near you. You may even be able to get referred on the NHS. 

I had the treatment this morning (paid privately due to work urgency, though my GP was willing to refer me). It was a bit uncomfortable, but less so than the banding. So far so good.

Good luck.

Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply. I have prolapsed grade 3 pile, so hopefully it would work for me as well. How was the procedure, did they give you full anaesthesia? How is the pain after the procedure? Did they go away straight after the procedure or do you have to wait until they fall? I had banding and it worked with the small ones but this one is the only one which gives me a lot of pain and bleeding sometimes! If it works I will go tomorrow and have it done but I am scared as if is no results and To pay for nothing it’s just waste of money. Please do let me know how you get on also which clinic did you go to?

Many thanks,

Suzana 

• Posted

Hi Suzana,

So sorry for not replying sooner. I didn't get a notification about your message.

I had no sedative and only local anaesthetic delivered by injection separately into each pile.  (I had three large grade 3, one of which was almost permanently prolapsed).

There is definitely some pain during and after the procedure, but it is mild — on a par or less than banding and best managed with paracetamol and/or ibuprofen. It is nothing like the full haemorrhoidectomy others have described above.

I am still having some pain after each bm (6 days on), though it is more of an inconvenience/distraction than anything else. It hasn't stopped me going to work or anything like that. I had a full day of meetings the day after the procedure and forgot that I'd had it done for most of the day.

My main issue is that something is still prolapsing after each bm. It seems to be easier every day to get things "back into normal position" and the surgeon says this should resolve as the swelling decreases. I am hopeful things will go back to normal, though a little anxious that the piles have caused some kind of permanent structural change.

I also had banding (twice) which may have dealt with some smaller piles but not the "big three."

I was also very anxious about the cost, but I would say it has definitely been worth it. The piles appear to be gone or much reduced. And if things go "back to normal" (as they seem to be doing) in the next week or two I will be truly delighted.

Ultimately a consultation with a surgeon will of course give you far better information than a stranger on the internet. I saw Mr Amyn Haji at the Whiteley Clinic in central London. He was great, but having looked at all the consultants who offer Rafaelo they all seem to be pretty advanced in their field.

As I mentioned above, you may be able to get referred for this procedure on the NHS. If you call the number on the Rafaelo site and speak to them they will advise on the best approach with your GP. If you're not in a mad hurry this could be the way to go.

I wish you all the very best and am happy to answer any more questions.

Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for your reply. You have me a clear idea. I was looking at the same clinic for this procedure and after clarifying how is the procedure I will definitely go for the procedure.

I am glad that you are recovering and hopefully they will fall off in the next days. Please do let me know updates, if it was successful as you said it’s still something there after each bowl movement.  I am so anxious... I have been for banding 3 times... I hate this procedure... awful... and it didn’t work 😢... so hopefully will be successful this time with the new procedure.

Kind regards,

Suzana

• Posted

Hi Suzana,

An update at the end of day 7. Much improved. Everything seems to be staying inside, where it ought to be. Prolapse after a bm this morning simply went back up by itself. Then the rest of the day I felt completely normal for the first time in ages. I'm hopeful this will last. If so the money is the among the best I have ever spent. 

Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian,

That’s great news. Thank you for your update. I will definitely go for it. I read about after procedure that it take up to 14 days to clear the piles so you are on the right place. I am so happy for you! 

All the best,

Suzana

• Posted

Hi Suzana,

Yes, I've just rewatched the video on their website (the animation, not the operation - steered well clear of that!!) and it was reassuring. For some reason I thought they shrank right away. Seems like things are on track. Will keep you posted.

All the best,

David

• Posted

Hi Suzana,

I think one fell off today (the lowest, prolapsing one). The feeling of normality is bliss. Very very pleased. Hopefully I have also had a similar experience to Becky and Jamie above.

David

• Posted

Hi David,

Great progress! Finally a procedure which is not so painful and successful! 

Worth every penny. Will definitely go for it to! Thank you!

All the best,

Suzana

• Posted

Hi Suzana,

An update 2.5 weeks after the procedure. I am still having issues with the prolapsing haemorrhoid. It is still there (though smaller I think, but not much) and has gone back to being hard to keep inside. 

They say they won't be able to tell until 4-6 weeks afterwards how things will settle, but I have lost a lot of confidence. 

I will keep you posted.

• Posted

Hi Ian,

Sorry for this late reply. Ohh no! That’s very disappointing re the procedure. I am so sorry for you. Hopefully it’s just a faze and in 4-6 weeks will fell. I am very curious as I will go through this procedure too but now I have to think twice as mine is prolapsed too and if it doesn’t fall I don’t want to pay so much and end up for the classic procedure. Please keep me updated and wish you all the best! Fingers crossed it will go away! 

Kind regards,

Suzana

• Posted

Hi Ian  -  Need your help on rafaelo experience....I had grade-2 Hemorrhoids, and got the rafaelo procedure done last week,its fourth day running i have little discomfort throughout, but every morning when I pass stool, it bleeds would you consider this normal, or should I flag this up with Doc...
    • Posted

Hi Becky - I also had this procedure done about 4 days back, I had grade-2 Hemorrhoids..My problem now is with passing stool (BM) every morning its bleeding and pain after that, this have happened all the four days post Rafaelo. Did this happen with you aswell, if so how long did it last.

Did you stick to any special diet considerations or laxative..? Thanks xx

• Posted

Hi Suzana,

Some better news after a follow up with the consultant.

The prolapsed mass is not a haemorrhoid. It is a skin tag. A lot of my discomfort and pain was coming from my trying to get it back inside, which it turns out isn't actually possible and was aggravating it. Now that I am leaving it alone, a lot of the pain and discomfort has subsided. 

The consultant will need to see in another few weeks when everything has settled down, but most likely the skin tag will have to be removed. This will be surgery under general anaesthetic, because of where it is and the size of it. Recovery will be painful but apparently nothing like as bad as a haemorrhoidectomy. 

I'm not sure how it came to be there but they often seem to come about after piles reduction. So it could be the skin left over from an earlier banding, or from the Rafaelo procedure itself.

As for the piles, two out of the three are completely resolved. The other is much reduced but not entirely and will need further treatment - probably banding.

So good news overall and no need for a "classic" haemorrhoidectomy. However beware, with large grade 3 prolapsed piles you may end up with a problematic skin tag which might need to be removed surgically. You may well not, however, and it could just be that I was unlucky.

With hindsight I would definitely make the same choice and have the procedure again.

Take care,

Ian

• Posted

Hi Tej,

I was told a little bleeding with a bowel movement was quite normal. I didn't actually have any after my procedure though.

If you're at all concerned I would check with your doctor.

Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your update. I really appreciate it! Fingers crossed the skin tag will not give you a lot of pain after the removal. Please keep me updated.

Kind regards,

Suzana 

• Posted

Hi Suzana,

Another update - and it's good news! All 3 hems now completely resolved. No sign of them after recent protoscopy. And the skin tags are now too small to need surgery to remove them. Just need to be careful to keep clean after BM. And that's it! Back to a normal life!! Very very happy. Would thoroughly recommend the Rafaelo.

Good luck! x

• Posted

Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for your update! That’s great news... I was a bit worried with your previous update re the skin tag but if it was successful I would definitely go for it and with the same clinic! I am so happy for you!!! 

Best wishes xx

• Posted

Hi Ian,

I hope you’re well. How are you feeling? I have booked the Rafaelo procedure but I am a bit nervous that it won’t work as I read other experiences. Can you please let me know how Are you feeling now? Did you remain with the skin tag?

Thank you,

Suzana 

• Posted

Hi Suzana,

I'm feeling great! Like a different person. Normal life is fantastic.

The skin tag is still there but is a minor inconvenience. I have installed a bidet on the toilet at home and carry Kandoo flushable wipes when out and about just in case but rarely need them.

Good luck with it.

Ian

• Posted

I should add that the option to remove the skin tag is still there if I want it, but the surgeon suggested that if I could live with it it's not worth going through the surgery.

It's an occasional minor inconvenience, and nothing compared to the hems (to the extent that I forget about it 99.9% of the time, as opposed to the hems which came to almost define my life!).

The two or three weeks after the procedure might be more painful, uncomfortable and uncertain than the Rafaelo marketing would have you believe but a) it is very very very minor compared to the stories of surgery and b) the results are so worth it I would have put up with a lot more discomfort.  

I have zero regrets!

• Posted

Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for you response. That’s great news. Will keep you posted regarding my procedure. I am so scared.

Very happy for you though! 

All the best,

Suzana

• Posted

Easier said than done but try not to be scared and good luck! And yes, do keep us posted. This board was part of the inspiration for me having it done and I'm so glad I did. There aren't any other first-hand patient experiences online (that I could find anyway).

All the best,

Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian. I’m trying to decide whether to go for he Rafaelo procedure. How are you now, several months later? Has it all been worth it? Thanks! 
    • Posted

Hi Rich,

Most of what I have to say about it is in my responses to Suzana above but in short: yes, absolutely. Life has been transformed.

I'm only one person of course but in general all the accounts from actual patients that I've found have been overwhelmingly positive. 

Some people seem to walk out and have no adverse effects whatsoever (as per the Rafaelo marketing). Others, like me, have one to three weeks of swelling and discomfort. I didn't have any bleeding but I've read of people who did. As far as I can tell it seems to be that the bigger the hems, the more likely you'll have some discomfort (I had 3 x large prolapsed grade 3). 

Even if you fall into the second category I would 100% say go for it. I live an active lifestyle (cycling, camping, etc.) and have young children, all of which was compromised by the hems. It's truly given me my life back. 

I'd had two rounds of banding before which hadn't worked. The surgeon who did the banding just said "let's try more banding!" No thanks. One of the rounds of banding was more painful than the Rafaelo afterwards, and the process was definitely more painful and more stressful. The only other options appeared to be haemorrhoidectomy or living with them. 

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• Posted

how are you now? i am day 9. went back to dr yest in agony as thought thrombosed hem but apparently swollen skin tag. worried me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.