Can anyone help with dressing/bandaging?

Posted , 10 users are following.

ive been suffering with HS for around 4 years now and although theyve gradually got worse suddenly the boils seem to be rupturing as normal but not healing. Most of mine are on my groin and i have no idea on how to cover them when they are weeping! Have tried gauze and tape but because I cant shave due to the boils the tape just gets stuck and is extremely uncomfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear that you're going through this. have you tried the paper tape? You can trim your hair with scissors instead of shaving. It wouldn't be so painful. One thing that may help to stop forming boils is to change your diet. Cut out the beef, dairy and possibly the nightshade vegetables. I have eliminated them from my diet and I don't flare nearly as much. One last thing I do is take a little bleach and add it to you bath a few times a week. This helps keep them from coming as well. I really hope some of my advice helps.

• Posted

Thankyou ill have to try the paper tape! I have tried to change diet but i didnt really know what to cut out so thanks for the advice!

• Posted

I get them there too so I understand your predicament. I have used pantyliners and stuck them on my underwear, pants, or shorts instead of bandaging the wound. I also swab my wounds with tea tree essential oil but never if the wounds are internal.

• Posted

I never thought of pantyliners thanks so much! I do use tea tree and hibiscrub for cleaning.

• Posted

this probably isnt the best idea, but it helps me. I buy those soft bandaids, the fabric flexible ones in three sizes, and use those to cover up. they stick softly on the hair and come off easily when i shower and then i apply a new one. i also put vaseline over the wound before covering it up. this works for me because i shower/body shower two times a day.

• Posted

thankyou! i have tried bandaids but it was just the pain of getting them off that made me cringe but never tried the ones youve mentioned so ill have to give then a go.

• Posted

I would avoid baseline as it smothers a wound and keeps put oxygen. can u see if you can get an RD of Silva Sulfadiazine cream?

It is usually for burns but has antibiotic and antibacterial ingredients or properties and some small amount of pain reliever/cooling effect.

• Posted

*vaseline

also it helps to regrow new skin

• Posted

If they burst and are drained you can try go seal most of it with liquid bandage leave an opening for drainage. It worked a few time for me on tough spots. I am pretty sure mine is trigged by pastries, soda and sugar. Most sugar okay, but some like in Chocolate is bad for me I can tell. I have been avoiding for months now. When I cheat I get screwed. Cake on holidays triggers mine a lot. I have to cut out hoiliday treats out completely.

Do you know what may slow this down is accutane when I was younger when this stuff went out of control i would go on that drug for 6 months and that would last for many years and then when it came back I got back on it. I havent been on it over 20 years maybe I need back on it.

• Posted

Thanks so much! I think at the minute im struggling on what to cut out of my diet certain things seem to trigger people with HS but I think ill struggle cutting cutting everything out

• Posted

If they burst and are drained you can try go seal most of it with liquid bandage leave an opening for drainage. It worked a few time for me on tough spots. I am pretty sure mine is trigged by pastries, soda and sugar. Most sugar okay, but some like in Chocolate is bad for me I can tell. I have been avoiding for months now. When I cheat I get screwed. Cake on holidays triggers mine a lot. I have to cut out hoiliday treats out completely.

Do you know what may slow this down is accutane when I was younger when this stuff went out of control i would go on that drug for 6 months and that would last for many years and then when it came back I got back on it. I havent been on it over 20 years maybe I need back on it.

• Posted

Also there may be something like nair to remove hair, just watch for open wound spots

• Posted

I do nair and it seems to work really well but havent been able to because i seem to have a lot of open wounds recently

• Posted

Yes I used pantyliners. And if you wear boxer shorts you could stick more in there. Or stick bandages inside the boxer shorts.

I use iodine and that makes them burst and is antiseptic. And I use sudocreme, Zink creme used for diaper rash. This heals them.

I have also had my hairs laser removed. worked well for me, just a couple left, so I only shave once every 2 weeks, when the ones that are left become really long.

And yeah find the food that gives you the boils. Mine is milk chocolate.

I used to wear a boxer shorts type of bikini, becasuse i couldn't shave. My mum made it for me back in 1998.

Hang on in there!!!

• Posted

Thanks so much for the advice! I deffo need to find the foods which make them worse its just daunting to me. Will deffo be investing in some pantyliners thankyou!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.