Can anyone help with dressing/bandaging?

Posted , 10 users are following.

ive been suffering with HS for around 4 years now and although theyve gradually got worse suddenly the boils seem to be rupturing as normal but not healing. Most of mine are on my groin and i have no idea on how to cover them when they are weeping! Have tried gauze and tape but because I cant shave due to the boils the tape just gets stuck and is extremely uncomfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My wife also has HS in the groin.

She uses a Sterile Extra Absorbent Dressing Pad Called a Premier Pad which are latex free.

There are quite a few sizes 20 cm x 20 cm or 20 cm x 10 cm are the two sizes my wife uses

Ref for the 20 x 20 is 2006, in the UK they can be issued on prescription or you by them on the internet

from medical suppliers websites.

Premier Pads are distributed by Shermond Bunzi Retail & Healthcare Supplies Ltd

Unit 6 Delta Park Industrial Estate Millmarsh Lane

Enfield London EN3 7QJ UK Phone +44 (0) 1530 278 111

• Posted

please stop eating any and all sugar, you will see results the very next day. not "get a few flare ups here and there", the pain will stop, and your wounds will start healing and never return. this also includes fruits and any food with sugars in it. after a couple of months you can reintroduce low sugar fruits slowly like blueberries and see how you react.

• Posted

Hi all,

I appreciate this thread is a few months old now, but I was googling for something else and ended up here, but I have a suggestion I hope can help someone else!

I have (granted, quite mild at the moment) HS in my groin area and my armpit. I had horrible allergic reactions to normal plasters and spent months trying to use gauze wrapped with bandage around my shoulder or leg to catch the weeping. A nightmare.

One day I struck GOLD when my Mum came home and presented me with a plaster I had never seen. Its called Mepilex (in the UK) and after some persuasion my GP added to my prescription. They are foam type sticky plaster so the softness really helps with the pain of movement but isn't restrictive. I have experienced no reactions or soreness using them in either problem area and they do not cause issues with hair either, super gentle removal. They are very expensive, but if like me you can persuade your GP that this isn't an option for you, they are literally AMAZING. Here's a link to some on Amazon:

MEPILEX dressing 10cm x 11cm (x5) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G4C2O7U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_e6ZHDbZ89B1GM

I have also added gauze between the wound and the plaster for particularly weepy wounds, you can then regularly change the gauze without replacing the plaster each time... And you can cut them easily too if you need a particular shape for comfort.

I really hope this helps someone else, the difference these plasters have made to my management of my wounds is life changing!

• Posted

Thank you for this tip and the link. I really appreciate your saying that the adhesive hasn't caused you any problems with your hair. As I've seen from a lot of people in this board, many of us seem to have issues with the adhesives on bandages and wound dressings. (Sorry about my wording but I'm an American who stumbled onto this British forum ages ago.) I have learned so much more here than any where in the States!

• Posted

Thanks for the info, if you don't have good insurance perhaps there are generic brands for this or very similar look there too.

• Posted

I am no expert, but I bet burn victims use a similar product I would also look there. If they do it would be a very old patent and generics for those would be put there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.