Can anyone help with some advice on LPR?

Posted , 8 users are following.

First of all, it's such a relief to find this forum!  I'm a 45 year old woman and like a lot people here, I've recently been diagnosed with LPR and have been prescribed PPIs.  My other symptoms are a painful burning mouth/nose and sore throat.  I've also just dealt with some awful sinusitis which seems under control now after 2 weeks of antibiotics.  I also wear a denture and as a result of the sore throat, I can't wear it as it's reacting with the sore throat sad  Anyway, that's my story....I just have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with.  First of all, if you keep taking PPI's and make serious lifestyle changes, does this condition eventually resolve itself?  Or are you on PPIs forever?  My mouth really burns and sucking on sugar lollies helps temporarily but I really don't want to keep having sugar or even sugar free lollies.  Any other suggestions to help subside the burning?  I've lifted up the head of my bed which seems to help.  Yikes!  Such a horrible and painful condition, any info, particularly natural healing methods would be much appreciated (as I don't like these drugs), thanks guys smile

1 like, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sugar lollise, you crazy. Carbs are going to kill you in your condition. Did you check Ph level in your body? Why dodctors do not checking patients Ph, cant understand that. I am sure is accidic and that what can create LPR. That what my problem is.I am not going to doctors, because I know what they do. I can do that with out them. Low accidic  diet, that are the key. Any sugar, coffe, tea, white flower, beff, pork are poisones.As much I love them I stop even look on that kind of food. Sometims only coffe when I must, that is it.
    • Posted

Things are very different in diferent countries Margot. What would suit your system is not going to suit ours. In UK only about 00.l01 of the popular know anything about phd and they have to do it themselves.
    • Posted

I'm slowly learning Margot, I became sick last night from sugar so I'm definately cutting that out now.
    • Posted

You dont know for sure it was the sugar, it might have been that if you ate anything then the same thing would have happened.  We end up becoming paranoid and scared stiff to eat anything. With some of us we can eat anything we like and it makes no difference but we still get scared because every time we burp or pass wind or get a pain we think it is our fault.
    • Posted

Sorry carmel, I missed this comment.  Yes, I'm scared to eat anything at the moment.  My condition seems to have changed a little over the last couple of days where I'm getting acid in my mouth all the time now, despite the PPIs and dietary changes.  Absolutely everything is giving me acid now sad  Is that usual for LPR?  The ENT wants to do a camera down my throat, he seemed to think that the excess acid was unusual.  Now I'm really scared sad  Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Posted

Sugar, white flower, coffe , black tea , beff, are like poison in your body in general, for reflux the worse, tahat are accidic food. I eate donut and I was dying for 3 days.
    • Posted

I totally agree Carmel.  Eliminating these things is really starting to settle things.
  • Posted

I think this has to be controlled but it doesn't go away.  That's how it has worked out for me.  Make sure to make all the diet and lifestyle changes.

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan, are you still taking PPIs?  How long did it take for you to get things under control?
    • Posted

Sally, 

No, I am not taking PPIs.  I tried them for one week and they made me feel quite ill.  I take melatonin at night and famotidine (H2 blocker) when I have wine or other "bad stuff."  It is under control for a while and then it comes back a little.  It is not ever as bad as it used to be before the diet and lifestyle changes.  It took over a year for me to work this all out. It isn't perfect but much better.

• Posted

Wow, wine....can't even imagine having that.  It sounds like you have a pretty normal life now, which is great.  This is really encouraging to hear as I'm becoming very worried and depressed that it will never improve.  Did you ever have it really bad, ie continuous acid taste in your mouth?
    • Posted

No, I did not have that acid taste.  Sometimes, though, I can actually feel the reflux  come up into my throat past the upper esophageal sphincter.  When that happens, I gargle with baking soda & water or at least alkaline water.  This is the reflux that has the pepsin in it that causes all the damage so you want to denature ( destroy) the pepsin with the alkaline water.

How long have you been trying to get relief?

• Posted

Thanks Susan, that's a great tip!  I'll try the baking soda and water. 

I've had this for a couple of months now, but it's been really bad the last few weeks.  I'm on PPIs but now thinking maybe I should go off them again as I'm still tasting acid in my mouth?  Not sure if I should persist. 

I'm reading stuff on the internet and now I'm paranoid that I'm going to get throat cancer.  Not even sure if that's true.  I really don't know what to do at this point. 

• Posted

If your doctor says you should stay on PPIs, I'd do so.  They really help some people.  There is so much information on this out on the internet it can be overwhelming so I certainly understand that.  Look at the ingredients on your sugar lollies.  Make sure they aren't acidic or you could be making your problem worse. Look for vitamin C, ascorbic acid, etc.
    • Posted

the baking soda simply helps top change your acid environment to alkaline, it does not cure anything just papers over the cracks if  it makes a difference. You must also be careful as it contains salt and a ot of salt is bad for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.