Can anyone help with some advice on LPR?

Posted , 8 users are following.

First of all, it's such a relief to find this forum!  I'm a 45 year old woman and like a lot people here, I've recently been diagnosed with LPR and have been prescribed PPIs.  My other symptoms are a painful burning mouth/nose and sore throat.  I've also just dealt with some awful sinusitis which seems under control now after 2 weeks of antibiotics.  I also wear a denture and as a result of the sore throat, I can't wear it as it's reacting with the sore throat sad  Anyway, that's my story....I just have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with.  First of all, if you keep taking PPI's and make serious lifestyle changes, does this condition eventually resolve itself?  Or are you on PPIs forever?  My mouth really burns and sucking on sugar lollies helps temporarily but I really don't want to keep having sugar or even sugar free lollies.  Any other suggestions to help subside the burning?  I've lifted up the head of my bed which seems to help.  Yikes!  Such a horrible and painful condition, any info, particularly natural healing methods would be much appreciated (as I don't like these drugs), thanks guys smile

1 like, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I got really sick last night after having chewed on sugarless gum pretty much all day (sorbitol has never agreed with me), followed by a couple of sugarless candies in the evening to try and settle the acid.  Boy, was I sick!  So no more sugar for me.  I had Gaviscon at that point which, apart from tasting awful, seemed to settle things down a bit.  I think there is something wrong, because I seem to have the acid all the time, pretty much non stop.  Does anyone else experience this? sad
    • Posted

Hi. I also feel it all of the time now - since my probiotic overdose a week ago.  Before it would be worse in the morning and then sort of lift and nearly go all day with a bit of an iffy stomach which was probably side effects of the cimetidine. Are you going to try anything else?  How is your diet and apetite?
    • Posted

Hi carmel, sorry to hear, our condition sounds similar.  How long have you had the LPR?  Are you taking PPIs?  My diet is as bland as can be (steamed veges and protein) and my apetite is not so good.  Loosing weight very quickly.
    • Posted

Dear Sally,

I have the same thing. I have noticed that when I am stressed out thinking about it , I feel it more.

Do you too?

I went on a vacation and I felt it a lot less. When I came back home I feel it agai!n!

Are you stressed out thinking about it? Do you find yourself your muscles tense out?

I do. Lets keep in touch.

You have a friend. Hugs.

• Posted

Hi pazenmi

Yes, I definately feel worse when I think about it - which is pretty much all the time at the moment.  I went out yesterday for a couple of hours and noticed that it settled down, probably because I wasn't thinking about it.  I'm very stressed at the moment too.  Last night I had a bath as I felt that I was very tense and it helped a lot.  I can recommend it!  Sorry to hear that you have the same symptoms.  Would love to keep in touch xx

• Posted

I'm really worried, I've never felt so sick in all my life sad
    • Posted

Hi Sally. Are you in UK or USA?  What exa\ctly are your symptoms etc. Tell me more please.
    • Posted

Hi Carmel, I'm in Australia actually.  I've been diagnosed with LPR. Symptoms currently are feeling nauseated/sick in the gut with acid taste coming up into my mouth and burning my throat.  I have just began taking the PPIs again, on day 3.  They have definately helped to settle things down, but still feeling queasy.  I've pretty much lost my appetite, but aware that I have to stay healthy.  Eating small meals, mostly steamed veges/fish/chicken.  At the moment it's all mashed as I can't wear my denture.  It's a nightmare.
    • Posted

Do you live in your own Sally? Do you have to prepare the food yourelf? Do you use ready meals or cook from scratch? I had a time where it hurt for me to stand up so I would always just get things out of the freezer and put them in the microwave or hve sandwiches or whatever.  Although they talk about how eating this or that makes you worse it does not with me. But I was knocked for six when I had three high dose probiotics a week ago and have been worse since. Tomatoes etc are not a problem.You find it hard to know what to do dont you beause you cant think of other things or forget it or relax and if you go to bed it is hard to lay still and go to sleep.
    • Posted

Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who loves to cook and is preparing the meals.  Having said that, at the moment it's only steamed vegetables/protein.  As you mentioned, yes it's all consuming at the moment, can't think of anything else, can't get on with life.  How long have you had this condition?
    • Posted

Do you lke fish Sally ?  Think that can help as it is protein but not too heavy and with omega 3.  Easy to cook too. Steamed veg can be very boring cant they but think it is better to have veg than fruit.  I had sinus problems and the medication they gave me for that led to this problem about a year ago.

I was getting much better until I took the large dose of probiotics a week ago and it has knocked my stomach for six.

• Posted

I don't know why I've missed all your comments Carmel, apologies.  Yes, I'm eating quite a bit of fish and find it is good for the stomach.  It sounds like you had too much probiotic at one time.  A naturopath gave me a treatment plan years ago with probiotics.  You buy the powder, not the capsules and only have an eighth of a teaspoon every day.  The moment you feel sick or gassy, you stop them.  When you feel better, you go back having just a little bit again, even just a pinch if necessary. Apparently, that's the safe way to reintroduce probiotics into your body.  It worked for me.
    • Posted

hi Sally, did you try to make smoothies on the morning with Almond milk or coconut, protein, some other fiber spoon, (you know the healthy stuff in powder, than you can add bananas, spinach, guava. It is very healthy and taste good. That  is my breakfast. You do not taste the spinach at all in smoothies  
    • Posted

Thanks Margot, I'll give it a try, sounds delicious! (and very healthy).  Thanks smile
    • Posted

Your welcome. Wish you best. I changed coffe machine for jucer also. Jucing all the vegies and adding fruits for taste is great, add some liqiud vitamins  in is  also great.I hate pills  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.