Can anyone help with some advice on LPR?

Posted , 8 users are following.

First of all, it's such a relief to find this forum!  I'm a 45 year old woman and like a lot people here, I've recently been diagnosed with LPR and have been prescribed PPIs.  My other symptoms are a painful burning mouth/nose and sore throat.  I've also just dealt with some awful sinusitis which seems under control now after 2 weeks of antibiotics.  I also wear a denture and as a result of the sore throat, I can't wear it as it's reacting with the sore throat sad  Anyway, that's my story....I just have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with.  First of all, if you keep taking PPI's and make serious lifestyle changes, does this condition eventually resolve itself?  Or are you on PPIs forever?  My mouth really burns and sucking on sugar lollies helps temporarily but I really don't want to keep having sugar or even sugar free lollies.  Any other suggestions to help subside the burning?  I've lifted up the head of my bed which seems to help.  Yikes!  Such a horrible and painful condition, any info, particularly natural healing methods would be much appreciated (as I don't like these drugs), thanks guys smile

1 like, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I think you just have to be observant to what foods do to you.  Some things that bother one person might not bother another.  I struggled with reflux for a long time while in high school, was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia.  Did Tagamet for a while but it stopped working so I got off.  In college, I had a myriad of symptoms and was diagnosed with gastroparesis (no known cause).  In December 2012 I went gluten free and had NO issues with reflux or gastroparesis.  NONE.  But stress is a killer - this past Christmas, after 2 long, stressful years, the reflux came back and is here with a vengeance.  Have had acid in the back of my throat, difficulty breathing and swallowing, belching, and overall feeling miserable.

I'm hard-pressed to go on medication because I truly believe it's all stress-induced and I'm committed to reducing the anxiety and getting well naturally...if possible.  I do notice the reflux kicks up in correlation to feelings of anxiety or continued focus on the sucky way I'm feeling with the reflux.  I've also been drinking a lot of water - thanks for the tips on the alkaline, I'll have to look into that - and trying to sleep on my left side rather than my back.  I find that it's helpful to keep a list of foods I eat and what happens afterwards, so I know what triggers to avoid.  I never though of sugar!  I put sugar on my cereal today and have the worst burning sensation in the back of my throat right now!  I thought it might be the milk although I haven't had issues with that before.  

I had two instances a few weeks ago where I felt like my vocal chords closed and I couldn't breathe for a few seconds.  I've since been to the ENT, who diagnosed me with LPR (silent reflux) and showed me breathing exercises to help prevent the vocal chord issues...helping with the stress/anxiety, too.  In through the nose, out through pursed lips (as if your lips are around a straw).

Just having the support of people who know what it's like is helpful.  Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Rhita, I am sorry you have all the healh problems.100% you are right . Stress is killer. I got my problem due year long stresses. When I am with friends and having fun and I am relaxed, everything is gone. But I am going to try go for  gluten free diet. you never know.

I told everyone  do not even touch sugar, I use stevia it is greate and natural from plant, no calories also.

try to relax, otherwise will be worse. Massages are great.

• Posted

Hi Rhita, sorry to hear you're also going through a bad patch.  As I'm progressing on the LPR journey, I'm realising more and more that my diet was actually quite high in sugar.  I'm now eating very bland food (steamed protein and vegetables) and as of today the acid is starting to improve! smile  I'm also realizing, as I have had IBS for years, that the LPR can be a symptom of IBS.  In other words, LPR exists but the IBS is causing the food to back up due to bloating, gas etc.  Everyone on this forum has focused on improving the diet and it seems like it's definately working so far.  Sugar (or white cancer as it's sometimes called) is lethal.  It's addictive and does some really nasty things to the body.  It's only now after weaning off it that I'm starting to realise what it was doing to me.  I am also lactose and fructose intolerant (basically if I eat too much it makes me bloat and gassy).  It sounds to me like you may have similar problems?  I can really recommend seeing a dietitian as they know all about this and can help you with a diet plan.  I'm going back in a couple of weeks to talk to them again.  They're wonderful.
    • Posted

True Carmel.  In that case, maybe it would be a functional disorder, ie a weak LES muscle.
    • Posted

To be honest Sally I am desperately trying to convince myself that what I have is not serious, so it suits me to think it is the valve/muscle not working properly. I spend hours on here every day looking things up and researching and sometimes, maybe you have had this too, you look and look and start to feel a bit more comforted and then you see something that makes your hair stand on end, frightening the life out of you, so you can take one step forward and three steps back.
    • Posted

Yes, I understand completely.  I'm also really frightened by what is happening.  It's great to be able to talk to others going through the same problem so you don't feel so alone.
    • Posted

Dear Rita,

I have exactly the same thing you have, hiatal hernia, same symptoms in throat. I have had the hiatal hernia for a while, and before I have had relux once in a while, but it mostly appeared when in stressful situations. Now, I just went thru a super BIG stressful circumstance , plus some other big ones, and Wham! I started to have acid in my thorat now. I am learning to deal with what has happened, but I have noticed that even when I was taking omeprazol 40 mg twice a day for 2 months, I felt the same, i must say I felt worst in my throat. I lowered it to 20 mg twice a day and I felt a bit better.

Now I am taking 150 mg of zantac 2 a day, BUT i noticed that IF I DO NOT RELAXXXXXXXX, I start to feel the throat lump, or acid, or soreness, even if I take the zantac, and when I feeland concentrate in the symptoms.., It GETS WORSE!

I have found a verse in the Bible that says: " in quietness and confidence is your strength", When I repeatit, and I start to feel a rest in my mind s, soul and body,and when I relax my tensed shoulders and stomach muscles( by the way, the stomach muscles are super tight ALWAYS!) and take a slow deep breaths in and blow it slowly thru my mouth. I start not feel the throat discomfort that much.

I just came back from a vacation, and there the last days I just took zantac 75 mg< i run out of the 150mg, and when i relaxed and took deep breaths between bites in the meals, and relaxed muscles, etc i almost did not feel the throat symptoms, even in the evening , but i took the second zantac any way...when i came back home.. statred to think about it and wham! i ahve them again!!

what do you think of that?

yesterday i did not do what i told you , and my throat was sore all day. tell me your opinion and maybe what are you going to do for your stress. hugs. i="" run="" out="" of="" the="" 150mg,="" and="" when="" i="" relaxed="" and="" took="" deep="" breaths="" between="" bites="" in="" the="" meals,="" and="" relaxed="" muscles,="" etc="" i="" almost="" did="" not="" feel="" the="" throat="" symptoms,="" even="" in="" the="" evening="" ,="" but="" i="" took="" the="" second="" zantac="" any="" way...when="" i="" came="" back="" home..="" statred="" to="" think="" about="" it="" and="" wham!="" i="" ahve="" them="" again!!="" what="" do="" you="" think="" of="" that?="" yesterday="" i="" did="" not="" do="" what="" i="" told="" you="" ,="" and="" my="" throat="" was="" sore="" all="" day.="" tell="" me="" your="" opinion="" and="" maybe="" what="" are="" you="" going="" to="" do="" for="" your="" stress.="" hugs.="">

what do you think of that?

yesterday i did not do what i told you , and my throat was sore all day. tell me your opinion and maybe what are you going to do for your stress. hugs. >

• Posted

Do you get pain in your stomach with the hiatus hernia? I am waiting for a proper diagnosis and get terrible pains there sometimes, then the pain goes away altogether or almost and then returns maybe a few weeks later.
  • Posted

Hi all,

Managing LPR .

I just wanted to say that I've had LPR for nearly three years, and at times its been bad in the past, but more recently I'm managing it very well thanks to a number of things.

Firstly digestive enzymes. I take one just after lunch, and another after a light evening meal (but sometimes I dont eat or drink in the evening at all)..  The brand I take is called Udo's Choice 'Digestive Enzyme Blend'. These are purely plant-based enzymes, and although I was skeptical before I got them, I find they help digest food so well that I get little or no mucus overnight - or if I end up eating chocolate or cakes etc - the mucus is much thinner than usual.

The other thing that help greatly is exercise - I do some walking and cycling, nothing over the top, but it all helps.  Plus, as Ive mentioned before in other posts, I practice regular meditation (TM) twice a day and find it invaluable for keeping stress levels way down. TM is the only relaxation technique that is recommended by the American Heart Association as it has been found to reduce blood pressure significantly.

(Google 'American Heart Association recommends Transcendental Meditation' ).

I'm convinced LPR is made much worse by stress and anxiety -which TM helps to defuse.

We also of course need to avoid wearing tight clothing and belts etc, as well as avoiding fizzy drinks, ice-cream and chocolate etc. I also find posture is vital..as even a slight stoop or slouch can put pressure on the the stomach / diaprahm and force air and fluids upward. For me also, wheat/yeast creates bloating..and a similar effect to slouching.

I also find that the time of year has a bearing on my LPR symptoms. with winter and cold damp weather causing thicker mucus (which the digestive enzymes will no doubt help to offset.) and spring summer helping to reduce symptoms, epecially by allowing us to get out more and walk on the beach etc..and thus also helping to take our minds of LPR symptoms.

I also follow mostly a vegetarian diet, plus I use health tips from Ayurveda (the ancient Indian system of healthcare) which recommends drinking warm regularly -in order to flush out toxins and thin mucus.

If you tend to be of large build, or are overweight and tend towards dullness or depression , then ayurveda classes your body type as being Kapha (Google "Maharishi ayurveda -how to manage kapha imbalance'.)

If you are thin build and tend to worry a lot..and cant get off to sleep quickly then Google "Maharishi ayurveda -how to manage Vata imbalance'.

If you are fair skinned, freckly and/or tend to get impatient or angry quickly then Google

"Maharishi ayurveda -how to manage Pitta imbalance'.

Hope this helps,

Rob

• Posted

Hi Rob, Am wondering why you take the digestive enzyme after the meal instead of before? Sometimes I take one and always feel very sick for a few hours after.
    • Posted

Hi there.

Its just my preference to take the enzyme just after a meal ..for me its seems to work better.(plus I tend to split the capsule open and put the powder into my mouth then have a few sips of water). .

I'd read various forums about the best time to take the enzymes, some say before, others during or after. The bottle itself advises not to take on an empty stomach as it may cause some tummy upset.

• Posted

Mine are tablets so I will try it during the meal and after the meal and see which works best, thanks for that Rob.
    • Posted

Thanks Rob for your suggestions.  I'm also interested in tackling this problem holistically and I've been doing most of what you suggested and have found that it helps, particularly the slouching.  I will investigate the enzymes too.  I'm also interested in ayurveda medicine.....something else to look into, thanks! smile ps I have been on a strict natural diet for the last week or so and have noticed significant improvement in my symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.