Can anyone please HELP me?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everytone, I am a 22 year old male, a university student. I really believe that I suffer from Hypothyroidism, these are my symptoms and I have been having it for the past 5 years. Lethargic, sleepy all the time, tight eyes (like when you wake up in the morning), memory fog (I am struggling with my degree as I am doing BSc Biochemistry final year, year by year I am getting bad results), cold feet and hands, red lips (sometime, like I have lipstick), no motivation, faster heart beat (around 90 or 95 bpm (done so may ecg, 24hr monitoring, everything was normal). In a blood test around 2 years ago, I was found out to have low b12 and I have been taking cyanocobalamin. couple of blood tests over the past year have shown my b12 levels are now in the normal range. However I still feel all the symptoms. I had a thyroid tests about 2 or 3 years ago but the doctor said everything is normal. I have been going to my GP every month literally to say the same things over and over but they keep saying, its because I am a student, am anxious about my exams or I have depression etc. I don't have any of these, I am more depressed now because nobody take me serious, they say I am lazy and depresse etc. I feel like commitiing suicide because I can't study, don't feel like going to work. My hair is also thinning very fast (but my dad is bald so I can understand), I feel like I have lost a few cm in heigh) My memory is getting bad day by day. Does anyone know what is wrong with me, I really think it is hypothyroidism (I have been learning about this disease during my course and it really helped my understanding), but I am not sure. Please give me any advice, I am fed up with my life!

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It's not necessary to know everything but it certainly gives me peace of mind and since if it is thyroid related it's a life long journey its in your interests to know as much as possible. You don't sound like a victim so getting a handle on it will suit your mindset.

The body does want and need balance and you'd be surprised how far a few vitamins and minerals can take you in clearing depression and other symptoms. Vit b complex , vit d zinc selenium. Iron are great to optimise anyway.

Take care and hope you get it all back to feeling great.

• Posted

Oh and magnesium. Just for starters.
  • Posted

Also get tested for Epstein-Barr virus as some people have it and do not know it. As others have said - seek out the testing if you have the funds and  get it sorted.
  • Posted

Hello everyone, just got home after the appointment with the endocrinologist. I had written all my symptoms on a paper beforehand and I handed it to her, she asked me everything she could possibly ask about my health and condition, she checked my height, weight, and checked my neck etc. These are the blood tests she has asked me to do: 1) Thyroid function tests LC7 (FT4 + TSH), Thyroid antibodies, Free T3, Glycated Hb, Cortisol, Fe & TIBC, Ferritin, Vitamin D, PTH, Prolactin, FSH, LH, Testosterone. In addition, to check my pituitary function IGF-1 and Growth Hormone. She said it will cost me around £500 but told me I could give it to my GP and ask to get this blood test done. Do you guys think, my GP will give me a blood tests of all these, if not I will have to get it done private. Thanks for your support.
    • Posted

She sounds thorough.You must be relieved having seen someone at last,and they listened to you! You can only ask your GP.They might not be able to do them all.The labs mine go to don't test for T3,for instance.Your GP can advise on that.Glad you've been seen.Gill
    • Posted

Hi, glad the endo is workimg out ok. It's worth talking to your gp and explaining you wrre so concerned that you paid to see a private endocrinologist and she's recommended these blood tests. Ask gp Iif it's possible to get any of the blood tests done on the nhs. Do remember to take a copy of the blood test form for your own records (they'll take it off you to send with the blood sample). So far, so good...
  • Posted

I am with Sara these are the tests you need to get even if you have to beg your parents to pay for them, I paid for mine myself and that is how I managed to get treatment.  If your gp wont help find a new one, print off the thyroid symptom checklist from thyroid uk's website and tick the ones you have and discuss with your gp, litterally go throught the list. This may get you some leverage for further tests or endo appointment.  You can ask for a second opinion, also if they do the tests ensure that you ask for a copy of the results.  You can always post them on the site for advice.

The nhs support forum for hypothyroid patients is linked to the thyroid uk site.  There is lots of help and understanding avaialbe there for you, re blood tests see blue horizon website they have drop in centres in london and will be cheaper than using the private dr.

• Posted

Hello guys, so I went to see my GP in the hope to persuade her to get atleast some of the blood test my Endocrinologist asked me for, which if I had to do privately would cost me around £500. So I told her all my problems and I also acted a little bit like I am too tired and can't even stay awake in order to persuade her. At the end she listened to me and gave me all the blood test my endocrinologist asked except the IGF-1, GH and prolactin (she said these are unnecessary and gave me the other tests):  1) Thyroid function tests LC7 (FT4 + TSH), Thyroid antibodies, Free T3, Glycated Hb, Cortisol, Fe & TIBC, Ferritin, Vitamin D, PTH, Prolactin, FSH, LH and Testosterone. In addition she also added Full blood count and also fasting Blood glucose level. I am going to get these done tomorrow. Thanks for eveyones support.
    • Posted

Excellent! Tomorrow when you get the blood tests done, ask how long it'll be for the results to be ready. Then be sure to ask for a printout of the results (this should have the reference range next to each result). This is needed as different hospitals have different reference ranges (presumably because the blood analsing machines used are different, or are calibrated, differently). It's also worth booking an appointment with your doctor for when the results will be ready, so that you can discuss them. If you post them here, people will be able to advise/explain them, so that you are prepared for when you see your doctor.
  • Posted

Hi

How are you getting on?

Barbara x

• Posted

Hi Barbara. I am waiting for the blood results, which should come by this wednesday. I will put up my results here once I get it. Hope you are doing well!
    • Posted

Hi,Remo

I'm still battling! (With all the auto immune conditions I have). Just spent some time on the computer - which causes me muscular skeletal problems, so I'm about to do some physio exercises and go swimming to combat it. Are you feeling any less depressed?

• Posted

Hopefully you will better soon! I am ok now, I am anxiously waiting for my blood test to be abnormal. Not that I wish to be sick but I prefer getting diagnosed rather than going through an undiagnosed problem and keep getting normal result.
    • Posted

Thank you. It's ironic wanting to be abnormal, isn't it? Mind you, remember my earlier post - if the results are 'normal' all it means is that the doctor's don't yet know what is wrong with you. The other thing to remember, is that thyroid disease is changeable so a normal result one month may not be the next. In the mean time, research Kelp and foods to support thyroid function. Have you looked at thyroid uk?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.