Can anyone please HELP me?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everytone, I am a 22 year old male, a university student. I really believe that I suffer from Hypothyroidism, these are my symptoms and I have been having it for the past 5 years. Lethargic, sleepy all the time, tight eyes (like when you wake up in the morning), memory fog (I am struggling with my degree as I am doing BSc Biochemistry final year, year by year I am getting bad results), cold feet and hands, red lips (sometime, like I have lipstick), no motivation, faster heart beat (around 90 or 95 bpm (done so may ecg, 24hr monitoring, everything was normal). In a blood test around 2 years ago, I was found out to have low b12 and I have been taking cyanocobalamin. couple of blood tests over the past year have shown my b12 levels are now in the normal range. However I still feel all the symptoms. I had a thyroid tests about 2 or 3 years ago but the doctor said everything is normal. I have been going to my GP every month literally to say the same things over and over but they keep saying, its because I am a student, am anxious about my exams or I have depression etc. I don't have any of these, I am more depressed now because nobody take me serious, they say I am lazy and depresse etc. I feel like commitiing suicide because I can't study, don't feel like going to work. My hair is also thinning very fast (but my dad is bald so I can understand), I feel like I have lost a few cm in heigh) My memory is getting bad day by day. Does anyone know what is wrong with me, I really think it is hypothyroidism (I have been learning about this disease during my course and it really helped my understanding), but I am not sure. Please give me any advice, I am fed up with my life!

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello everyone. So I just rang the surgery to ask for my test result and they said everything is normal. So I asked specifically for the Thyroid function result, its the following: TSH - 2.23, FT4 - 12.5, and FT3 - 4.50. I may go and get the full blood result copy tomorrow, but i lost the hope, I don't know what is then wrong with me. Can anyone give me an analysis of my result please?
    • Posted

Do go and get the results as next to each result they will tell you the range that is considered normal. The normal range varies beteen hospitals/testing methods/ machines so you need this information to understand your results. So do we!
  • Posted

Hello everyone, I have an update about my full blood test result. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!

As I said before I called my surgery to ask for my test result couple of days ago and they said eveything is normal. So I went down there to collect a copy of my result and guess what my T3, T4 and TSH all are normal BUT I am vitamin D deficient. My vitamin D is 21 nmol/L (Range: 80 - 150nmol/L). Is this the root cause of all my problems? Why didn't my GP call me if they saw it clearly written as Vitamin D deficient? I had a huge collection of tests but I am only putting the things abnormal and also my thyroid function (which is normal):

Serum free T4 level - 12.5 pmol/L (Range: 9 - 19pmol/L)

Serum TSH level - 2.23 mu/L (Range: 0.30 - 5mu/L)

Serum free T3 level - 4.50 pmol/L (3.25 - 6.21pmol/L)

Abonormal Tests

25 OH Vitamin D - 21 nmol/L (Range: 80 - 150nmol/L) - - - - Deficient

Mean corpusc. Hb. conc. (MCHC) - 357 g/L (Range: 310 - 350g/L) - - - Higher

Serum Iron level - 35 umol/L (Range: 14 - 30umol/L) - - - Higher

Serum folate - 3.9 ug/L (Range: 4 - 18ug/L)

Can anyone give me their take on this?

Thanks

• Posted

Hello Remote:  I am an RN and I am in the USA.  Low Vit D happens in people and that can make you feel like crap!  As we age, our body stops being able to make Vit D from Sunlight and food.  You can replace Vit D with a good calcium vitamin.  When Vit D is low, you may find headaches, muscle cramps/pain. It seems you have a mineral problem so I suggest a good  Multi-vitamin.  get one without iron since your iron is high. If the minerals in your body are off, you will feel awful.

Your minerals in your body are Iron, sodium, potassium, B-12, B group of vitamins, magnesium.

Your thyroid levels are okay and that is helpful to you.  Men do not lose iron monthly like women do, due to (menstruation), so you seem to have high MCHC and Iron levels.  You may find vitamins for males, that  have no iron in them.  Avoid Red Meats since you do not need to get more iron in you.   I hope this helps.

• Posted

How are you getting on?
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, I got Vitamain D3 and folic acid tablets prescribed and I have started taking them yesterday, I have also added magnesium citrate with it. Nothing different as of yet, but i know it may take a long time for my vitamin d level to increase. keeping my fingers crossed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.