Can anyone share their cystoscopy experience? Not sure what to expect

Posted , 9 users are following.

My doctor wants to do an in-office Cystoscopy. I would really like to hear some full stories to know what to expect, thanks.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Had 2 over the last year one was to fine out why I could not gey a catheter in.  He found a stricture.  The 2nd one I had my prostate was inlarged.  I will be having another one on Dec 7  I have to check to see if the stricture is worse.  Havng to force myself to pee.  It reakky does nor hurt they will put gel in your penis and wait a few minutes before he put the scope in.  It is a little uncomfortable but you should be fine ..Ken  
  • Posted

I had 2 this past year. Do NOT agree to local anesthesia. My first was under local and was the most painful experience of my life, worse than recovering from open heart surgery. My second was under general anesthesia. I have no memory of the procedure.

The first few days after the procedure, you will have blood in the urine. It will stop.

The first time you urinate after the procedure will not be comfortable. You will feel tremendous pressure, although that pressure is not painful; just very uncomfortable. After that first urination, the pressure will return to normal.

I had difficulty with aim for a short time after each procedure. That aim problem lasted about a month each time.

Your urine stream will be much more forceful, closer to what you know as normal. I am glad I had each procedure. My biggest issue each time was the idea of a doctor inserting a medical instrument into my urethra. I never liked the idea. It went against what I considered common sense. Once I got over that psychological barrier, the procedures and, most importantly, the recovery was quick and relatively easy. Just do exactly what the urologist tells you to do. You will most probably be very pleased with the results.

• Posted

Wow those effects last a month? Interesting. Thanks for the reply.
  • Posted

Hi RiverB,

i have just had my cystoscopy on friday ,  I was terrified , I couldnt eat,sleep, i was seriously going to cancel, but i knew i couldnt as I was having pelvic pain for months and I really needed to know what was going on ..

but please please do not worry as i didnt feel a thing and the majority of people on thid forum will tell you the same thing , i really worried for nothing , of course you are going to feel anxious ..

Thankfully everything is OK ...  

• Posted

this MAY be partly true for women, but for men especially those with prostate enlargement, do not expect such an easy experience.
  • Posted

I developed bladder polyps, low grade cancer, 12 yrs ago.  I've had approximately 15 cystoscopy's without any problems.  Except for the surgery, I've never had bleeding and only slight and short lived burning when urinating.  This procedure is done in office and really no big deal. While I don't look forward to this yearly procedure, I have great relief when I'm pronouced polyp free. Don't fret and good luck.
    • Posted

We all have to do what we need to help our health.  Having one done this Monday.  I have a stricture and some burning when I pee.  Was doing great but when you get older everything goes south.  Take care and just relax.....Ken
  • Posted

How did yours go.as I've written on other discussions I regret mine due to aftereffects. .inky been 1 week.i would definitely have general anesthesia. Mine was only local in office setting. Good luck.
    • Posted

Had mine done in the office last Monday to check my stricture.  Only have the numing jel.  Stricture was fine but one of my implant from the uro-lift is not right he try to fix it.  Now that hurt.  Having it replaced next month.....Had 5 in the last year no problem  Ken  
    • Posted

Sorry about your implant issue.I really regret getting cystoscopy. ..it greatly aggravated the penis shaft pain on left side..original reason I went to this urologist. It has been week....and really regret aftereffects making penis pain worse. Hopefully I'll recover from any damage or worsening pain done.

Michael

• Posted

I am sorry that your having a problem and it is painfull.  I have had only pain 2 time once when he try to get into my prostate that hurt . That was before I had the Uro-lift and this last time.  He was talking to me and showing me that he can get through the stricture and they he found the implant.  He also informed the company about the one implant because it looseing.  Don't know if that happen to anyone one else.  My urologist is very nice and gental.  It was funny when he found the implant he goes what do you have in there.  I felt like saying How do I know you have the camera.......Good luck Ken   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.