Can anyone tell me what ths parathyroid scan entails?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am being referred to a surgeon to discuss a parathyroid operation. I am waiting to go for a scan. Can anyone tell me what the scan entails? I know dye is put into you. How long does the scan take? Thanks

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Shirley and Angela. This week I had an ultrasound and a CT scan. The ultrasound showed a tumor on a parathyroid gland. Everything is done now and just waiting for surgery. Havent felt well for twelve months now, but its hard to explain in what way. I get tired easily and emotional some days. Hoping I will feel better in myself when this is sorted. Will keep you posted.

• Posted

Hi Gaynor and Angela

Good news about your operation date Gaynor, wish I had mine! Keep in touch. My surgeon said January and the pre op runs out middle of February but no letter yet. Hope it arrives soon before the snow, we live in a very rural area 15 miles from the hospital!! Will contact hospital after the holidays.

Good that your calcium has gone down Angela. My vit d must be very low now and I have hungry bones. I was diagnosed 2 years ago.

Shirley

• Posted

HI Shirley and Angela. Havent posted for a while as there hasent been much to say. Finally got my appt. for surgery on Jan 12th ! Just want to get it sorted now as its taken 12 months to get to this point. Getting prolonged headaches sometimes, and bone pain. Plus a general feeling of just not feeling right. You will know what I mean !! Am wondering now how to expect to feel after the surgery. Will post again when I am sorted and hope you are both progressing with our common problem
    • Posted

Hi Gaynor! So pleased to hear that you now have a date!! Well done. It gives you something to work towards. 

My surgery was about 9 weeks ago now. I still feel tired but just so pleased that my calcium is now back to normal. That was the biggest goal for me!!

I have a kidney lasering session on 5th jan. To laser some more kidney stones

Wishing you all the best - be great to get sorted won't it?!

Angela. 

• Posted

I am in the US.  In 2008 I had three of my four hyperparathyroid glands removed as well as my thyroid, which had nodules but were non-cancerous.  My hyperparathyroid glands became enlarged from taking a certain medication over a long period of time, and were causing me to produce three times as much calcium as I should be doing.  I first went to an endocrinologist and she did a number of needle bioposies, and they were sent to a lab.  Whether anything was cancerous was undetermined at that point so I was then sent to an otolaryngologist for surgery.  I did have a lot of other test first that I remember - bone density, EKG, etc. There was nothing cancerous in the final outcome, and my calcium level is fine now with just the one gland left.
  • Posted

Hi Shirley and Angela. As promised here is my update. Had surgery on monday 12th jan to remove tumorous parathyroid gland at Heartlands hospital in Birmingham. The op lasted one and three quarter hours and spent just the one night on the ward. Apart from tiredness and some difficulty swallowing l feel better than expected, and blood calcium and pth levels are right down. My headaches had become extremely bad so hopefully they are a thing of the past. Next step is to see rheumatologist for six monthly injections of denosumab ( the better alternative to alendronic acid ) to combat my osteoporosis. Good wishes to you both and everyone else on the same journey.
    • Posted

Hi Gaynor!!

Well done re having the op!! Hopefully you will feel miles better now. Good luck with the injections.

How do they know you have osteoporosis ? They didn't give me a scan at all? Should I ask for one? I have an op on my kidney stones

on Monday xxx not looking forward to the stents :-(

• Posted

Glad your op went well.. Hope mine goes as well ( when it eventually arrives!) I don't know what its like to feel normal!!! At least something is being done about your osteoporosis. Hope the injection will not be too painful.

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley,

I don't know whether you read this or not. I am on my first leg of the journey. My HPT was discovered on a scan for my parotid gland. The radiologist kindly had a look when I mentioned that I had very high levels of calcium in my blood. Now I know why I want to stay in bed all day! I have an appointment with an Endocologist two days before my Grandsons wedding on July 16th. With all that radioactive material I should certainly glow at the wedding :-)

It's been a pleasure to read your thread with Gaynor. I hope you are both well now, and don't feel like c**p all the time.

Thank you both for starting this thread

Sue x

• Posted

I forgot to add, did you had trouble breathing before your surgeries. I am asthmatic but this is different. For example, if I try to sniff it's difficult to get air into my lungs. I also get out of breath very quickly. My asthma was controlled but I am taking more and more meds just to breathe. :-(
    • Posted

Hi Sue

I am also asthmatic. The surgeon was aware of it and it didnt affect my op. 4 months on and the scar has virtually vanished ! Just have to take vit D every day for the forseable future. My endocrinologist wouldnt refer me for surgery without a bone scan, and sure enough the DEXA scan showed I have Osteoporosis. Believe me I was very worried about the proceedure for parathyroid surgery, but it wasnt half as bad as I expected. Hope you enjoy your grandsons wedding Sue. Keep in touch x

• Posted

Hi. I'm so glad my operation is over. I am also asthmatic and take Qvar inhaler twice a day. I had no problems. My scar nearly 3 months on can hardley be seen. The endochrine surgeon used glue and it is very neat. I feel so much better, more energy. I have to take vit d long term and have a dexta scan every 3 years I've been told. I'm still having head sweats so have not been discharged yet. Having a couple more tests then a follow up in 2 months. I found this forum brilliant, it really helped. Forgot to say my parathyroid and calcium are fine now.

Enjoy the wedding. If you need to ask anything get in touch.

Shirley.

• Posted

Hi Ladies, Thank you so much for your reply...forgive me I am absolutely whacked tonight.

I'm not too afraid of the surgery, but it's how to cope until then. I am seeing my GP on Thursday, I need to chat with her. She has diagnosed me with type 2 Diabetes.. I have a body mass index of 23!!!! My bloods are 6.1

and I believe it could be related to PT

I'm also noticing a rapid deterioration in my eyesight and acute menopausal symptoms, including the hot sweats! I've been through that already, thank you very much! wink'

Did either of you experience this I wonder?

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply...forgive me I am absolutely whacked tonight.

I'm not too afraid of the surgery, but it's how to cope until then. I am seeing my GP on Thursday. She has diagnosed me with type 2 Diabetes.. I have a body mass index of 23!!!!

I'm also noticing a rapid deterioration in my eyesight and acute menopausal symptoms, including the hot sweats! I've been through that already, thank you very much! wink'

Did either of you experience this I wonder?

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Just found this web site it's very helpfull,

You Might want to read my message to shirley at the bottom of this thread about the scans etc.

I'm feeling a bit nervous about op- yet looking forward to feeling well.

Hope the scans go well.

Nicola

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.