Can BPPV cause you to see eye floaters?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve experienced vertigo twice..during the night in December and during the night in February. I’m assuming it was bppv..I’ve been to the doctors and they were no help and kept misdiagnosing me and just prescribed me anxiety pills. So doing my research on the Internet, it seems that what I had was bppv. 

So the last time I had the vertigo sensation was in February during the night. But then a few weeks later in March, I noticed I was seeing eye floaters. I went to my regular eye doctor and she said my eyes were fine and that it’s normal to have eye floaters..they’re just collagen fragments in the eyes that everyone has.

I wanted a 2nd opinion so I went to the retina doctor. He looked inside my eyes and said everything looks healthy. He just said I had normal eye floaters and that I just happen to see them now. I asked him if vertigo could cause me to see eye floaters and he said it doesn’t. But I just thought it was too much of a coincidence that now I’m seeing eye floaters after having those vertigo spells.

So is it possible that the vertigo some how triggered me to see eye floaters now?  Or is it just a coincidence?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Age is also a factor. Menieres can rear it's ugly head in your 40s. This is also the time your eyes can give you issues. I have had a astigmatism my whole life. Never had any issues seeing even tiny things til after my 40s. Same time menieres kicked in hard.

• Posted

Ssthb, I deal with vertigo brought on by occasional migraines which will cause my eye sight to go blurry right before the headache sets in. I do notice my eyes sight doesn't fully recover until a few days later. My friends who also have BPPV have never mentioned eye floaters before. It could be linked but it could also be caused by something else? Two eye doctors have mentioned your eyes are fine, but have the recommend you speak with your doctor about having an MRI or inquire about what other health conditions may cause these eye floater feelings?

?Thankfully there is a lot that can be done for BPPV, it just takes finding that right stuff but if you keep experience vertigo you may want to talk to your doctor or see an ENT who might listen more. I hope you are able to figure out what is causing the floaters.

• Posted

Yes I believe that they are related because I have the same thing. I've had bppv for several years and when I get episodes I always get terrible floaters in my left eye only as well as flashing lights. It's makes me even dizzier than before. If it is bppv the ENT should be able to give you an adjustment to clear that up. If the doctor said your eyes are fine then I would believe him.

• Posted

What exactly are the flashing lights that you experience? My retina doctor asked me if I see those and I said I don’t think I have.

Are the flashing lights like multiple lights that flash like multiple camera flashes going off?

Are they big and noticeble flashes? Or are they tiny little flashes?

• Posted

Another question..how come only some people get bppv? I know tons and tons of people who toss and turn while sleeping and they never have bppv problems. It’s kinda frustrating that this happened to me all because I turned around in bed while sleeping. How come some people are prone to bppv and others aren’t?
    • Posted

Unfortunately I don't have the answer to that.

• Posted

Usually it's something that dislodges a crystal first. The tossing and turning in bed makes the crystal move to a place and settle that then causes the vertigo/dizziness. The epely meneuver is then preformed to move it to another location where it will not cause these problems. A car accident can dislodge a crystal. A trip to the dentist. A fall. Things like that.

• Posted

That is 100% accurate information. Also my first episode was caused by a over-aggressive massage in my neck area. Can you think of anything that would have caused this to happen to you?
    • Posted

I got a episode started at the dentist office once. He just got a fancy new chair. Tilted me back so far I was about standing on my head. When I got up I had a couple short episodes of vertigo. Half way home it got violant. What a nightmare.
    • Posted

I can see that happening. Ever since my first episode I tell the dentist NOT to lay me that flat when they do my teeth.
    • Posted

The 2 times I had  vertigo (once in December and once in February) were both similar. They both happened in the middle of the night. But the night before, I usually lay on the other end of my bed to watch tv and I’m using my laptop. Then I fall asleep while using my laptop and I’m laying on my left side. Then a few hours later I wake up and flip over to get to the other side of my bed and then I lay on my right side. Then a couple hours later I suddenly wake up and had the room spinning sensation. So that’s what happened both times. I’m assuming it was switching from one end to the bed to another and flipping sides that caused something to happen
    • Posted

No I don't think that should have anything to do with it. You've obviously somehow had dislodge that Crystal prior to that evening and it was floating around and just happened to land in the wrong place while you were sleeping. Can you remember anything that you were doing during the few days before that that would cause your neck to possibly Snapback or your head?

• Posted

The only thing I can think of is I do a lot of dishwashing at the restaurant I work at. I’m washing pots, dishes etc for 40min-hr Monday-Friday and I have my neck and head looking down the whole time. So it does strain on my neck. I started washing the dishes in June 2016. By March 2017, I told them I want to stop doing the dishes because it caused me too much strain and stress. So I’ve stopped it ever since. And I’ve been trying to keep my neck in proper position since March 
    • Posted

Doesnt take much. Had a car bump me from behind at a red light. No real damage. Was enough to trip my vertigo tho. Felt funny that night. Continued for a week. Then full blown vertigo set in.
  • Posted

Oh ok I guess I didn’t know that a prior incident had to happen to the neck/head in order for bppv to occur. I just thought that switching sides in bed or turning/tossing around in bed causes the crystals to move around. 

Ever since i had the last spinning sensation incident in February, I’ve been so nervous and anxiety-stricken about getting vertigo again that I stop turning/tossing in bed and I only stay in the same spot and same side while I sleep. 

• Posted

Have you done the Epley move for the BPPV ? I've had BPPV twice and both times the Epley fixed the vertigo.  Also noticing the floaters just sounds like anxiety causing you to hyper sensitive about your health. 

• Posted

A cold can also set it off. coughing, blowing your nose hard. I fear sinus infections. You lay down, the crap drains into your ears. That happens I am screwed.
    • Posted

No I did not do the Epley the 2 Times I had vertigo. When I got it in December during the night, I just got up and did my normal routine of getting ready and felt better once I got up and going. 

Then I got the vertigo again during the night in February, so I sat up in bed cause it felt better that way. I got up and got ready for work and it seemed to feel better once I got up and started to go about my day. I did feel alittle ‘off’ the next couple days. But then everything seemed to have settled afterwards and felt better. 

I know someone who works for an ENT and i told her about the vertigo episodes during the night. And she said it was best to just get up and start your day normally and go to work,etc and the crystals will eventually settle throughout the day and it’ll get better. So that’s what I did back then. 

I haven’t had a vertigo episode since February. But I still worry about it happening again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.