Can diazepam cause panic attacks

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have severe anxiety and panic attacks. Am on 40mg citalopram for 4 month with no improvement. Doc just gave me diazepam. Its not helping and is making me have more attacks.. Anyone else experienced this...

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes benzos have this effect. I think you need to discuss this with your dr.Citalopram has lots of undesirable side effects too.

• Posted

Hi, it's very rare for benzos to increase anxiety, they are one of the most effective drugs to use to battle anxiety (only in short term or for infrequent use due to addiction potential). What dose of Diazepam are you taking? It might just be you are taking too low a dose to feel the anxiolytic and relaxant effects.

• Posted

Hi again Sarah

I have sent you a PM that I feel may be useful re diazepam.

​As I said previously these are opiates and NHS England is advising on their prescribing as well as on the opiods that do not alleviate chronic pain.

• Posted

Hi Harriet, what opiates are you referring to? Diazepam is a Benzodiazepine and Citalopram is a SSRI, so I'm not sure what opiate Sarah has mentioned?

• Posted

Sorry I meant to write benzos but was distracted by an urgent phone call!!!!!. I did refer to them as benzos in my initial postings though.

?Citalopram - ssri's. These have a 

bad press and have lots of adverse side effects.

I included the latest info re the opiods as they have now been proven to be ineffective in treating chronic pain . Article in the TIMES..NHS England have disclosed this info.

in the Tmes about 

• Posted

No worries, I just wanted to ensure Sarah didn't get confused and thought Diazepam was an opioid/opiate.

I agree that opioids need to be avoided for anything other than short term pain relief and certainly wasn't advocating their use.

SSRIs do have lots of downsides, but despite the fact I am deeply wary of them, Sertraline played a massive role in saving my life as I was suicidal beforehand and getting stable on the medication really made a huge difference. So I'd say SSRIs can still play a helpful role, particularly with severe clinical depression, but people need a holistic approach and not just take an antidepressant and think they will get better. If people have mild or slightly moderate depression and/or anxiety then I'd always recommend trying recovery options without using SSRIs or other antidepressants.

Benzodiazapines need to be treated with real caution too. They are highly effective fort anxiety, sleep disorder or muscle spasms/tension but again should only be used short term as addiction is a real risk and they are hard to withdraw from.

• Posted

Hi I'm on diazepam but find them calming but it doesn't last long.i know some people feel awful on them and can make your anxiety worse. The problem is that there very addictive but saying that so are a lot of antidepressants it's a vicious circle xx

• Posted

Hi Yes benzos are extremely addictive and people quickly develop an intolerance to them so require higher and higher doses . Benzos have a long list of very nasty side effects including suicide ideation, anxiety, depression, light headedness, vertigo/dizziness, paranoia spasms, nausea, diarrhoea , respiratory problems ,seizures, panic attacks, insomnia, fatigue, depersonalisation etc,etc.

That is why they are to be used very cautiously. They are terrible to withdraw from and it has to be done very, very slowly.

?NHS England are trying to dissuade the prescribing of them and promoting non medication alternatives to deal with anxiety.

• Posted

Benzos are terrible drugs with harmful long term effects. I personally would discourage anyone from taking them. They can cause suicide ideation, anxiety, depression, suicide, irritability, light headedness, dizziness, vertigo, spasms, neuropathy, seizures etc etc. It is all there on the PIL and internet.

• Posted

While I agree that Benos are addictive and I wouldn't advise anyone to start taking them unless absolutely necessary so are a lot of antidepressants and other meds the list of things you have put can also be found on a lot of other meds to antidepressants being one of them so I think you could be frightening people

• Posted

Just conveying info that is on the PILS and why NHS England are against them being prescribed. Benzos have wrecked lives. Other forms of non drug treatment are available that is what NHS England are saying.
    • Posted

What are these none drug treatments when I saw a doctor I said l know pills Arnt the answer to which he replied what is.like I said I know bensos are not good long term but also a lot of antidepressants can ruin lives
  • Posted

Tried to send a list of side effects of benzos but gone to moderator. Do not know why. Benzos are big business for Big Pharma.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.