Can diazepam cause panic attacks

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have severe anxiety and panic attacks. Am on 40mg citalopram for 4 month with no improvement. Doc just gave me diazepam. Its not helping and is making me have more attacks.. Anyone else experienced this...

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. It could be worth trying a different antidepressant for your anxiety before trying benzos. Some antidepressants are particularly good at helping with anxiety. I believe fluoxetine is good for anxiety as is venlafaxine.

There are also other meds you could try if you haven't already - propranolol is a beta blocker which is commonly used for anxiety.

As you will be aware, benzos are serious drugs and highly addictive. BUT sometimes our anxiety can be extreme enough to warrant their use, particularly if you have tried everything else. If you are struggling with diazepam it would probably be worth trying a different one such as alprazolam (Xanax) or lorazepam (Ativan).

Only you know how badly your anxiety is affecting you so please don't feel bullied into any decision, you need to weigh up the pros and cons against your current situation.

Are you also receiving some kind of therapy or counselling? If not, please do look into this to try to get to the bottom of why you are feeling like this rather than just treating the symptoms. Mindfulness and breathing techniques can also really help and there are many good phone apps to help with this - I use one called Insight Timer which is great (and free!)

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I have problems with MRIs and have had diazepam increase my anxiety so much that I began crawling out of the MRI tube. So the next attempt I was given lorazepam and along with not helping my anxiety one iota, I also began convulsing in both arms and legs once in the tube. So I'm not sure why this happens to me on benzos but I always thought I was the only one. I wonder if I need a higher dose but haven't tried that yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.