Can Gastritis be cured?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Gastritis via a doctors examination, I havent had any tests.

I have a sharp pain under my my rib cage, centre, above my belly button and was throwing up every time I stood up or walked. Dr came and out and gave me some tablets to help with acid, I just let them melt in my mouth. Took 1 and the next day the pain had dulled alot.

Went to the drs again this week as was still in a little pain, mainly on the right side, just a dull ache, said it was probably Gastritis after checking my stomach area out for quite a while, pressing down and all that said she couldnt feel anything unusual. Said to keep on the tablet, but go down to 1 a day instead of 1 twice a day. and eat bland foods and I should be alright in  a few weeks.

Can Gastritis be cured?

I am only drinking water and eating bland foods like Pasta, spaghettio and rice. Plus eating wholemeal bread now.

5 likes, 344 replies

344 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Gastrits can be cured if you eat a bland diet, reduce stress and protect your stomach with PPIs.  However, your stomach will always remain sensitive and bouts can come back. It may be worth to have an h pylori stool test because this bacteria can trigger gastritis. However, before testing for h pylori, you need to be off PPIs for the test to be accurate.
    • Posted

Yes I endorse the helicobacter test no as you say you need to be off PPI for a fortnight beforehand but doc should instruct you about this. 
    • Posted

Will i be able to have chinese, chippy supper and full english again? ( i know  not now)
    • Posted

To be honest, I would stay off these kinds of foods for good to keep your stomach happy.
    • Posted

Dont mean every day i nean once in a while as a treat. On Wednesday i had a morrisons big breakfast and was fine after
    • Posted

The best way to find out is to try the food to see if you get any reactions.  If you don't have any problems, then your stomach is not irritated by it.  If you do get symptoms, avoid that food. Everyone has their own trigger foods. What upsets your stomach may be fine for someone else. The dietary guidelines for gastritis are very general and don't always fit everyone's experience. For example, they say ginger is good for digestion but for me it gives me heartburn.

• Posted

HOW would you describe your pain when you get it? And where?

I would just describe mine as a dull ache.

Alot of what people say are triggers i have tried and nothing or very little. 

• Posted

I have IBS which is a bowel complaint and not the same as gastritis. I get aches all over my stomach: stabbing, dull, sore to touch and deep grinding with either constipation or diarrhoea.

Try a food diary to find your triggers.  A lot of what you read is general advice on diet; it really depends on the individual.

• Posted

I have had ibs before. Was caused by apples and other fruits. So pretty much cut them out and only have them now an again.

The other thing is that i dont get is, what set it off? Was it down to stress and worry? Was it down to eating too much cheese in one day? Was it i had a stomach infection and then that caused it? Or a combination of them all?

• Posted

Stress and anxiety can set IBS and gastritis off. You can get food reactions with both these conditions as well. H pylori can also cause gastritis so it would be worthwhile having a stool test to see if you have H pylori.  This may have been the stomach infection you originally had. This can be treated with antibiotics. Before having this test, you need to be off PPIs for two weeks to make sure the test is accurate.

• Posted

Oh right, 

I know when i did have ibs i would have say a full english and i could feel the pain after and my stomach would feel very bubbly after. With this I haven’t had anything like that.

• Posted

Maybe you are sensitive to different foods.
    • Posted

From what I have said and how sudden it came on. Do you reckon I could heal my stomach? And then eat “tasty” foods again.

I read that fizzy drinks are bad for gastritis, same with orange juice and I drank them and was fine.

What does gastritis feel like? As other than the first day before my tablet. I have only had a dull ache

• Posted

The dietary advice you read about gastritis is very general. Everyone's food triggers are different.  What affects one person will not necessarily affect another. Try different foods to see if you react to them and then you will know what to avoid and what to include in your diet.  A food diary will help.

People with gastritis mention sharp pains and burning.  I have never had gastritis; my pain is IBS.  If you have had IBS, it is possible you have had an IBS flare up as well. IBS can cause stabbing, sharp, dull pain.  IBS is chronic condition and can go into remission for a while and then come back. Sometimes it completely goes away.  Gastritis and IBS are linked to anxiety.  My IBS fiares up with stress.

• Posted

You can heal your gastritis if you avoid the foods that irritate your stomach and get help for your bouts of anxiety.  Your stomach will remain sensitive so you will need to be careful with what you eat.  

IBS tends to be felt in the lower abdominal region.

• Posted

Today has deffo been worse, a dull ache on the right side, just under my ribs. Yesterday i knelt down and something made a sound in that area, but didnt think anything of it. So that could be why. 

Other than the first day (Wednesday) I haven’t had that sharp pain.

I have made an appointment with my doctor for a week on Wednesday. So that will be 3 weeks since I started with it. (I think) booked the appointment now, just incase i cant get an appointment when i get back from my holiday. 

• Posted

Pippa What exactly does IBS feel like? Because Ive been having this feeling of tenderness, soreness, bloating and minor burning in stomach. The stomach feels like its dry inside... It even feels hot to the touch and bloated. I know i have gastritis but this feeling is different than before.

Sometimes the stomach triggers my bowel like i have the urge to use it, sometimes i do sometimes i dont. My back is bothersome also, the lower back hurts and burning sensation. The upper and mid back has this weird feeling like a movement under the skin. Years ago i used to have fibromyalgia, these symptons really remind me of it since ive been going through perimenopause.

The thing about it , it comes around same time daily.

• Posted

HI 

WHEn i had ibs, it was mainly below my belly button and a sharp pain and bubbling 

• Posted

I get stomach pain that moves about and it can be deep seated, dull, sharp or stabbing or sore to touch. I get bowel habit changes along with on off nausea and sometimes back pain.  I also have acid reflux which I already  had before IBS. Stress always sets it off.  Some people get bloating and food intolerance.  Luckily I have no IBS related food triggers or bloating but  I do get a lot of loud bowel gas.

People with Fibromyalagia often have IBS as well.  Perimenopause can also cause stomach problems.  IBS itself can make hormonal changes worse and hormones can make IBS worse.  Anxiety plays a huge role in IBS.  

The confusing thing is that everyone is different and responds to medication differently too.

• Posted

Gastritis can come and go. Definitely try a food diary to identify trigger foods.
    • Posted

Its funny because i am waiting for something like the sharp pain or something but nothing has happened. Other than a constant dull ache.
    • Posted

Don't worry about the type of gsstritis pain you have.  Simply adjust your diet and try to relax.   Once I stopped worrying about the types of pain I was getting, my pain greatly improved. Try to take your mind off your pain with your hobbies and light exercise such as walking. 

• Posted

I know i am questioning why the dull ache wont go away?

I think I would feel better if the ache did go away or something.

I feel hungry more as well, 

When i go back to the drs she’ll probably advice me more and probably send for some tests. 

Could it be that the pain just underneath my right rib cage could be something pulled or strained

• Posted

I would trust your doctor and accept your diagnosis of gastritis.  I would have thought that any pulled muscles from vomiting would have gone away by now.  

Eat bland foods, keep a food diary to identify food triggers, avoid foods that upset your stomach and crucially stop worrying.  Anxiety will make your pain much worse.

Remember to exclude rich, fatty and spicy foods.  Once you do these things, you will start to feel better and you will feel happier. Forget about your pain.   This is your best course of action.  Your doctor will tell you the same thing about managing gastritis. Try to think positive thoughts and distract yourself with light exercise and your hobbies to stop your anxiety from mounting.  These things will help you. 

• Posted

I have been eating bland foods  since last Thursday. 

Just thought I could’ve pulled something as the pain is really close to my ribs, from stretching or something like that

• Posted

You will have to eat bland foods for a lot longer.  Gastritis takes time to heal; stick to a bland diet for several weeks.  If you have been given PPIs to take, keep taking the medication to reduce acid in your stomach.  Gastritis pain can be felt under your ribs.  If you are still having pain, your gastritis may not have healed.  Anxiety will fuel your pain and if you eat anything that irritates your gastritis, this will also cause pain.

Your doctor diagnosed your pain as gastritis; you will need to trust what she told you.   The key to healing your gastritis is a bland diet and managing your anxiety.  This is standard advice for treating gastritis, Even after your gastritis has healed, your stomach will remain sensitive.

• Posted

When i get back home I’ll be able to relax more knowing i have my family and doctors not far
    • Posted

Just be patient with your gastritis diet and you will get better with time.
    • Posted

Other than this right side pain. I have been fine. The downside is eating bland. I dont drink much alcohol, i dont smoke and dont do drugs. I enjoy my food? especially breakfast, and going to the seaside and smelling the chippys is tempting 

Is

Ice cream

Pizza

Ok to eat?

I haven’t had any but seeing the variations of ice cream on offer that was tempting 

• Posted

I have Gastritis/HH/LPR - I once had a strained muscle for nearly 8 weeks.

I got rid of my gastritis 6 years ago when first diagnosed by bland diet.  Fine for years and years.  It all came back last year - but my fault - things that have really helped me (refused PPI's) Ranitidine am and pm (from doc) Mastic Gum and Pepsin am and pm.  I tried others like Slippery Elm, Tumeric DGL  but all hurt.  Even Manuka Honey hurts - got to go with what you can take.  I would stay have a go at Pepsin and Mastic - if you have not - google it - it never ever hurts me - slip elm killed me.

• Posted

Eating and drinking everything bad - lasted years then but me on the bum.
    • Posted

But you was able to get better. Was you eating and drinking the wrong stuff pretty much every day?

I dont drink much and from this will probably give up cola (even though i tried it and nothing) but i like to have a chippy tea or dhinese once in a while. And a full English, mostly grilled bar an egg. But when i had a morrisons big breakfast last Wednesday nothing

• Posted

Yes I got totally better - I am not a fried person or take away or pre-packed - I do eat well- veg n fruit smoothies.  My downfall is red wine - so my own fault.  But lasted a long time doing it  It is strange, I did a food diary which was no good at all - coz what would hurt one night just did not when I tried it again.  Chilli and baked potato sits really well lol.

It is just listening to your body and going with it.

• Posted

I would avoid pizza because it is processed. Ice cream is milk based and milk is good for your stomach so long as you are not intolerant to milk.  You could try a small amount of plain vanilla flavour to see if it agrees with your stomach.  However, ice cream should be eaten sparingly because it is fattening. With gastritis everything is trial and error. Simply try the food and if it disagrees with you, avoid it. If you have no reactions, include the food.
    • Posted

what did your pain feel like? As other than the first day, before taking my tablet, I haven’t had much pain other than a constant dull pain on the right hand side. I have ate pretty much normal stuff for a week until my doctor said to go on a bland diet. Including a morrisons big breakfast, burger and drank lucozade and cola.
    • Posted

Other than maybe bread i dont eat the same stuff every day.

I haven’t had ice cream since maybe july. 

I did have a slice of pizza on Friday and no sharp pAin

• Posted

My stomach feels quite bubbly,

Does this mean i have found something that irritates my stomach?

Would it be from the last meal i ate? Even though it is 11 hours later?

Plus on Tuesday I didn’t go to the toilet for a number two. Didnt need to go

• Posted

I hate this as i am questioning myself about everything. 

• Posted

My gastritis pain was on the left upper quadrant - not so much a pain but a pinching feeling like a clamp is attached there - that was 6 years ago and I loads of nausea which stopped me eating and I lost weight.  This time round I have HH/GERD/LPR with intermittent cramping and pain across the middle.  Sore esophagus and throat if the acid rises up too far.  The left side pinching has returned that is why Ii think my stomach if inflamed - gastritis.

Something will help you - it is a weird one to deal with but can be done.

• Posted

Hi

Last night i woke up with bubbling in my stomach, and a little discomfort. What could that be from? As it was around 11 hours since i had anything to eat 

• Posted

Hi wolverine ur symptoms are similar to mine I'm officially diagnosed with gastritis through endoscopybladt month and yes I had a lot burping even without eating pain on my left side under my breast in my breast may be behind breast bone in mexleft side ribcage which radiates to my left side upper and middle back in shoulder blades and that area mine all started last year after been diagnosed with graves disease never had this issue before my GP was keeping sending me for physio which did nt work at all then one of a very knowledgeable member on thyroid forum told me to ask GP for endoscopy and that's it the consultant told me that I got gastritis meaning my stomach lining has inflamed. I'm.on PPI (omeprazole) one a day which is helping ....thanks samy

• Posted

Im guessing my doctor will send me for some tests when i see her again next week. 

I have found something that made my stomach bubbly and that is

Either. Peppers or a white sauce

I brought a tuna sandwich filler, as im on holiday and didn’t realise it had peppers in it.

White sauce, i did have it last week but my mum made it and i may have added too much milk. I am not lactose intolerant.

• Posted

I saw you recently found out that peppers and white sauce make your stomach bubbly.  This is progress because you are finding out your trigger foods. Simply avoid peppers and white sauce and anything else that causes a reaction.  Don't question your symptoms; just stick to a bland diet and watch out for food related reactions.  You already have a diagnosis, accept it and trust your doctor.  Simply work on your diet and your gastriris will get better. 

• Posted

Its either peppers in a tuna sandwich filler or white sauce. 

But i had white sauce last week and was fine.

This is just annoying as i dont drink or smoke but i enjoy my food and i cant even do that

• Posted

I think it is them. I had my tablet and went to the toilet and havr been fine. Wasnt that bad. I have had the bubbling before, I either go to the toilet or have an anti acid tablet and im fine then
    • Posted

Still eating bland foods. Tomorrow i am having spaghetti. 

Today i had rice with veg and potatoes. Plus for a sauce i ended jusy opening a tin of soup  othrtwise it wouldve been dry.

• Posted

If the bubbly sensation started after eating a certain food, it is likely to be a reaction especially since you have had this feeling in the past after a specific food.

To check this, avoid that food to see if the sensation goes away and then reintroduce it. If the reaction comes back, then you will know that particular food irritates your stomach and is best avoided.  Food reactions can set in at any time.and can depend on your system and the type of food. I can't digest salami because it is too fatty. I don't get an immediate reaction; it takes many hours before I start feeling the fat lying in my stomach, heartburn, sickness and sometimes vomiting.  The irritation often starts through the early hours of the morning.

• Posted

Yes, was fine. I didn’t eat it all though
    • Posted

I get that with apples. Can have the sauce and pie etc but cant eat an whole apple.

When I first started with ibs dr (not the one I have now) said to have more fruits and veg, so i started having an apple a day. Was only when I thought “stuff this” that i started to get better and didnt eat the apples

• Posted

IBS advice can be conflicting because everyone is different. Some people with IBS find that certain fruits aggravate their symptoms,  particularly citrus fruits and those thar contain stones or pips. Some find that removing the skin helps.  Soluable fibre is sometimes better for IBS patients than insoluable fibre.
    • Posted

I generally keep away from apples now. As i know that can irritate me. Funny though peaches dont, but i dont have them very often.

Had some toast for breakfast and for dinner had a yogurt and a bacon sandwich as I didn’t want nothing in my sandwiches again. Was grilled bacon

• Posted

Were you ok after the bacon?  Strangely enough I need all kinds of fruit to ease my constipation when it comes on. Everyone is so different.  Probably your IBS and gastritis are acting up at the same time especially when you get anxious.
    • Posted

Yeah, no probs at all. 

I think that has definitely affected me. Now that my holiday is nearly over i seem to be relaxing more.

For tea tonight it’s spaghetti 

• Posted

I couldve had spag bol tonight but been told to keep off tomato in general and didnt want to risk any upset for last day of holiday.

I have had tomato last week and nothing 

• Posted

Hopefully it doesn’t, will try it when im back home. Im not that fond of tomato anyone but like spaghetti bolognese and things like that. 
    • Posted

Today I have felt alot calmer and haven’t been in much pain at all
    • Posted

Hi

I have been invited out for a pizza tomorrow, should I go? I havr got a tablet for Monday if I feel bad

• Posted

You could still go out for pizza if you like if you haven't had trouble with pizza before.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. I will probably go, I have got 1 more tablet, and will be seeing the dr on wednesday. 

I havent ever had any trouble with pizza before. 

• Posted

In that case, just try it and see what happens.
    • Posted

I have had things I havent had since being diagnosed with Gastritis and the only thing that made my stomach bubbly was peppers, but after using the toilet I was fine. 
    • Posted

If you avoid peppers on your pizza, you should be ok.
    • Posted

I do do anyway, Im not a fan of peppers, only had it because it was in a sandwich filler.

Ill just have a normal meat feast stuffed crust.

I never eat it all anyway, normally I eat about half and then wait and then eat some more, but what Ill probably do is when I am full I wont go back and try and eat more, this is what I normally do. 

• Posted

Eating little but often helps with gastriris.
    • Posted

Didnt end up having pizza going tomorrow for it, so goong to keep my tablet till Tuesday.

I eat breakfast, dinner and tea. So about 9, 1 and 5. Be toast or cerel depending what i feel like bar the weekend when i have bacon and egg.

Dinner, a sandwich, will be having tuna or something.

Tea, various depending on day, its normally

Monday, fish or something like that, peas or beans, salad and oven chips. Tues and thurs veg and something, friday salad and chicken. Sat roughly the same as mon, Sunday roast. 

Today had beef, mushroom gravy, stuffing, peas, sweetcorn, carrots, roast potatoes, potatoesand broccoli. 

For breakfast had a “new” item, black pudding (oven cooked) was nice.

I have made some differences to my diet, as i would normally fry like bacon and the black pudding, and have a fried egg. Now either doing them in oven or grill them. And having poached egg.

• Posted

Hi

I had the pizza no pain or aches or problems just feeling full. I have finished with my tablets now.

Been to the drs today, told her that i have got some discomfort when lyong on my right side or stretching. She thinks that it is more muscular than anything as from being sick probably pulled the area and then going about doing stuff and generally stretching etc it probably hasnt fully healed. She checked my stomach area and my side/ back and again couldn’t feel anything abnormal. She recommended that I wait a little longer and if no improvements go back and see her for a blood test. They were the two options, i said id wait a little longer as things have improved from a dull constant ache to discomfort every now and then. I asked what  could have caused the inflammation and said it is highly likely to do with the stomach virus i had. 

I am now eating 3 times a day and drink at leadt 4 glasses if water a day as well.

• Posted

Glad to hear the pizza caused no problems.
    • Posted

Still not having curries or fried stuff yet. What would you say about alcohol? Only ask as its my cousins wedding soon
    • Posted

Some people find alcohol triggers their gastritis and so general guidlines suggest it should be avoided. However, food and drink triggers are different for everyone with stomach disorders. Some have no trouble woth alcohol.  It is really up to you. You could try a small amount of alcohol to see what happens. 

• Posted

Hi

I am doing ok, however, on Monday after I ate, I had discomfort in my stomach, I cant really describe it. As it doesnt hurt and its not an ache just discomfort. Feels cold, if that makes sense. I had it all Monday after eating and most of Tuesday, I woke up today with it gone, but came back after I ate.

I have ate nothing new. 

• Posted

Started monday around midday 

Sunday tea time i had a salad, monday morning toast. monday dinner egg sandwich. The disconnect came before the sandwich though. 

I know one day, think on Monday morning i woke up with abit of a headache, i had a paracetamol and i couldnt swollow it, so I heaved and may upset my stomach again that way

• Posted

I had the same discomfort last week as well but got better before the weekend, same thing this week. I tried having the anyi acids tablets but makes no difference at all. Im probably going to go and see my dr next week
    • Posted

Maybe ask for omeprazole again which gives longer lasting relief than over the counter remedies.
    • Posted

Dr will probably send me for a blood test, got to make an appointment but it’s currently not workingrolleyes
    • Posted

Ask for a different PPI; there are other types which may work better.
    • Posted

Ive managed to get an appointment for next Thursday. Cant get in on the Wednesday, unless someone cancels. Good thing is it’s in the morning so if i need to have blood tests i can walk straight up and get them done.

The discomfort feels just below the rib cage in the centre. I am not currently prescribed anything. I am taking antiacids that dont do anything and today i have used pepto bismal. Not sure if that is doing anything. 

I could have just pulled the area again when i heaved on monday as it came on after that and the area may not have fully healed. Plus, from about wed last week i was fine until the monday.

I haven’t eaten anything different either. Salads, stew, pasta and spag bol. 

Ill keep checking to see if i can get an earlier appointment but i know ive got one, at least.

• Posted

Ive managed to get an appointment for next Thursday. Cant get in on the Wednesday, unless someone cancels. Good thing is it’s in the morning so if i need to have blood tests i can walk straight up and get them done.

The discomfort feels just below the rib cage in the centre. I am not currently prescribed anything. I am taking antiacids that dont do anything and today i have used pepto bismal. Not sure if that is doing anything. 

I could have just pulled the area again when i heaved on monday as it came on after that and the area may not have fully healed. Plus, from about wed last week i was fine until the monday.

I haven’t eaten anything different either. Salads, stew, pasta and spag 

Ill keep checking to see if i can get an earlier appointment but i know ive got one, at least.

Ive put some deep heat in the area of discomfort. Think i will go back to a bland diet of rice, spaghetti, chicken and veg.

Putting deep heat on as actually helped a little. Which is more muscular base. At the moment anyway.

Hopefully feel better in the morning 

• Posted

You will get good and bad days with gastritis; the best thing you can do is to go back to a bland diet and stick to it. If you pulled muscles, take painkillers and wait it out. Twists and strains take time to heal. Last Wednesday I tripped and almost fell when I caught my foot on slatted stairs. I still have some residual aches and pains.  

You will be able to get a different PPI or antacid from your doctor since the ones you are currently taking are not working. If you anxious, your symptoms will feel worse. Try distraction techniques again to help you forget about your stomach.

• Posted

I thought i was over the infection to be honest as i had no pain. 

This discomfort doesnt feel like before, it is hard to describe, it feels cold, upper central just below the rib cage. Sometimes it hurts when ive swallowed food or water.

Bland diet again started yesterday, i had tagliatelle and soup for dinner and today had something for breakfast l, cant remember what now. Tuna sandwich for dinner And spag bol for tea.

I am anxious about it again as this pain hasnt dulled or gone a way since Monday, Thursday it only cane after i drank somethjng. I did notice if i sip a drink i get either a little discomfort or none at all but if I gulp it down say take a fw mouth fulla of water i can feel it. 

Im hoping i can get into see my dr earlier next week.

I wouldn’t mind to know what caused the stomach infection to begin with that led to this.

Hopefully get some news next week And  help  put my mind at rest.

I nearly sure ill be sent for a blood test, which im not that bothered about as ive had them before and watch them get the blood. Then its the general waiting after. . . But after seeing the dr it helps, plus if she gives me some tablets to take thatll help as well

• Posted

Gastritis is inflamnation of the stomach lining rather than an infection. It is likely that your anxiety played a part in the gastritis so you should ask your doctor for help such as CBT to manage your stress levels. The more you worry, the worse your gastritis will be.  Diet and stress management are the key to healing gastritis. My IBS is in remission because I try to avoid stressful situations.
    • Posted

I was told it was a stomach infection that probably caused a mild infection of the stomach lining.

As soon as i am doing stuff i dont worry about it, its more when im bored and i feel it that it makes me worried. 

I am keeping away from acidic fruits as that setd my ibs off, only mild but sets it off. When i was told i had ibs i read that fruit would help, so i was eating an apple a day and wasn’t improving, finally i thought stuff it, didnt eat them and was back to normal shortly after.

Is it possible that i was healing up, but when i heaved on monday i pulled everything again?

• Posted

The main problem you have is anxiety. Try hobbies and light exercise daily to distract your mind from your stomach since this helps your pain and anxiety.   Once again ask for CBT. You have noticed that when you concentrate on your pain, it triggers anxiety and then more pain.  Tackling your chronic anxiety is crucial in healing your gastritis.  Trust your doctor, accept your diagnosis of gastritis, eat a bland diet and stop worrying. Forget about your stomach and pulled muscles.  If you pulled a muscle with heaving it will heal.  When I pulled muscles, it was annoying.  However, I  waited the pain out, carried out my daily activities and didn't worry about it and in the end the pain cleared up. We all pull muscles from time to time; this is normal and nothing to worry about.  Stay positive.

• Posted

Terrible nights sleep. I just couldnt nod off at all.

Good thing is i have 2 new video games to play and a new one coming next week.

Today i am going to try and drink between 4-6 glasses of water as I have not really been drinking that much compared with last week.

At the moment I feel quite bloated, so hopefully thatbwill go away when i need the toilet.

I think what i have done is pulled the muscle ms around mybrib cage and thats more of the pain. Maybe anyway.

• Posted

I have noticed i have been having a lot if mucus in my stool recently 
    • Posted

Sounds like your IBS is also flaring up which can also cause bloating. Go very easy on the water because it could increase your bloating.  One glass of water is plenty.
    • Posted

I dont think it is as when I had ibs the pain was lower down and my stools were soft or liquid and they are not.

At the moment, I am feeling a little better

• Posted

didnt go to the toilet yesterday for a number 2.

But managed to go today, was hard, mainly dark brown and had quite a lot of muscus on it.

I have been eating rice and something or spaghetti and something since Wednesday.

• Posted

Hi

I have managed to get in to see my Doctor tomorrow evening. Did start to feel better but after I went to the toilet I started to feel worse again. 

• Posted

Other than the dull ache at the side, I have what feels like tightness just under my ribs in the centre.
    • Posted

Hi

Been to the drs, got to have 2 blood tests taken and put back on the tablets.

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply.  I have been travelling to Italy in the last few days and just catching up on emails now I am in my Italian home.

The mucus on your stools is an IBS symptom and it can be accompanied by soft/mushy stools or constipation.  You may also still be having gastritis symptoms.  Maybe try a food diary to see if any food is triggering pain.

• Posted

Had a blood test on Tuesday, havent heard anything yet. Got put back on the tablets i had before, this time the lowest dosage.

Had no problems since

• Posted

Hi gwen45436,

I don’t have a very good understanding of nexium/somac vs randitadine. Would you be able to explain the difference please? I tried nexium, which made no difference and now on somac. I also have ranitidine in the the cupboard and wondering whether that might help me more. I have reflux and gastritis and it is diving me crazy!

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi vicki - I have never had Nexium and not heard of Somac - Ranitidine I take rather than PPI's as they do leave you with some acid still whereas PPI's more or less stop it.

I also take Pepzin and Mastic Gum which I find really helpful.  Slippery Elm hurts me as does Tumeric (which is never used to) it is finding what your body will accept.

How long have your been suffering - it is rather life changing isn't it?  Eating out I don't do anymore - never know whether the reflux is going to cause a piece of food to stick.  Last time I eat out in a restaurant, a piece of fish just would not go down and I foolishly tried to wash it down with a mouthful of wine - big mistake, the wine just sat on top of it - I had to go to the loo to bring it up.  I ended up with lipstick all over my mouth - not a good look lol!!

If a person does not suffer, they just don't understand the misery it causes.

Take care - it helps to share.

G.

• Posted

I think lettuce could set my stomach off a little. Ive been fine for a few weeks now, just started past few days, but mainly today that my stomach feels “upset”

When would be the best time of day  to have the tablet?

• Posted

Hi, 

so Since then, I have been ok.

Past few days I have been feeling a slight ache undert the right side central rib cage, so I am guessing I have pulled that area again. 

Eating pretty much normal. Drinks I have had 3 sips of fizzy pop since this, no alcohol. 

Benn drinking a Yakult but dont know if thats helping or not .

• Posted

The pain could also be gastritis.  It might be better to avoid fizzy drinks.
    • Posted

Still got that slight ache in the middle of my right side bottom rib cage, I am pretty sure it is just a pulled muscle more than anything.

At the moment I have got a cold, felt a sharp  sudden pain that went away in less than a second in the middle under the rib cage where the pain originally was in September. So that has made me worry a little bit, however, Im not sure it was just how I was sitting and the water bottle dug into me. Last less than a second, but then got a cold sweat after. I have been eating normally and no problems. 

• Posted

Also just had a sip of soup and no pain.

I know I am slightly worrying that the pain will come back and I wont be able to enjoy Christmas. I have had a slight worry about not being well on Christmas day for quite some time. Think it has been down to in 2010 I had a headache all day due to not sleeping very well, then 2011 getting a headache throughout the day, then the year after having an upset stomach. so  just had a slight worry because of that. 

Iits not because of me being ill its because my grand parents put a lot of effort and dont want to let them down by not eating as much. 

Plus having a cold doesnt help at the moment, went to bed last night early, trying to get to sleep, started nodding off after an hour and a half of trying and then my brother went to bed and woke me up again. 

• Posted

Try not to concentrate on your pain because worrying about it will make it worse.  If you forget about it, your pain is less likely to come back.  My IBS is in remission because I have stopped worrying about it. If I have a flare up, I take medication immediately and my symptoms go away.   The same is true of gastritis. Simply avoid any food triggers and eat in moderation. Don’t worry about disappointing others.  Stay positive and tell yourself that will enjoy Christmas.

• Posted

I haven’t found any foods that have triggered me at all. I could have just pulled a muscle in that area due to sneezing and coughing.

I have made an appointment with my dr for next week, just in case, plus it is the only one before Christmas.

Got a water bottle on the area. When i felt the area earlier did feel a little tender.

But what doesn’t help is having a cold as that could be playing a part in it as well. 

Hopefully when i see the dr she will give me some of them tablets. I have been off them since early November and haven’t had any trouble since then until today.  But i have a cold rolleyes

Doesn’t get an worse after eating or drinking. Doesn’t feel like in my stomach just under the rib cage centre and just a dull ache. 

I haven’t been sleeping very well either. Last week i could not get to sleep, one night it was after 2am before i managed to nod off, then awake again at 5. Last night, i could not get to sleep either l, I could not get comfy and when i did my nose started running. 

I had a blood test when i last visited my dr and everything was normal, nothing wrong at all. Which mustve been over 8 weeks ago as i waited 2 weeks before i got the results and then put it up on here about a month ago.

Hopefully feel better tomorrow 

• Posted

Sounds like a gastritis flare up.  Pain under the rib cage is a gastritis symptom. Gastritis can come and go.  I think it is more likely that. If it was just a pulled muscle, omeprazole would not help. A PPI only helps stomach conditions.  Since you also have IBS, you could also be having an IBS flare up too.  I would try to forget about your stomach and try to relax and your pain will go away.
    • Posted

I havent had an ibs flare up for some time, maybe well over a year. And that i can deal with, with just 1 over the countet anti acids and its fine after.

As i have been watching tv, I haven’t felt any pain. No additional pain from eating or drinking. Probably a slight flare up from having a cold. 

Like i said ive been fine for a while now. Pretty sure that the pain on the right side under my rib was just a pulled muscle as i do tend to stretch and feel it in that area, plus it hasnt been that bad as well.

Could having a cold made the flare up from the mucus 

• Posted

Infections can put extra stress on the body on top any other conditions you have.  IBS can come back randomly even after long periods of remission especially if you are prone to anxiety.
    • Posted

Hi,

Had a better nights sleep last night, tried to go to sleep early again but was too hot so just watched a movie and went to sleep after that.

Didnt wake up with the pain. Had no pain until I moved a certain way and then felt it. 

• Posted

Sometimes with gastritis and IBS, it can be sore to touch or to lie on.  Both these conditions are chronic and will flare up from time to time. For it to be a pulled muscle, you would have to be stretching very vigourously to cause pain. Simple stretching should not cause these problems. 

I still think the cause of your pain is either gastritis or IBS or both triggered by anxiety.  You mentioned your anxiety over eating Christmas dinner because you were worried about disappointing relatives if you couldn’t eat.  This worrying will cause your stomach to flare up.  When I have a build up of anxiety, my IBS flares up immediately.

Once again, try distraction techniques to take your mind of your pain and worries. Anxiety is the root of your problem. Try to think positively. 

• Posted

I have been feeling a little nervous for a while now. Nothing major, just every now and then.

How was you diagnosed?  Other than a blood test I haven’t had anything test wise any way

• Posted

If you have been nervous, this could explain your flare ups.  Since your doctor diagnosed gastritis, I would accept this and concentrate on controlling your anxieties.  This is your problem. Your blood test showed nothing which is good news for you.

I had stool tests, urine test, celiac test and an ultrasound and nothing showed up.  So I was diagnosed with IBS.  WIth IBS, norhing will show on any scans.  The best thing you can do is to relax since you already have a disgnosis of IBS and gastritis. Calmness will help your pain.

• Posted

Guess having a cold has made it worse, plus with a cough keep "pulling" at the muscles around that area as well. 

I have been slighted worried for over a month really, when I am not doing anything, as I have been worrying about money, and then the closer to Christmas been thinking, "hope I dont get that pain again so I can eat what I want"

I have been lucky really as I can pretty much eat what I want without any pain of any sort. I have kept away from spicy things, I tend not to eat a lot of spicy foods anyway, I have had spicy chicken with no problems at all. Only had 1 bit of slight discomfort which went away after an hour and that was  having a big gulp of cola,  But I have had sips of pop since then with nothing. Only had he cola because I had gone to see The Killers and my throat was dry. I bet I havent had a whisky glass full of pop in total since September. Just been drinking tea, water and milk and on a friday i have been having dilute lemon & barley. 

I thought Gastritis affects your stomach more, my pain in is central below my rib cage. 

• Posted

Hopefully will have a better nights sleep tonight. The general area just under my rib cage is tender to touch. I have put deep heat on the area just to see if that helps in anyway. Antiacids have had Zero effect. Do you thibk gaviscon could help? I would get the double action one as it doesnt feel like a burning sensation just a dull ache and doesn’t feel in my stomach. I had no trouble eating or drinking, it didnt hurt more or less. 
    • Posted

Sometimes indigestion can cause pain round the ribcage.  Gaviscon and painkillers do help.  Milk is also good for this.  Some people with Gastritis get pain in this area.
    • Posted

I might try gaviscon double action. Worst thing, it doesn’t do anything to help best thing it helps.

I reckon having a cold has brought this on, just weird how and when it came on again, just sat down on the computer and felt it, didn’t know if it was the pain or water bottle digging in me, cold sweat , and its back. 

Othet than the dull pain, nothing else is wrong, going to the toilet fine, eating fine, feeling hungry, stools normal etc

• Posted

If gaviscon helps the pain, then it is probably indigestion as well which is also linked to IBS and gastritis.
    • Posted

It’s weird because you question yourself and try and match the pain to different things. But not going ti think about the pain. 
    • Posted

I had a lovely Christmas meal tonight and I will have a few more amusements during the week. I have done some Christmas shopping too.  I’m definitely in Christmas mode.
    • Posted

I normally like Christmas time, past few years, I haven't been as bothered. I think it is down to growing up, as now my brother is older and getting things similar to me, like music, dvds etc so the "magic" around gift giving isnt really there anymore, like to see his face light up due to a present.

Plus the entertainment over Christmas isnt looking that great, tv wise, I am probably only going ot try and watch one program which is on about a week before Christmas. The movies that are on, the ones I would actually watch are the ones I own on DVD and blu ray. 

But I do like spending time with my family, even thought when it is all over, Christmas day and boxing day, I am glad it is all over. 

Im trying not to think of Christmas Day at the moment, as it makes me worried about the food, due to this pain, even though I have been eating normally.

I did nipo to the chemist to get some Gaviscon Double action Liquid, I havent had any yet, but only just had tea and want to wait 30 mins after.

I havent had much pain today, until I had a cup of tea and felt it after. Hopefully the gaviscon will help. 

I havent been wanting to eat, but that is down to my cold, which is going. got over 1 week before I see the doctor, but glad I have managed to get an appointment, even if it is late evening. The next appoint is on the 28th. I keep looking on the website to see if an earlier one becomes available.  

A good thing is I checked my weight today, and I have not lost any weight, and going to the toilet is normal, and dont feel sick after food. Plus the blood test came back normal.  Which is all good. 

• Posted

Try telling yourself that don’t need to eat anything you are not comfortable with on Christmas Day.  Eat what you want to eat and don’t feel you have to eat something because it is expected of you or out of fear of disappointing anyone.  You have to look after your stomach.  These are good reasons not to worry about food. Aim to enjoy your food. Worry will guarantee that your pain will flare up.
    • Posted

Just got back from Star Wars ( Was a big let down) Just waiting for pizza to arrive. Touching wood, today hasnt been that bad, I have been having Gaviscon and does appear to be helping a little bit. I havent had the full 20ml yet, yesterday I had 10ml after tea, and then 10-15ml (I split some putting on the spoon) before bed. After I had something to eat I had 5ml and 5ml before I saw Star Wars. Will have some more after pizza or bedtime. 

I am hungry now, but dont fully feel like wanting to eat, but that is down to my cold, which is getting better day by day

BUT 

I have managed to get another Doctors appointment, instead of Thursday 22nd it is Monday 18th, which I am pleased about.

• Posted

I am going to see Star Wars too! Good luck with the doctor.
    • Posted

THANK YOU

I will keep you updated. 

Today has been about the same as yesterday. Got the pain still. 

• Posted

It may be something you are eating or stress that is causing the pain. Gastritis can be triggered by stress and anxiety or food.
    • Posted

The pain seems to get worse after eating the evening meal and then eases off after. 

I probably won’t have any Gaviscon today, due to going to the doctors tomorrow. 

• Posted

Sounds like a food trigger if you are getting problems after eating. Try a food diary to identify the culprit.  Gastritis can be chronic. Stick to bland foods and avoid anything spicy, rich or fatty as your doctor previously advised you.  
    • Posted

I have had all the foods before and nothing that appears to be a trigger. 

Just appears slightly more of an ache but i could just be thinking about the pain. 

Doctor will probably check my stomach area again by pressing down on it, and having a chat about it. And then talk about what to do. Because its Christmas week, And then new year coming, i dont know if i need to go to the hospital for a scan or camera down my throat it will be this year, so may have tablets to help out over the Christmas. 

• Posted

Pain that comes on after eating still sounds like a problem food. That is why a food diary would still help to identify it. Your IBS could be also causing you problems as well as the gastritis.  Your anxiety is also a very likely trigger as well. 
    • Posted

I think my anxiety is a trigger. Deffo think my cold did not help either and set it off
    • Posted

Infections can put extra stress on the body on top the conditions that you already have.  So your body will have more to cope with and this may have caused the IBS and gastritis to flare up. Gastritis and IBS are long term intestinal disorders and can reoccur from time to time.  The best thing you can do is to learn to manage both you conditions with diet and stress management techniques.  I have the cold too but my stomach is fine and I have no anxiety at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi

Just got back from Doctors. Told her everything and said she thinks it is acid reflux, due to the location and that is why I am getting the soreness, plus the reason the Gaviscon it working a little bit. Said dont think it is anything more severe as the blood test came back clear on everything, with no signs of infection or inflammation.

Gave me the same tablets I was on last time, but this time, I believe they are a stronger dosage and I should only take one a day when and needed, as your body can start depending on them.

he said there is also one more test she would like to do before having the camera down my throat, and that is a stool test to check for a bacteria in the stomach. I need to do that before having the tablets. If there is anything she will phone me up and go from there. 

• Posted

Could be h pylori she wants to test for which can cause gastritis.  If you have h pylori, it can be treated with antibiotics.
    • Posted

Yeah, she said the medical term what it could be and said, if it is, Shed phone me up and arrange the tablets and antibiotics to get rid of it. 

So dropped that off today, meant to get picked up tomorrow, so tested wed or thursday. wont be till next week then I hear anything most likely. In the mean time I have the tablets, which are different from the others as the others I took after food, these ones I take before food. 

• Posted

Were you off your tablets before you handed in your samples? You need to be off antacid medications such Gaviscon and PPIs for two weeks to make sure your test is accurate.
    • Posted

Hi,

yes. The Doctor did say not to take the tablet until I have done the stool test and asked about other medications, and said about the gaviscon, but that wouldnt matter. 

So I have not taken any medication today, as I thought by the time I did the test it was mid afternoon. Will start tomorrow with them. Can start to relax a little bit. Got a few things planned in the evening this week, going to watch the extended version of the hobbit and the lord of the rings, 1 a day. Plus going to watch the League of Gentlemen tonight at 10 as well.

Did you go and see Star Wars?

• Posted

I haven’t seen Star Wars yet.  My friends haven’t organised the outing thus far.  I watched the extended Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films on Apple TV.  They still hold me spellbound.

Good luck with the tests.

• Posted

I watch the hobbit on blu ray and lotd of the rings on video. I never upgraded because you have to swap disks half of way through, it spoils it. Hopefully Amazon dont remake either of them but do a story in the same world.
    • Posted

I think these films were the best that have ever been made; I have never seen anything since to surpass them.

Anyway, I hope you feel well for Christmas and enjoy it.

• Posted

Hi there Gwen I was diagnosed with mild active gastritis in November 2017. It was brought on by years of anti-inflammatory use, probably too much alcohol, and spicy foods. It came to a peek and landed me in hospital after a very stressful few months. So here I am now eight weeks after I was in the hospital and I feel no better. I am on a PPI called tactor which I think is making the gastritis a little better, but the nausea, abdominal pain and back pain are horrific. How do you manage your gastritis? I really need some positive reinforcement that one day this will all be over and behind me and I will be healthy again…
    • Posted

Hi Julia - I had mild chronic gastritis 5 years ago - nausea was constant and lost weight through it coz could not eat.  I had PPI for a month but it did not help.  I went the natural route with:  Tumeric caps, manuka honey, silicol gell (coats the tum and pushes out toxins) I toned down my diet by no spices, no citrus nor tomatoes, eat mainly chicken,fish,loads of prawns, oatmeal and mashed banana for breakfast.  If you can take it Apple Cider Vinegar, in glass of warm water.  Lemon is supposed to help digestion but it hurt me.  I cut down alcohol but not out (red wine still in).  I did get rid of it completely for ages and ages (so take heart it can be done) but I do think once you have it it decides it likes you and want to move in.  But you will find things which give it a boot out of your body.  It is trial and error but can be done.  I was fine until about 18 months ago and started with pain again in left rib side and up my chest which goes into my back and throat.  Sometimes I wake at night with reflux in my mouth which is a bit scary (this is LPR or silent reflux). 

Anyway I went for the camera job second time round and it is a Hiatus Hernia/Esophagitis/LPR/GERD.  Lovely Jubly but it is my own fault.  Because I was so much better for so long I hammered the booze, spices, you name it, curries, the works.  Which now I know is ok in small doses, you can get away with it, but keep doing it and it bring it back.

I now have good days when I think it has gone, no pain at all, and other days it is there.  A food diary did not help me as something that would not hurt then suddenly did!!!!

I have tried all sorts that peeps have suggested like Slippery Elm, DL liquorice and others but they hurt.  You have to try to find out.

This time round I turned down PPI and have 150mg Ranitidine morning and before bed along with Pepzin taken 30 mins apart.  I also take Mastic Gum before bed.  I don't usually have to resort to Gaviscon but I keep it in in case as it acts as a barrier mesh and lines your tum to protect it. 

Today and the last 4 days have been pain free and I had a roast dinner yesterday and wine with no pain at all.  Take heart, you are early days and will definitely find something that suddenly starts working. 

G.

p.s.  I have also started Kefir probitic drink which is active with millions of healthy bacteria and also a good quality probiotic I got off the net, I do seem to be getting better each day with it.

• Posted

Thank you Gwen,

i feel part of the problem at this moment is my body's reaction to the PPI. I think doc put me on it to heal the gastritis (less acid to irritate the lining= healing). But with no acid in there, my gut not emptying as fast and now I just feel "sick, bloated" all day. And the back pain OMG! Almost feel more reflux now than before because my stomach always full. Did you experience this? How long did you need to stay on the PPI and did it do its job do you think? Considering tapering of slowly from today until I see my doc in 5 days.....

• Posted

Yes the back pain is not good.  I have it today for some reason ??!!

I was on PPI for a month and it did nothing for me.  You are probably right in that no acid at all is worse for you, maybe a warm glass of water with tsp ACV may help you if you can take it ok.  Aloe Vera juice is also good for gastritis, again, if  you can take it. 

• Posted

Hi, hope you had a good Christmas.

Feels ages ago. So been feeling a lot better no problems until Saturday, when I had a good stretch in bed and felt something go, under the ribs, and since then had some discomfort in that area. 

• Posted

I had lots of fun at Christmas with friends and family; hope you did too. 

I wouldn’t worry if you pulled a muscle; these things all heal with time.  Just forget about it. Did you get the results of your h pylori test?

• Posted

Didnt hear anything so mustve been negative as they said they would let me know.

Think the pulled muscle is in the same area as it was before and the same pain, just feels tight.

Was good thanks. 

• Posted

If your doctor did not ring back. I would chase this up.  Your doctor would always get back to you whether the result was positive or negative. Only bother about the pain if it continues or gets worse.  Other than that, just relax.  Pulled muscles clear up
    • Posted

I think it is two separate things, the psin is from stretching as I was fine with no problems until I did stretch. When I was ill in Sept I felt something go then in the same area due to throwing up. And at the same time I had acid reflux so thought it was all 1. But with the acid reflux I have only felt a slight pain and it was very slight over Christmas and that was down to having something very rich. And that pAin was central, this pulled muscle pain is in the right
    • Posted

I am sure its a pulled muscle and think that they are 2 separtae things that happened around the same time.

Is there any exercises I can do to strengthen the muscles around my stomach area (mainly on the right side) As this keeps happening.

First started in Sept when I was Sick and that took a while to get better, then stretched and same thing and its been repeat from there. Its when I first wake up, so half a sleep and have a stretch and can feel it go. 

It is a painful muscle to pull. I will keep putting deep heat or the ice one (which ever we have) to try and ease it and make it get better.

• Posted

Speak to your doctor about getting physio for the pulled muscle if it doesn’t improve or gets worse. Other than that, try a heat pad or take painkillers like nurofen. Pulled muscles do heal; it is likely to go away on its own without any intervention. I pulled my shoulder last September and it took six weeks to clear up which is the normal timescale.  I waited it out and it went away.  We can all pull muscles from time, the trick is not to allow it to worry you. Worry will only flare up your gastritis and IBS.

I have neuropathic injuries in both arms and I am trying natural remedies but so far nothing is working. So I am preparing to just learn to live with the pain.

• Posted

Hi

I have been resting. I had a hot bath, inwas falling a sleep so must’ve been relaxed yesterday. Also had a hot water bottle on the area and then before I went to sleep i put deep heat on the area.

I think some of the ache is in my mind asvi am worried about being ill again like i was in September, as the ache is near my stomach, but i keep telling myself its a pulled muscle 

• Posted

I don't think the pain is in your mind if you are physically feeling stomach pain.  Since you have gastritis and IBS, both of these will cause pain if you are anxious.  Both of these conditions are triggered by anxiety.and can go in and out of remission. The slightests stress sets my stomach pain off.   While you may pull muscles from time to time, I think this is a secondary problem.

• Posted

AT the moment, I have just pulled a muscle
    • Posted

Simply try to avoid vigourous stretching and any other movement that has triggered it in the past that you are aware of. Pulled muscles are nothing to worry about; try to forget about it. 
    • Posted

I am avoiding stretching, i have been taking a hot bath, putting on deep heat and hot water bottle. Just to try and heal it 
    • Posted

Heat treatment will help with the pain along with painkillers but you will have to wait it out for the muscle itself to heal.
    • Posted

I think it has helped, not taking any painkillers though. Havent had any since before September. 
    • Posted

Keep using heat then and it should go away.
    • Posted

Its deffo worse in the morning. But that’s probably down to aggrovating it while im a sleep
    • Posted

I often pull muscles on my left side while sleeping.
    • Posted

At the moment i am morr aware of  pain or aches in my stomach area.  And thats just down to i dont want to be ill like i was in September again. 

But i am pretty sure its a pulled muscle as i am on the tablets for acid and am having no probs eating

• Posted

Sounds as if you are stressing too much about last year’s illness.  Try to forget about this because that is now in the past and this is a new year with new beginnings,  Stress will aggravate your stomach.  Try distraction techniques such as your hobbies and light exercise which will take your mind off pulled muscles and stomach pain.

While pulled muscles may be part of the problem, I think anxiety is playing a larger part in your stomach troubles because you say your stomach pain is down to fear of getting ill again. It may be worthwhile asking your doctor about CBT to help your anxiety.

• Posted

I know I am. Im going to go for a walk soon, while its stopped raining. not going far. 
    • Posted

JUST read that a pulled muscle in your stomach area can take anywhere between a few days to 6 weeks to heal depending on how severe it is.
    • Posted

That’s correct; my pulled shoulder took 6 weeks to get better.  Hopefully a walk will help to ease it and take your mind off it.
    • Posted

Hi

Did not get far, got to the top of my street saw the clouds, and walked home. Literally got in and close the door and it started raining heavy

• Posted

The weather changed in Eastbourne too.  It had been bright and warm for most of the day.  I suspect rain will be on the way for us.
    • Posted

TODay has been ok, used the cold spray and that seems to be a little better than the heat one.

Back has started playing up now as well as my stomach area. Just a constant dull ache rolleyes 

Isnt as bad if i lie down flat

• Posted

If you try to relax and forget about your pain,  you may find that it will go away without you realising it.  Stressing about pain can in fact cause pain.  When I am in pain, I take Nurofen  if it is muscular because natural remedies don’t work for me.  I would try painkillers because they tend to kill pain for a longer period of time. 

My neuropathic pain doesn’t respond to anything so I just accept that it is permanent and try to ignore it.  

• Posted

Saturday the ache felt better and has eased since then, think the cold spray may have helped.

Downside is the acid reflux has started again, I believe this is down to eating too much Saturday and sunday or having some pepper on sunday. So starting tomorrow, back on the tablets. This time i know its one of them things. 

Not like before which was out of nowhere.

• Posted

Remember, muscle strains can take up to eight weeks to heal so you will have to be very, very patient indeed and continue to use analgesics and painkillers and simply wait the pain out. 

When you start back on the heartburn tablets, stay on the medication and do not come off them suddenly. If you are on a PPI and you come off them too quickly you can get acid rebound.  If you want to come off them, you have to do it slowly and then replace them with an over the counter antacid  to keep the heartburn at bay.  Eat little but often and avoid heartburn triggers such as rich, spicy and fatty foods and don’t eat late at night.

Try to relax and enjoy your hobbies and go out with friends.  If you concentrate too much on your pain and heartburn, you can end up making your symptoms worse.  I have chronic neuralgia and heartburn.but I find if I concentate on my hobbies and going to my writing clubs, I can live with these conditions even though they can be very annoying.  My IBS is in remisdion because, I am trying to stay relaxed.

• Posted

Im pretty sure it was down to eating too much. But deffo got the pain back centre. I had started to come off them by taking one a day miss a day but then the muscle strain i didnt want to risk it. But the pain came back anyway 
    • Posted

On top of the muscle strain, you have two chronic stomach conditions: IBS and gastritis which will come and go in response to food or anxiety. If anxiety triggered these conditions, it is likely that you will always have flare ups.  You will have to accept this and learn to manage your stomach problems.  

The best you can do is to try and relax as much as possible, take your heartburn meds, and watch your diet.  This is how to live with it. 

• Posted

I think its not as bad as before as i feel it more after eating and not all the time.

I think it was triggered by eating too much and eating late. Think it irritated my stomach. 

IBS hasnt played up in quite a while now. Could manage that with over the counter antibacids. Would normally only take 1

• Posted

Stick to what your doctor told you and avoid rich, greasy and fatty foods.  Eat little but often and don’t eat too much or too late at night,   If you know what foods trigger pain or heartburn, avoid those foods.  I take regular antacids because heartburn gives me a chronic cough.

Milk is also good for settling your stomach and soothing heartburn.  Concentrate on your diet.

• Posted

I avoid spicy foods often, i dont like them. 

Still taking the meds until it clears up again but still got a little pain in centre. Nothing much and then every so often feels like a stinging pain

• Posted

Gastritis tends to come and go in flare ups.  The best thing to do is watch your diet, relax and take acid reducers. This is all you can do for it; you will have to learn to live with a sensitive stomach. Concentrate on managing your symptoms.  The best I can do for my stomach conditions is to manage them  with medication, diet and relaxation and to realise that my symptoms will flare up from time to time and to accept this.
    • Posted

I think the muscles around being pulled isn’t helping. I think I have found something else that doesn’t agree with me and that is red onion, as i had some over the weekend and yesterday 
    • Posted

Dont have them very often at all, first time since before I first started.

Deffo gets worse after eating. Like an achey pain, thats even with the tablet.

Not sure if I should go back to the doctors. Just for check up or reassurance.  

• Posted

Pain after eating sounds like a food intolerance.  Try a food/symptom diary to identify other food triggers. This is the best thing to do for gastritis.  Your doctor is likely to suggest this too.  A food diary may take some time to identify the problem food.  Eliminating red onions and anything else you know of that irritates your stomach will help you.  It’s good you  have found one trigger.
    • Posted

managed to get in to see my doctor next week. The earliest I could get in to see my regular one. Just looked again and the earliest is mid February now do got lucky with that. Plus its a morning appointment.

Still got a stingy dull ache, worse today than yesterday. Yesterday I had no problems at all other than pulled stomach muscles but that eased by late morning.

I am not sure if the tomato bolognese sauce is an irritant, as I have noticed that I sometimes feel more pain after having that BUT not every time. 

Still taking my tablets. 

• Posted

Sometimes foods irritate you one week but are fine the following week.  Tomato is a common gastritis irritant.  However, you could try bolognese sauce using fresh tomatoes rather than the puréed tube or tinned varieties from the shops.  It may be that you are reacting to the shop variety because they contain preservatives and sometimes colourants. If you find you are still having on off reactions, stay off tomato bolognese sauce completely.

Sometimes PPI medications cause stomach pains so it is possible you are reacting to that . Check the list of side effects on the patient leaflet to see if stomach pain is listed or check online.  Ask your doctor about this.  You may be better off switching to an OTC H2 blocker instead.

• Posted

I will try that, Spag Bol is one of my favourite things to eat.

I am taking the tablets as they  tell you to but the one thing that confuses me is that is says take 30mins before food once  in a morning. Which I found odd. As the ones before said take 30mins after food. 

I can ask about them next week. 

Its like a general tightness just under  the rib cage

• Posted

Definitely ask if the medication could be aggravating your symptoms because if they are, you can be given something else, have the dose reduced or even come off them if your doctor recommends it.  All medications have side effects.

If your medication tells you to take it 30 mins before food, simply follow what it says.  I wouldn't bother about  the previous ones telling you to take them after food. They are probably medications that work differently from each other. One will probably work better before food and the other is probably more effective after food.

In the end, though, managing your diet and keeing calm is the key to controlling your gastritis.  Definitely, avoid processed foods.

• Posted

I have deffo tried to watch what i eat more, been having more yogurts and milk
    • Posted

WEll 1 or 2 actitivia a daY

I have been eating just generally more healthier. More veg than fruit as acidic fruit tends to set off my ibs so I know to stay away from them.

Been having a walk each day as well.

• Posted

I think.you are doing the very best you can for the gastritis.
    • Posted

Probably will get sent for a scan or something this time if the doctor thinks so.
    • Posted

If you are sent for scan and it shows gastritis, the advice you will probably be given will be the same as your doctor told you. Avoid rich, fatty and spicy foods, eat blandly and little but often, and avoid all your trigger foods. Reduce your stress levels and/or take a PPI to reduce acid.  You will have to follow these guidlines strictly to give your stomach the best chance of healing.
    • Posted

I think at the moment because nothing has come back from the blood test and I havent heard anything from the stool test. I still think I am questioning whether it is Gastritis or something else. Even though I know I should just trust the doctor. I think it is from the tablets as at the start, after a few days it eased and got better, now they do not appear to be doing anything.

Either way I have been avoiding rich, spicy and fatty foods. I dont think generally I eat that much of them anyway, deffo not spicy food. I think generally I have a balanced diet, probably more leaning into healthy diet since this time last year.

Its funny because Back when I first started with IBS I was trying to lose weight and exercise back between 2010-2012 ish. I did lose some, and then last year, started losing weight, eating healthier, exercising etc and was doing well, lost over 2 stone over 9 month  and then came down with this. 

I also find it frustrating that I have got this because I like my food, and I can not have some of my favourites anymore rolleyes I hardly drink alcohol before and dont do drugs and dont smoke. Just annoying. 

• Posted

I would definitely trust and believe your doctor if your blood test came back clear. This is good news for you.   So you can relax.

However, since you have heard nothing about your stool test, I would keep phoning your surgery to chase up these results.   They should not be taking this long.  This is the only way of getting reassurance.  My stool test result was late in coming through too.  I was very anxious about it so I kept ringing my surgery until I got answers.  The receptionist tried to fob me off about what she could and couldn’t tell me.  I explained that I was not  expecting her to tell me detailed information and all I wanted to know was if the result was negative or positive.  She then told me that my result was negative.    Persistence works. 

• Posted

I am seeing my doctor next Wednesday so should be told then. I know she said it was the last test she wanted done before anything else just to make sure.
    • Posted

Thank you 

Atm i feel quite bloated, but putting that down to having stew. I am going to eat bland stuff again, i have told my mum this. Couldn’t really hage bland stuff yesterday as she had already done the stew.

• Posted

I am having rice tonight I think. Or spaghetti. 

Just above the bottom of my rib cage, it feels tight and underneath that it aches and then I feel bloated.

Didnt feel that bad earlier

• Posted

What does hearburn feel like?

Every now and then it feels like burning pain, and then eases off a little and then comes back. Also got a horrible taste in my mouth. 

Ended up having rice and chicken. Was plain rice. 

I am starting to get a little worried again by this. Especially now that the tablets dont seem to work. 

It says on the packaging dont take any other similar medicines like gaviscon for a number of hours after having the tablets.

• Posted

Heartburn is a burning, acid sensation in the stomach.  Sometimes, it comes up as liquid acid and gives you a sour taste in your mouth.  It can also come up silently and give you a cough.  If you are taking a PPI and an H2 blocker on the same day, make sure you take them four hours apart to make sure the PPI works properly.
    • Posted

I have got a horrible taste in my mouth. Has made me feel sick as well. Havent been sick just made me feel it.

I am on 

Lansoprazole 15mg gastro-resistant capsules 1 to be taken 30-60mins before food. I take it in the morning, roughly the same time each day. I have not been having any other medication with it. On the box it says something about dont take any other digestion type meds for a period of time, I will ask doctor about that on wed. Im going to keep checking to see if i can get an earlier appointment l. 

• Posted

Would drinking plenty if water help?

Still got the horrible taste in my mouth, better nights sleep though.

• Posted

What you have read about leaving a gap between taking a PPI and H2 blockers such as gaviscon is correct. That is why it is written on the patient leaflet.  Trust and follow that information. You should wait four hours.    

However, do not worry; anxiety will make your heartburn worse.  I have heartburn most of the time and I do not worry.  You may need a different PPI or a stronger dose.

• Posted

I don’t know whether drinking water would help heartburn or not.  I think the most effective treatments for heartburn are milk and antacid medication.
    • Posted

I went to the chemist and asked just to make sure it was ok, they said yes after a few hours. Also asked how long i have been on them and if they are nit working, and said might need a stronger dosage and said about going to see the doctor. 
    • Posted

Simply follow the advice you have been given.
    • Posted

YTHATS what i am goin to do

Just eating bland foods like 

Bread, spaghetti, soup, eggs etc

And just drink milk water and tea.

I have found some foam and have put that under my matteds so it hasnrisen where i lay slightly and started chewing chewing gum to help get rid of the horrible taste.

I am going to take the gaviscon about half an hour after ive had some dinner and before i go to bed. And probably will stick to that until i see the doctor on wednesday morning.

• Posted

I wouldn’t chew gum.  This stimulates the gastric juices and can result in more heartburn and can cause gas.  Maybe try mints to give you a better taste in your mouth.  However, avoid the sugar free variety because artificial sugars are not good for you. 
    • Posted

REally?

I read it was ok to have. I havent got any other mints as I don’t really like mint

• Posted

Food advice is different for everyone.  However, when you chew gum, you produce more saliva and your stomach juices start to work in preparation to digest food.  Your stomach will expect food to be swallowed and enter the stomach. In the case of gum, it is not swallowed, so the stomach may produce gas when no food arrives.  Chewing gum gives me gas.

If you have digestive difficulties, it is better not to eat anything that can upset your digestion with gas.  Try some other sweet to change the taste in your mouth. However, if you take antacids, this will get rid of the acid and so you dhouldn’t get a sour acid taste in your mouth.

• Posted

FRIDAY was deffo worse for the pain and horrid taste. But I had only had my tablet yesterday morning.

Saturday, as been easier than friday, still got a bit of pain. But the horrid taste isnt as bad. Also today I did have my tablet and gaviscon, not at the same time. But still had both. 

To eat i had scrambled egg on toast. Soup. Pasta, then chewed the chewing gum. To drink tea, water and milk. 

Just going to stick to something similar until Wednesday. Luckily its in the morning, so i wont have my tablet, just in case. Also I should order some more on Wednesday but I will wait and see what the doctor says. 

Always try and get an early appointment with doctor just to get it over and done with. 

I hope she checks my stomach area again, just to see if everything is normal.

• Posted

Your doctor will probably examine you since you are having abdominal,trouble.  My doctor examined my stomach to find out the location of my pain which was all over my stomach.  Your doctor is the best person to advise you because your symptoms don't seem to have improved much with medication.and diet. 

• Posted

IT deffo did improve over the Christmas period, from i believe the 20th December till past the 3rd Jan, I was ok, then I pulled my stomach area, and then this gradually got worse over 2 weeks. 

I know it was past as thats my brothers birthday and was on the tablets until then and then started to miss a day take one miss a day etc as the tablets are for as and when required.

• Posted

Stomach conditions do tend to cone and go and sometimes you have to take regular medications to keep it at bay. This is the way it is if your condition is chronic.  I have chronic stomach trouble but medication and not worrying about it help.    All you can do is see what your doctor says.
    • Posted

Today hasnt been that bad. Its deffo worse at night as this morning had some grilled bacon with an egg and toast and had no trouble, had my tablet roughly half an hour before, maybe a bit longer. But this evening had rice, veg and soup mixed together and felt it then.

But going to continue to eat bland foods at least until i see the doctor anyway. And have gaviscon after evening meal and before bed

• Posted

It may be better to have the vegetables and soup as separate meals rather than having them together. For example, have soup in the afternoon and vegetables in the evening. Or have vegetables one day and soup on another day.  Sometimes putting all these foods together, can cause digestive problems.  When having soup, try cooking it from fresh rather than buying shop varieties which can contain preservatives and other ingredients that your are sensitive to.  Freshly made soup is better because you know what you are putting into it.

Try doing a food diary when having vegetables to see if any of them are causing symptoms.  Some vegetables are hard to digest.  It sounds like you haven't got to grips with all your food triggers yet since you are still getting trouble after eating.  Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician who will guide you with an eating plan that will suit the food sensitivities you have.

• Posted

Only had that because it would be dry. Having Spaghetti today.

I know, peppers and red Onions, probably normal onions as well do not sit well with this. And probably acidic fruits like apples, even if that doesn’t set this off it woulds set my ibs off so im not risking it.

I tend to have the same foods each week and nothing other than what I have mentioned as set me off. Bar had a slight pain after christmas pudding but only have that on Christmas and boxing day.

I think what has triggered this off this time is just over eating 2 days straight just down to going out with friends. 

• Posted

The best thing you can do for stomach trouble is watch your diet even when out with friends.  Don’t eat foods that you know trigger your symptoms  Eat little but often and don’t over eat.  You will have to be strict with this.  Sometimes stomach conditions are chronic and can only be managed rather than cured.  However, if you learn to manage it well, it can be lived with.

Watching your diet and stress reduction willl help you to cope well with your symptoms.  I avoid eating anything that will trigger my reflux and I try to avoid stressful situations.  Your doctor will no doubt tell you the same thing.  

• Posted

I am doing again. Just watching what I eat. Good thing is eating bland foods, and only that will help lose some weight. .

I am sure what did set this off was over eating, which I know now not to do again. 

• Posted

HI

I have been to the Doctor, stool test came back fine.

Doctor doesn’t think it is anything sinister because both blood and stool test came back negative.

Doctor gave me two options, carry on with the tablets and see how I go or go for camera down my throat. 

So going to go for a camera down my throat. Just got to wait for the paperwork to come through in the post. 

Have you had that? Whats it like?

• Posted

I had an endoscopy years ago but the sedation didn’t agree with me and triggered depression which took me three weeks to clear. If you suffer from anxiety, a throat spray may be better because sedation can aggravate your anxiety and trigger depression.  I had light sedation and that was enough to cause me trouble.
    • Posted

Doctor said about having a throat spray or sedation, i want to go with the throat spray as the other, you have to stay in hospital a little longer.

I thought i would be alright with it, but I am a little nervous about it. I havent even got an appointment yet.

Is it ok? I have looked on nhs website and say got to be off the tablets a while, if thats the case probably appointment will be around late feb early March. But the information seems to be reassuring. Just be hungry on that day, knowing my luck I will have a late appointment so will go all day without having food.

After the appointment, do you just have light food like scrambled eggs or soup?

From now will be on tablets until i get the appointment then read the details and then go from there.

• Posted

I got home within a very short time after the procedure (within a few hours in fact) and I ate completely normally as soon as I got home with no food restrictions.  But within hours of getting home, the depression started.  I  have bad reactions to any type of anaesthesia.

I only had the procedure because I thought was going to get a throat spray but I was told I was getting sedation only when I was been taken into the examination room.   I was told it would be light sedation so I thought I might not react.  How wrong I was! I was not warned about the risk of bad reactions and when I reported them, I was fobbed off.

Make sure you ask about all the risks, mild or severe.  Do not assume they will tell you everything you need to know.  They will only tell you the postive things and play down the negatives.

You may even be better not having the procedure at all and just stick to taking your tablets.   If nothing shows on your endoscopy, you may be advised just to manage your symptoms with tablets as you are doing.

Many people here say their endoscopy was fine with sedation but everyone is different and it is better to say that there can be a different side to the story.

I was not advised about not taking medication or food before the procedure.  My endoscopy was quite early in the morning.  So simply follow the advice you get on your paperwork and ask lots of questions. 

• Posted

I think at the moment best thing is to try and forget about it until the paperwork comes in. If I have any questions I can ring the hospital up and be told then. 

I read they take your glasses off you, I hope they pretty much guide you in then as I wont be able to see much that isn’t blurred.

It was my decision really to have it done. Just to rule anything or confirm anything as well.

Probably my Grandad will take me and depending on what it says in the paperwork I might say you can drop me off and pick up. As I can not drive. I will hopefully just try with the throat spray only

• Posted

I am worriEd about it, but I am dont fully know why. Think its just down because I am going to hospital for a procedure and dont know what to expect. 

When you had yours, did you have to stop your antiacids/heartburn medication?

But, the pain isn’t that bad now, can feel it every now and then. But got another slight ache thanks to the dog. 

• Posted

You don't get guided in; they take you in on a trolley.  I find anything to do with medical and dental procedures an absolute nuisance because I have to explain every time all the things I am sensitive to.  Good luck with it anyway

• Posted

I use to get really nervous going to the dentist, really hated going, but now, not that bad, worse part is getting there and then waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting, seems no matter the time of the appointment, always running late. I know once I had an appointment for 9.30, got there around 9.20 and didn’t go into see the dentist until 10:15, I was all paid up by 10:20.

I think its only natural to get nervous as you dont know what to expect. 

Oh right, I just thought you would pretty much just walk in from the reception area, put on a gown or something then get taken through and told to the lie on the bed  and then just follow the drs orders.

• Posted

I worry that dental or medical treatment will set my IBS off so I have to make sure I get adequate pain relief at the dentist and tell them about my local anaesthetic sensitivities. I can’t take adrenaline injections and if I don’t get numbing gel, to help with the injection, I end up feeling too much pain and then I panic. The nerves in my mouth get inflamned and I end up back at the dentist within four days with raging toothache sometimes caused by an infection.  Then I have to watch what antibiotics I get because the common one amoxicillin makes me sick and others also give me stomach upsets.  All this can now trigger IBS.  At least I have an understanding dentist.

With endoscopies, you are given a bed in the ward first and the gastroenterologist will explain the procedure to you.

• Posted

That must be horrible,  I got diagnosed with white coat, where my blood pressure would be get higher when seeing the doctor. At the time, I was seeing another doctor to the one I am now, but I did not feel nervous, I liked the doctor, just one of them things. I had to check my blood pressure at home for 2 weeks and it was pretty steady and normal, go to the doctors and it was high again.

For saying I did not sleep very well on Tuesday-Wednesday, didnt get to sleep till after 3 and was up at 7.30. Last night I could not get to sleep until 1 and then woke up at normal time. Thought/wanted a lie in but no. 

Woke up with bubbling in my stomach, had my tablet about half an hour ago, got to get something to eat now, so will see how it goes.

• Posted

White coat syndrome is quite common.  My dad used to get that everytime his blood pressure was checked.  When I had to get a medical when I first joined my healthcare centre in Eastbourne, the nurse noticed that my pulse was racing. She asked if I had been running but I said I had only been walking briskly to make sure I was on time and didn’t want to run because I didn’t want to be out of breath.  She gave me a funny look when I said that. I rather suspect, I was uptight and that was why my pulse was racing.
    • Posted

At the moment I do feel a little sick, but that could just be from this horrible taste in my mouth. 

Luckily, the pain in the centre under the rib cage isn’t hurting or aching. But got a a dull ache toward the right side. 

Sometimes I don’t feel like I want to eat but think its more anxiety more than anything. Yesterday was going to have a chicken baguette and soup for my dinner. But only had a few sips of soup, as I did not like it and ate the baguette. 

Today having chicken and rice with some veg. 

• Posted

If the thought of waiting for your endoscopy is causing you anxiety, it may not be the best thing for you. I know it’s your decision but I found I had anxiety before the procedure, during the scope and then the huge side effects afterwards and nothing was found.  Some people still worry even if their endoscopy comes up clear especially if they still have symptoms.

I was told I probably had a week oesophageal sphincter which could be fixed with surgery.  However, given my anxiety levels,  my hyper sensitivities to sedation, (I am even worse after general anaesthesia) and the length of time I take to recover from post op pain, I decided to treat my reflux with medication instead and it works.  

Due to my Aspergers, my body doesn’t tolerate any invasive procedure very well and my immune system sets off a huge inflammatory response which doesn’t always settle down.

Anxiety won’t help your stomach pain either.  I would speak to your doctor about your worries about the procedure and ask if she thinks it’s necessary.  

I wasn’t on any antacids at the time of my procedure and I wasn’t given any info about coming off medication beforehand.  Ask your doctor about this or wait until your paperwork comes through and it probably will tell you there.  You may have to come off your stomach medications.

• Posted

Im ok if I am busy doing something or keeping my mind occupied. 

I will have it done, be a weight lifted after having it done. Plus then the doctors will have a better idea what is wrong and how to improve it.

Doctor did mention it could be a type of hernia. Which would make sense as from what I remember when I first started with this I did not have any pain on the first day on my right side until I was being sick and was bringing nothing up due to having an empty stomach so was really pulling on that area. But we will see.

At the moment feel full and bloated. Probably down to having rice, veg and chicken. I only felt sick while eating and slightly after I finished. 

• Posted

The type of hernia that would show on an endoscopy would be a hiatus hernia which is an upper digestive tract problem.  Your stomach problems sound like gastritis with which you have been previously diagnosed. It is possible to have both of these conditions.  I think that being sick would be more likely to cause a pulled muscle rather than an abdominal hernia.  Abdominal henias tend to be caused by intense presure to the area caused by very heavy lifting.over a long period of time.  If you had one, you would see and feel a lump in the area.
    • Posted

Can feel something but that could be muscle, I dont know, dont really take notice as everything was normal before this. But both blood and stool tests came back fine.

Starting to feel the pain under my centre rib cage. Over 4 hours after eating last. Only started feeling it tonight after brushing my teeth. hope something can be done or at least get it back under control. 

• Posted

When your doctor examined your stomach last year, she would have been able to feel an abdominal hernia if there was one and you would have been told.  This seems unlikely since you are very young.  Stool tests snd blood tests would not pick up this type of hernia; only a physical exsmination would.

Your pain under your ribcage is more the pain you get from gastritis which was diagnosed last year.  I think your doctor may have suggested a hiatus hernia which can cause heartburn, pain and problems swalllowing.  It can be picked up with sn endoscopy. This is upper digestive and is not the same as an abdominal hernia.  

• Posted

I dont think the tablet is having much effect at night. Deffo worse at night. Checked to see if I could get another appointment with doctor but can’t get in until a week on Tuesday. 

Its a weird feeling around the centre of the ribcage down feels tight and achey, and stomach area feels bloated yet hungry and kidda bubbly too. 

• Posted

Sorry, 13 days to see my normal doctor at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi

I manage to get an appointment with the doctor for Monday, otherwise i would have to wait over a week and at the moment lower ribcage feels tight and stomach feels bloated and bubbling 

• Posted

JUST going to take it easy over the weekend.  Just had a camomile tea as I read it can help settle your stomach. Its was blooming horrible but if it works. Also go a hot water on my stomach. 

Biggest pain ive got is where the dog landed in me in my groin area. 

Stomach is grumbling now as well. So might have something.

• Posted

If.they find that you do have gastritis and a hiatus hernia, your doctor may suggest diet and a different PPI to control it.   Sometimes stomach conditions are chronic and can only be managed.
    • Posted

Just weird as it was like just under my ribcage, now down into my stomach bubbling and bloated at night as well after a while in the morning ok again. 

Just a lot of discomfort from below my ribcage down.

This is really getting me down as well and makes me start to worry it’s something more serious. Even though my blood test what I had in November early December came back fine and stool test done late December came back fine as well. 

Havent had the letter from hospital through yet either. 

When I start to think about everything I start to feel sorry for myself which makes everything worse, so got to stop thinking like that. 

• Posted

It may be gastritis as your doctor suggested.  I wouldn’t stress about it though, because you will upset your stomach more.
    • Posted

Yeah, I know. Think I am/was worried about the endoscopy, and probably made it worse, but I dont think the tablets work full day, probably start to wear off around tea time. 

Glad I have got an appointment though with my doctor can tell her what happened since Wednesday, and I have lost around half a stone in a week, but, I havent been having snacks or unhealth things, just bland like things rice, spaghetti, eggs, soup, chicken and veg. And for drink just tea, water and milk. Also had a camomile tea(horrible) BUT I can not remember if I had my jeans on last week, if I did I wouldve had a belt with a metal buttle and they are heavier than jogging bottoms. 

The first time for a while I can remember my stomach is making bubbling noises and growning noises like normal. 

• Posted

Also doesnt help that I have an ache in my groin thanks to the dog jumping on me. What you get when you have a young springer spaniel. That happened on Wednesday as well, everything happened on Wednesday, that ache and the bubbling in my stomach and generally feeling blah at night
    • Posted

I don’t feel good at all today. Woke up and my stomach near the rib cage feels really sore. Had my tablet but I don’t think it is helping much. Got a horrible taste in my mouth again and it’s making me feel sick.  Plus towards where the stomach ends that hurts as well. In two minds whether to nip to the walk in centre in the next town. But I have got an appointment with doctor Monday morning. 
    • Posted

Has your doctor ever suggested a dietician to help tailor an eating plan to your requirements?  Gastritis can be linked to anxiety and can come and go in bouts.  Anxiety about your symptoms may be triggering your gastritis
    • Posted

No, when I got home from wednesday I was really worried about the camera going down my throat. So  that couldve set it off again. But has been playing up abit before. 

Can you remember how long it took for your referral to come through?

I’ve accepted that I am going to have the camera, but just got to decide whether to have the sedative or not. 

• Posted

It really sounds that your anxiety is triggering your symptoms. Diet and stress management I think is the key to coping with your symptoms.

I had private endoscopy but I can’t remember how long it took for my referral.  It would have been quicker than an NHS appointment. It was such a long time ago and to be honest, I think I blanked a lot of it out because of my bad experience with it.

Sedation is not a good idea if you have anxiety and depression because it can actually increase it.  It plays on your sensitive side.  I would ask for the throat spray.  However, if you are worrying about the procedure, I would ask yourself if it is really a good idea for you since the thought of it 

is upsetting your stomach.

There are alternatives to endoscopies such as a barium meal which doesn’t require sedation.

• Posted

I think it is worth having it done. I can discuss the sedative or the spray with the nurse when having or with doctor on Monday.

I have wrote down what my symptoms are on a piece of paper to not forget them.

Just trying to relax at the moment by watching videos. 

• Posted

Will do, the pain at the moment is on the right side just to the lower right of my belly button 
    • Posted

Try not to concentrate on the pain and do the things you enjoy.  Gastritis worsens with stress and anxiety.   I don’t worry at all about my stomach and concentrate on my hobbies and as a result I stay pain free.  I have antispasmodics and painkillers to hand for emergencies and knowing I have a solution for a sudden flare up, really helps.

You may need a stronger PPI or a higher dose and some tips from your doctor on how to manage your anxiety and stress levels.

• Posted

I think i have been focusing too much on my stomach.

I told my mum and said try and take your mind off it and said go for a walk. Texted my friend and been on a walk around our country park. Been out nearly 4 hours.

Probably/ hopefully will get some stronger tablets. I told my mum id probably feel better if i felt like i was improving, instead either feel same or worse

• Posted

Fresh air and a change of scene is good for the mood.  Once you relax, your stomach will too.
    • Posted

Do you think that a stronger tablet would help as well??

Im trying to relax, just got out of the bath. Also ate more food today as well, I did not want anything this morning but forced myself to eat and then this evening, I felt hungry and did eat all the dinner, then felt like I couldve ate more. 

• Posted

You could ask your doctor about a stronger tablet since the ones you are taking aren't helping.

• Posted

HI

Just seen doctor. Checked my stomach again and couldnt feel any lumps or bumps.

Because I had just ordered some more tablets she said take 2 in the morning and then if you need to take one at night so will be Lansoprazole 45mg gastro-resistant a day instead of Lansoprazole 15mg gastro-resistant.

Also said about to try and fast track for the camera as well. 

I wrote all my symptoms down and said to myself must ask if need to stop medication if having the camera, and I forgot about that bit. But will wait and see when the paperwork will come.

Im going to ask my brother if he will go on a walk with me if he isnt going out, i doubt he will. But will ask anyway.

• Posted

HOPEFULLY. Im just going to try and forget about it and watch some winter Olympics ane try and get out the house each day.

I know on wed and fri I am going out the house, wed me and my brother are going for a walk, hopefully on Friday as well (weather depending) and going to see my nan and grandad. Sunday, me and my friend are going around the park again and then heading to out town park to do an ex raid in pokemon go. 

• Posted

THank you

I think what i am going to do is have a tablet at night for a few days, and then see how I go without it. 

• Posted

I wouldn’t suddenly come off the tablets because it can cause rebound symptoms.  Either stay on them or if you want to come off them, you need to do it slowly.
    • Posted

Had a better nights sleep last night and for the first time In a while i didnt wake up with the horrible taste. Got it a little later, but, already had my tablets so had a polo mint. Just woke feeling a little bloated. 

Will continue with the tablet at night for a while.

Still a little pain.

• Posted

With time, the tablets should work.  Some people feel better after a few days, but to get the full benefit, you will need to wait several weeks.
    • Posted

Doctor said take the one at night if you need it, but i will be taking it for a while yet
    • Posted

Hopefully, the meds will take effect soon.
    • Posted

I think with a combination of them and calming down and trying to relax is/will help.
    • Posted

If you have found your food triggers and are avoiding them when possible, the next stage is to tackle your anxiety.
    • Posted

I havent really.  

Ok to have a little bit of cheese? And tuna?

• Posted

Everyone has different triggers.  The best way to find out what affects you is to try the food and see if it causes symptoms. Record everything you eat and any symptoms that crop up. Then avoid the foods that irritate your stomach.  One of the reasons why you are still having trouble could be that you haven’t yet found a diet plan that suits your stomach.
    • Posted

At the moment i only have pain on the lower right of my stomach.

The only things that i found really since September are red onion and peppers. 

• Posted

Simply avoid red onion, peppers and tomato which you said causes you trouble, take your medication and try and stay calm because you are doing the best you can for your stomach.  Try and get referred to a dietician.
    • Posted

Been out fir a walk. Think today, I feel more down.

Not sure about tomatoes, sometimes i get a dull ache sometimes i don't.

Im being treated more for acid reflux I think. Woke up not as bloated today, just the sharp pain just lower right of my belly button.

Good thing is i am not in as much discomfort now than last week. 

• Posted

A low mood and worry about your symptoms can also cause the pain to get worse. 
    • Posted

CANT really pick myself up and be “happy” just keep thinking about the past, which upsets me.

Each day this week Ive had a bath and stayed in the bath for over an hour just relaxing, then had tablet, a slice of toast as got to have food 30mins after and then gone and lay down in bed. 

Worse pain at the moment is on my lower right side which is like a sharp stabbing pain.

• Posted

I think you should speak to your doctor about your anxiety and depression to see if you can get CBT or counselling.  I think your mental health is underpinning your digestive conditions.  The brain and the gut are linked and your mood can affect your intestines. You need a coping mechanism of some sort to help you to deal with past memories that upset you.

I find dealing with past, hurtful memories very hard too and in my case I think this has contributed to my GI problems.  Now that I know getting stressed about the past can trigger my IBS, I try to satirise and poke fun at the situation or the individuals that caused me annoyance in a Limerick.  It is a great way of letting off steam.

A counsellor should be able to suggest techniques that would work for you. Everyone has there own way of dealing with it.   Some people think pretending the event hasn't happened solves it for them.  For me, denying something hurtful has taken place only papers over the cracks and doesn't deal with the situation at its root.

• Posted

I have said to myself, once youve got your stomach settled go and get some therapy, and come off all tablets
    • Posted

The sharp pain on the right I am just keeping an eye on it.

As if I start to throw up or the pain get worse. I will try and get to the drs or hospital walk in centre as it could be my appendix 

• Posted

I wouldn't wait for your stomach to settle before getting therapy because your stomach has not really settled down properly since your gastritis started and all the while your anxiety is triggering pain. I 

would see your doctor straight away to organise counselling because that will help to calm your stomach down.  In the meantime, try some painkillers to ease your pain.

Did your doctor suspect a grumbling appendix? If she ruled that out, I wouldn't worry about it. 

• Posted

I think she thought it couldve been but didnt say it she checked my stomach out and pressed where the appendix is and if it was there would be more pain and there wasnt. Plus I havent got any other major symptoms. Just seeing how i go.

I mean get the pain under control first and then go for it.

• Posted

If you had appendicitis you would have severe pain when the doctor pressed on the area. If there wasn’t severe pain, that’s probably why she wasn’t concerned.  If she thought it was your appendix, she would have referred you for a CT.  i would take painkillers for the pain.
    • Posted

I have done. Comes and goes throughout the day really. 

That was my guess as well. Think she asked the questions was pretty sure itbwasnt anything to do with my appendix then pressed and that ruled it out. 

But at least i know the signs

• Posted

I do need therapy.

Last night noticed i am going abit thin on top of my head and started panicking as im going bald. Im nearly 26. And my mind raced through - your going bald - people will make fun of you - wont be able to get a girlfriend etc.

How do I go about getting help?  Without going back to my doctor?

• Posted

You are probably getting male pattern baldness which can occur when you are in your twenties or when you are much older.  It is very common.  My brother got married in his twenties and he was already receding then.  He doesn’t have much hair now in his early forties.  Stress can cause alopecia too.  Maybe try to style your hair in a way to cover the thin patch with styling mousse or lacquer and people will be none the wiser.

I started going grey at twenty five and I am now predominantly grey on the top of my head and the sides and I have to dye it once a month.  I am 45 and I don’t want to look grey at a fairly young age.

I think you best bet is to ask your doctor about help for your anxieties.

• Posted

Hi, 

I will wash my hair today again and hopefully wont be too dry and itchy. I have a mop haircut at the moment so will probably have it cut shorter so i style it a little and try and hide it. Doesn’t help that its dry at the moment, will comb it differently and use a little gel or something to hold it. I told my mum as well.

I have signed up for talking therapy. Just got to wait again. Its in the next town along at the local hospital, i think. Again I told my mum about it and said hopefully this will help me.

Think i just worry about what people will say. As I dont know that many people I automatically go back to when I was at school and I haven’t seen nearly all of them for 10years. Which is daft but I cant help it. I think i worry that I haven’t got a girlfriend as the one thing i want in life is to have kids and some of my family members are having kids this year. I think also because I have been struggling with my mental health and general health for a while that does not help. Plus I haven’t got any money either and again people i went to school with are getting there own places as well as family members of a similar age. Its like I have put that pressure on me. 

Thank you for keep messaging me and helping me. I appreciate it.

• Posted

I’m not married either even at my age and live with my dad.  The upside to that us that I don’t have any rent or food expenses to pay.  So I have no financial worries which is a help. My dad runs the house and I use my money to enjoy myself buying clothes or meeting friends.  When do have to start having more household responsibilities, I’ll handle it when it comes.  For now, I’m keeping that prospect on the back burner.

Male pattern baldness will likely affect your friends too so they will be in the same in the end. You are not the only young man to go through it; you’re not alone.

Good luck with the therapy when it comes.

• Posted

I think the stomach issues i am having has triggered an anxiety/depression attack because of going to hospital and not really knowing what is happening and then in the meantime when you do start to feel better you are delicate to an attack. Which has been happening to me.

I do think about if i will meet anyone and eventually have kids. But I don’t have really anything to offer anyone, and I think that is in the back of my mind as well. 

I keep telling myself that I am 25 and still have time. Think its just hard seeing your ex friends be in the position you want to be in. But I keep telling myself i am 25 and 2 of my cousins were both in there mid 30s before they had kids. Then my mind wonders again and say they both had good jobs and homes by that time as well.  Its a real viscous circle. Sometimes i do have dark thoughts because I can not see a future. But then try and do something or be in the company of either my mum or brother. 

My minds a mess

• Posted

I met my boyfriend by complete chance when I wasn't  even expecting it or making any effort to find one.  It turned out we both hit it off immediately.  You never know, you might meet a girl that way too.  Jusy relax about it. You have plenty of time.  Quality time with your family can also be great.

• Posted

i could do with a good cry.  

I think schools should do a class or something to prepare people for after, as that is when my depression and anxiety started.  

How long have you been together?

Should hear back for the therapy in the next 28 days. So got that to wait for and the endoscopy, been 8 days since doctor bringing it up and 3 days since was going to fast track.  Its a weird feeling when the post comes because i want it to come and yet i dont.

Going to have some spaghetti and chicken for tea, then go for a long bath and watch something.

I just been having problems wanting to do things. A battery in my clock as gone and I cant be bothered to change it eventhough I know I should. Same with a pc tower. We got a new for downstairs which I set up downstairs and I got the old one, its over 10 years old, still runs xp, there is enough room behind my tv so was going to put it there. That was probably 4 weeks ago this Saturday first 2 weeks my stomach was playing up but last week i just could not be bothered

• Posted

Before I had a bath looked at my hair and some parts were dry and together and felt like straw so I had a bath and looked at my hair and the parting down the middle just looks wider, so going to change my parting to one, that way it should hide the thinning. Also doesnt help that the light is right above the mirror. But made me feel a little better, got to accept it and carry on as I can not afford any special shampoo or tablets or transplants. Just got to try and hide it.

Contacted the samaritans and some other mental health charity for help or information that could improve my depression/anxiety.

Stomach, continuing with the 3 tablets a day for a while. Generally the pain hasnt been that bad today, just feel it every now and then. 

• Posted

I was very unprepared for life both after school and university because of Aspergers which I only discovered I had at the age of 40. I wasn’t able to hold down a proper job because of it so I try now to concentrate on my writing which keeps me calm and my IBS in check.  I have developed a habit of trying to laugh at commotions more.

I have been with my boyfriend for around ten years and he keeps me anused too.

• Posted

Good luck with the mental health charities.
    • Posted

I am worried about losing my hair, so got to try and hide that. Think at the moment that is my worst fear which is making me feel down, then my stomach and then everything else. 

I think if i had some money that would help as I could do more and be in a position i thought i would be in now. Or at least feel more comfortable and confident to try and get a girlfriend. 

Had an ok nights sleep. I have been lucky really when it comes to sleep when i have an anxiety/ depression attack as when  i fall asleep i normally stay a sleep until aroun 6-7 then manage to nod off again for a little while. Its just getting to sleep that can be the problem. Atm mainly because I saw my scalp through my hair 

• Posted

In the end it doesn’t matter what others think about you. Just be yourself.  I doubt people will even notice you have changed your hairstyle to hide a thin patch.  Worry can make hair loss worse.  I used to have a small patch at front of my hairline that would appear during exam stress and then grow in again after the exam period.  A lot of men hide hair loss; it is perfectly normal to this.
    • Posted

I just worry about it as i am not very confident in my self as it is and that will probably make things worse. At the moment i have changed my parting and you cant see anything underneath. Before i had my hair hair flat and combed abit either side so parting was down the middle and if i combed straight I could see my scalp down thr centre in certain light. But it doesn’t help that the bathroom mirror is right below the light. Plus when I noticed it my hair was dry and looked greasy.

Good news about the mental healtg therapy, self referred on Thursday and got the appointment yesterday for 5th March. It is only a telephone appointment to begin with but that will determine what therapy will be best for me.

Still eating bland foods. Stomach mainly hurts in two places, but trying not to think about it. Havent got the letter yet for thr appointment, when the one for therapy came I thought that was it as it said “private and confidential” probably could get that letter next week as trying to be fastracked by my GP.

Yesterday I did go for a walk around our country park with my dad. Was a good walk, over 10k again. Then in evening went to see my grandparents, so was talking more. Going to try and go for a walk with my brother later today, won’t be as far though. 

• Posted

Plus at some point over the weekend i have got to wrap ab item i sold last weekend on eBay. I let them know i am not very well at the moment, but I have not felt like doing it. I know I have got to do things but i just can not be bothered and sooner try and get out of tge house for a while. Yesterday me and my dad was out the house fir nearly 4hours, i know tomorrow me and my friend are doing pretty much the same walk, not sure if he will be driving us ti the park, but if he does then that will knock iff about 1.5k each way.

At the moment i am not really thst bothered about therapy, i sm kind of looking forward to it as hopefully it can improve my mental health snd get me better. Worst part is the telephone appointment, hopefully we can both understand one another, wouldve preferred a proper face to face one but that could’ve probably taken longer, the centre as been really helpful though, i have had a few questions so dropped them an email and i heard back from them in a few hours. In the meantime I have been incontact with the samaritans for additional general talk and support. 

I might try and watch Benidorm on netflix, eventhough i watched it not long ago, it is a colourful warm show and is funny in tge earlier seasons. Make a change from dullness.

• Posted

If you have a main bathroom light as well as the mirror light, use the main light instead so it doesn’t focus on your hair so much.  Good luck with the therapy.
    • Posted

I mean the main light is right above the mirror where you stand.

Going for a walk this afternoon with my brother about 3. Wouldve already gone for a walk with him but his friend and him are going to gym but his friend didnt message him back till 12.30. 

• Posted

Got another message to you but its got to be looked at for some reason. Is it ok to keep writing and replying to yiu?
    • Posted

Went for a walk with my brother. Because I play pokemon go, you can get an idea on how far you walk. We used the short cuts and from our house to the park it is 1.8k so did that there and back, then walked between 3-4k around a old theme park. So in 2 days walked around 15k+ and will do another 10k tomorrow.

Ive got to try and stop checking my hair. It is a little thinner but if I comb  my hair over one side you cant tell. You cant really tell unless under bright light, and really the light in the bathroom is only around 2 foot above my head. Mainly just the parting. Got to stop checking using my phone or mirrors or even reflections in cars really. 

What i think i will do to do this is treat myself with something like a video game or dvd or something like that, what do you think of that idea?

Stomach, been ok had pasta for my tea, Only really had pain on the lower right side. Some discomfort under rib cage but mainly on right side. Just going to have my last tablet of the day and then a bite to eat ( due to tablet)  wash teeth, and relax. 

• Posted

You can keep messaging me for support.  Video games and DVDs are a good idea to distract your mind from looking at your hair and worrying about your confidence levels.  Once you have changed your hairstyle, leave it at that because you won’t see it. 
    • Posted

Just read the leaflets that come with my tablets and it says both can cause hairloss.

Was tired last night but could not drop to sleep. I know my lower right stomach area was hurting.

I think tonight i am going to write a list of things i want to do tomorrow to try and get it done and have something to aim for.

Today, going to have some breakfast, go for a walk with my friend most of the day, get back have some dinner, sit down and let mu dinner settle, have a bath, tablet, food and relax. Going to ask my brother to watch something with me but I think he is going to the gym at night.

I think generally I feel down and then with things like my stomach and seeing what looks to be thinning hair it as made me feel worse.

Throughout the day if I am not doing anything I do feel like I want to cry. 

• Posted

Telk your doctor about the hairloss side effect with your tablets and say that  this side effect is causing you intense anxiety.  Ask to switch to a different medication.
    • Posted

I probably will when i go back to see her.

Went on the walk with my friend, I didn’t really enjoy it compared with last week. Last week when i got back i felt not as down this time feel the same really. I think it was down to not talking as much as his younger brother came with us so he has got to look after him, which is obviously the correct thing to do.

• Posted

If it turns out that your tablets have thinned your hair, then it is likely your hair will grow back once you stop the medication and switch to one that doesn’t affect your hair.
    • Posted

I m trying to forget about it. But when i see my doctor I will tell her. 

The walk yesterday I didnt enjoy so much because there waa a lot of families about or couples, plus I wasn’t speaking as much.

I think today i am just going to have 1 stomach tablet in the morning and 1 at night. If it gets worse i can go back to 2 in the morning and 1 at night.

Just checked post and haven’t got the letter yet.

Going to ask my brother to go on a walk again and hopefully watch something at night, as we did last night. We wasn’t talking much but it was nice to know someone was there. My depression and anxiety is definitely worse in the day

• Posted

Are you on any anxiety/depression medication?
    • Posted

BEEn on them for years on and off now. 

Went for a walk with my brother

• Posted

HI

I had phone call about what could help with my mental health on Monday. Same day I got a letter about the camera, been waiting for a while and turns out the appointment is just a telephone call for this Monday. 

From when I started taking 3 tablets a day I was ok so, worked down to just 2, 30mg. Went to get my tablets yesterday and it didnt go through because It was for a 2 month but because doctor told me to double it or even have 3, it did not change on my prescription, which i have got to go bck later today to hopefully pick them up. 

Which i will need as my stomach as started to ache and hurt again. Despite eating relatively bland

• Posted

Hi

Went on a good 12-15k walk today.

Been walking quite abit. At the moment, I am going through a quarter life crisis. So that doesnt help with my depression and anxiety. I have not heard anything back from the therapy yet.

The appointment is on Monday and just a phone call with, whom I am guessing is the endoscopy Doctors Secretary. That is all it is....

• Posted

Maybe you will get more information about the procedure and instructions.
    • Posted

i know this is a long thread but it seems you might have a gallbladder problem. Do hida scan to see if your gallbladder is working or not and then the ultrasound for any stones.
    • Posted

HAd my telephone appointment on Monday.

All it was, was to give me a time and day to see the consultant. I wasnt on the phone a minute, now just got to wait for the paperwork for that appointment now.

• Posted

blood work is of no use and it shows only if you run in to jaundice. Do hida scan to see if your gallbladder works and ultrasound for gallstones. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.