Can Gastritis be cured?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Gastritis via a doctors examination, I havent had any tests.

I have a sharp pain under my my rib cage, centre, above my belly button and was throwing up every time I stood up or walked. Dr came and out and gave me some tablets to help with acid, I just let them melt in my mouth. Took 1 and the next day the pain had dulled alot.

Went to the drs again this week as was still in a little pain, mainly on the right side, just a dull ache, said it was probably Gastritis after checking my stomach area out for quite a while, pressing down and all that said she couldnt feel anything unusual. Said to keep on the tablet, but go down to 1 a day instead of 1 twice a day. and eat bland foods and I should be alright in  a few weeks.

Can Gastritis be cured?

I am only drinking water and eating bland foods like Pasta, spaghettio and rice. Plus eating wholemeal bread now.

5 likes, 344 replies

344 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Keep off Tomatoes,alcohol and fatty food. I have gastritis and don't think mine can be cured as 8 have developed metaplasia and that is not good but you could probably get rid of it with careful diet. Kefir is good as it a probiotic and you need that as it's anti inflammatory and turmeric is anti inflammatory but don't take and same time as any PPItablets, u take PPI in am and turmeric a few hours later. You can join the Tumeric users website and it gives you info about how to use it. Good luck, sounds as it you can catch it early.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne , how long did it take for your gastritis to develop into metaplasia?

• Posted

I found out that I had gastritis at the same time as metaplasia although I have suffered from acid reflux for 20 years on and off, it was not diagnosed as gastritis. 
    • Posted

Jo,

Im eating a bland diet now. Having wholemeal bread, veg, mushrooms, poached egg, rice, spaghetti, tagliatelle, yogurt, yakult and another drink yogurt. Also for drink just water.

How and where you describe your pain?

As mine is just a really dull ache.

• Posted

Suzanne, yes you are spot on with the Kefir/Tumeric and PPI's.  I have just started Kefir and I can't take it within an hour of my Ranitidine.

Didn't know about Tumeric website, will look at thanks.

G.

• Posted

I will say this, when I had the dull ache as my primary symptom of gastritis, I started to take l-glutamine and it completely took the pain away.  I no longer have the dull ache, but the occasional burning stomach.  I do feel my gastritis is improving, slowly, but it's getting there.  Food for thought.  You can buy it online for like $18.  Take a small bit like 1g at first to test it and see how your body responds to it for the first few days.  If all is good, then I would recommend taking 5g of powder with 5 to 10oz of water twice a day in between meals.  That's what I did.  No more than 10g a day.  Can't hurt. 

• Posted

Of corse Gastritis can be cured the only one uncurable gastritis is Autoimmune gastritis
  • Posted

Don't think Gastritis is a curable thing Its something that come and goes and when your inflamed even looking at a french fry causes pain Not to say you cant ever have something yummy Glad your Doc helped If the pain going to your right side continues I would look further into it Sometime Gastritis is a secondary problem to say your gall bladder Just a heads up Stay on it and feel better

• Posted

I have Gastritis for about 25 yr's, I cannot drink tea or coffee, i have had many endoscopies, just to confirm, & yes its gastritis, I take a PPI tab every morning, maintenance dose, just 20 mg, & I eat normal food, apart from spicy stuff, or very acidic stuff, I can get Vitamin C in suppository form over the counter, & avoid tabs that contain Ibropufin where possible, it doesn't ever go away, we learn to live with it feel completely normal. If I get a flare up I double up on the PPI for a day or too, or go completely bland, milk food etc for a few days, i be very careful of foods that are too salty, If I eat them I will pay the price. I try to stick to plain foods for healthy reasons. I got my Gastritis from DIETING...plenty wont admit to that.., we can eat & not overdo it,. walking & exercise, I know it all now, but cant go back...breakfast is so very important, the acid in the tum is waiting there for the food in order to digest it, so if the food don't come, & in a short while the acid starts to eat away so to speak at the lining of the stomach, & oesophagus ..& Gastritis is the result...Good luck everyone...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.