Can GERD cause reoccurring chest pain?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can GERD cause reoccurring chest pains?

I've been having sharp chest pains everyday multiple times a day for a week now. Last weekend, I had pain, got dizzy and my left arm went numb. That lasted 10 seconds at most. I was on vacation so I went to urgent care and had EKG done that was normal and saw my PCP 2 days later who said I was ok it was probably just anxiety or a skipped beat but she scheduled a nuclear stress test to make sure. I go for that in 4 days.

I've had 5 EKGs, an echocardiogram, and wore a 24 hour holter monitor all within the last 8 months; as well as bloodwork. It's all been normal.

Around the same time the sharp chest pains started months ago, I also started getting a heart flutters feeling and a sensation that there was something stuck in my throat; as well asthma type symptoms (which I've NEVER had in my life!). I've always had acid reflux/regurgitation but I never thought anything of it until I went to the ENT and he stuck a camera in my throat and said "GERD".

Sometimes they can be exacerbated when I move my arm around or when I stretch my back or if I press on the area but 95% of the time they just come for no good reason. It can also happen in clusters. I can have it for days or a week and then not for weeks or months. I've also noticed, recently, that I've been belching a lot. Like I just had a few chest pains as I was writing this and then I started belching shortly after. I also sometimes get hot flashes after the pain.

It's at the top of my left breast mainly but can happen in different spots on my left side (like right by sternum). It's also in the same spot on my right side, by sternum and top of breast.

Is this GERD or what the heck? Anyone else have this? It's really scaring me.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I have the chest pains as well. Mine are more surface pains though, they don't feel deep in my chest. They are sharp and only last a few seconds with a small gap of relief in between the pains. I am certain that I have gerd, my pain sometimes radiates to my back and shoulders as well. The heart flutters more than likely are anxiety triggered by your chest pains from the gerd. I've experienced these same symptoms your not alone

• Posted

Mine are sharp will small gaps as well! Sometimes I get a squeezing muscle spasm feeling that's uncomfortable as well tho.

Thank you for replying! I was starting to really freak myself out that's why I made this post.

• Posted

I had a HH repair and Nissen Fundoplication due to similar symptons that u have....i did not know if i were having a heart attack...they did ph probe showed ave a weak sphincter..motility study showed 60 percent stomach acid pout=ring into the chest HH which caused the attacks....surgery done in March no more of that thank God..but i was getting palpittions during recovery....that opened pandoras box because blood work showed high calcium level...that too had similar symptons for which indicates a hyperparathyroid....means one or more of  the 4 have a tumour.....which needs to come out inorder to be normal again....now i suggest you look into this as well have your calcium level checked and go from there.....Good Luck to you its very difficult to find what is causing a person not to feel well and its almost a process of elimination and you being your own detective.....only u know ur body    good luck....

• Posted

The last year I was having a lot of issues so I've had A LOT of bloodwork done. They checked for autoimmune and everything so I think my calcium is ok unless there's a specific test for it.

I'm not sure of the procedures you mentioned I'll have to look them up.

Thank you for the advice!!

• Posted

What helped me with my reflux was to rebalance my pH levels. So if you are on any "medications" perscribed by doctors-- I suggest reanalyzing that. You can test your pH levels with strips, and it should be anywhere between 7.15-7.45. Mine was 6.25. So, I started drinking ionized alkalized water and eating more alkalized foods, while avoiding acidic foods such as: cheese, dairy, sodas, sugary foods/drinks, and meats. 

Also I suggest eating more greens,(which are more alkalied) drinking kefir, and vegetable juices. I check my pH levels daily, and they've been incresing, while my symptoms have been decreasing. 

I reccomend essentia ionized alkalized water(9.5 pH). I drink a good about a day, about 100 fl oz.(1.5L) 

If you do end up utilizing my advice, please let me know how the experience goes for you because I would like to help other people as well. 

• Posted

If my nuclear is clear I'll definitely try this for GERD.

I had a nice man message me some diet advice as well I'm going to try.

Thank you! I'll let you know!

• Posted

I could have written this post myself. I'm going thru the exact same thing. Had a exercise stress test today which I passed, but I'm still having symptoms. I was hoping some of them were anxiety-related and would disappear once I confirmed my heart is fine. My doctor seems to think the pains after related to acid reflux or inflammation of the cartilage of my chest/ribs. No answers here, but wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

• Posted

Wow so do you have it multiple times a day too and for multiple days? This is the first time I've had it for a week straight. My nuclear is on Tues and I'm really not trying to go to the ER before then for this so I'm hoping my anxiety stays at bay. I keep trying to tell myself it's prob just the GERD but my anxiety is screaming otherwise. It's seriously so annoying. I didn't expect 29 to be like this, that's for sure.

• Posted

Yes, have it throughout the day. Believe me, when it started I was for sure it was my heart and I was going to die. And that would make my anxiety skyrocket. It got to the point where I couldn't sit still and couldn't breathe properly like I was having a panic attack. I've gotten better with he anxiety, but the shortness of breath and sharp chest pains and excessive burping and general achiness is still there. Sometimes I feel just fine and other moments during the day it kicks in. I have noticed the shortness of breath happens after I eat or drink or when I have a pain and my anxiety kicks in. I'm around your age (35) and I feel for you. We feel like we're too young to deal with heart troubles and we're probably right. The odds are overwhelmingly in favor of this having nothing to do with your heart. I think the stress test will make you feel a little more secure. Take your pulse when you feel the pain. That is what my cardiologist told me to do and it helped calm me down. if it isn't going crazy or skipping then you are just fine. Try to breathe into your belly not chest. That helps me too. Good luck. I really do feel for you. It sucks so much.

• Posted

I have chest pressure, lack of air and rib-cage pain every day, all day long.  Stars mild in the morning up to Moderate-high late afternoon like 6PM.  Itching sometimes. All test done from A to Z and nothing besides mild reflux/gastritis on my esophagus amd throat.  Normal stomach acid levels (from PH Bravo) No heartburn and I sleep good.  Actually, when I lay back 80-90% of the chest problem is gione. But then back hurts for laying back so much.   Right now seeing a Functional Doc which she put m on Leaky G diet until test results comes in this Tuesday.  Bone broth every day with no grains is not easy. ;-(  Lost to much weight.
    • Posted

Btw, strees/anxiety is a BIG factor and taking the pill does help a little so they do make thing worse.
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I try to remember what you said when I'm having them. I'm still having them it's been 9 days now but my test is tomorrow so hopefully I'm in the clear. It's still scary lol

I'll let you all know the outcome.

• Posted

How did your test go? I got a call from my cardiologist's office that my stress test was normal and they don't think heart disease is causing my symptoms. Everyone seems convinced it is acid reflux. Ive felt better since my stress test but not yet back to normal. Perhaps one day... At any rate, I hope you got good news.

• Posted

Papote -

Let us know if changing your diet is helping. I'm trying to change mine and cut out diary. I noticed it seemed to aggravate my stomach when I indulged in ice cream or cheese. What did your test results you were expecting today say?

• Posted

I was just getting on here to say that I did the nuclear and I didn't have to go back tomorrow for the 2nd scan so it seemed to go well! The doctor told me if she saw anything abnormal I'd have to go back tomorrow. She had me hyperventilate and walk treadmill and all sorts of things so I'm thinking it turned out okay.

Thank you for asking! And I'm glad yours isn't as well!! I'm staring to think it really might be the GERD afterall!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.