Can GERD cause reoccurring chest pain?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can GERD cause reoccurring chest pains?

I've been having sharp chest pains everyday multiple times a day for a week now. Last weekend, I had pain, got dizzy and my left arm went numb. That lasted 10 seconds at most. I was on vacation so I went to urgent care and had EKG done that was normal and saw my PCP 2 days later who said I was ok it was probably just anxiety or a skipped beat but she scheduled a nuclear stress test to make sure. I go for that in 4 days.

I've had 5 EKGs, an echocardiogram, and wore a 24 hour holter monitor all within the last 8 months; as well as bloodwork. It's all been normal.

Around the same time the sharp chest pains started months ago, I also started getting a heart flutters feeling and a sensation that there was something stuck in my throat; as well asthma type symptoms (which I've NEVER had in my life!). I've always had acid reflux/regurgitation but I never thought anything of it until I went to the ENT and he stuck a camera in my throat and said "GERD".

Sometimes they can be exacerbated when I move my arm around or when I stretch my back or if I press on the area but 95% of the time they just come for no good reason. It can also happen in clusters. I can have it for days or a week and then not for weeks or months. I've also noticed, recently, that I've been belching a lot. Like I just had a few chest pains as I was writing this and then I started belching shortly after. I also sometimes get hot flashes after the pain.

It's at the top of my left breast mainly but can happen in different spots on my left side (like right by sternum). It's also in the same spot on my right side, by sternum and top of breast.

Is this GERD or what the heck? Anyone else have this? It's really scaring me.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are definitely not alone in this journey. I am new to having this chest pains but regularly suffer from globus , Gerd etc.Mine started when i drank cold water and i felt the cold water pass down my pipe.the chest pain feels like shortness of breath but it was all relieved after having 4-5 burps. The feeling i had scared me cause i think i was having a heart attack.Panic anxities are the main reason and i think i would start drinking warm water with meals from now on.hope you feel okay soon
    • Posted

Mine don't go away with burping but u noticed this time around that I've been burping a lot.

My doc says mine is from anxiety too but I can't accept that. Not without further testing, at least. I'm not scared of having a blockage or something that they can treat, I'm scared of not knowing and dropping dead from a heart attack because of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.