Can Hypothyroidism cause muscle twitching and fasciculations?????

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hello,

I have been having muscle twitching and fasciculations for over a year now and was wondering if Hypo can cause this?

5 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hope you are well and have relief from the thigh troubles. I'm wondering since this time you discovered an answer? I have a twitchy muscle in my chest/ribcage. I took armour thyroid for 2 days, and it made me vibrate. And now the muscle thing. Thanks.

• Posted

I am Hypothyroid as well and have been having muscle cramping and twitching in my upper stomach, I found that the more water I drink the less I have this problem. Are you still experiencing this problem ?
  • Edited

Hi

I know this is an old thread but I wondered how your are getting on. I was diagnosed under active about 2 years ago

I am 40 year old male having twitching for about 3 months. Have been to see neurologist who isn't concerned greatly with anything sinister but did mention thyroid.

I had a blood test and that showed a level of 5.18

They have said that I am under Medicated

How are you getting on? Was it similar?

I have started 75mg dose today so hoping my twitching stops soon!

Any help or any assistance is great!!

• Posted

HI krisjb

?I get twitching when I'm under medicated. It stopped when I got to the right dose. I also used to get shooting pains as though I'd been stabbed. I've got hyper-extensive ligaments too, so the first I know that I'm being under medicated is that my knees become unstable and painful. There is a really good 'over stimulation' form on the ThyroGold website (it's hidden in the questions and answer section) that you can use daily to document your symptoms, though the best way I've found to tell whether I'm on the right dose is to measure my basal pulse (i.e. pulse when I've been at rest for an hour with no stimulation e.g. when trying to sleep.  If it's 60 beats a minute I'm ok, 70+ and I'm over- medicated, below 60 and I'm under medicated.  By the way, to avoid swings in symptoms I always increase or decrease in small increments at a time e.g. changing by a quarter of a 25mg tablet every 2-3 days.

• Posted

Hi Barbara.

Thank you. And am sorry for pinching someone else's thread.

I get really strange feelings in my ankle to as if it's weak and also my knees! Although they are not!

I will check the thyrogold site as this all

Seems the same with me

I do suffer from sinus bradycharidia too apparently and now I feel all points to being under medicated.

I hate these twitches but I also do believe I need to

Educate myself about thyroid function

Thank you. Your message is so so reassuring.

Kris

• Posted

I have been having muscle pain, cramps, tingling hand/feet, twitching, etc. I was diagnosed in 12/2015 with hypothryroidism. Seeing a new dr today. I feel my level of meds (Naturethroid) is too low. THe 1st dr put me on a starter dose of 65mg, insurance changed (find new dr) and she cut it in half 01/216, 32.5 mg for the past 17 mos. Hence the symtoms started...

Also, found a copy of labs from the first dr and she noted low in b12 and wanted to do an iron test. I am now hoping to get  my meds in order, and start on b12 patch for the nerve related problems (twitching, tingling, numbness). Research b12 and hypothyroidism. Also there is a hypothyroid support group on Facebook that really helps! 

• Posted

I made a very long reply, I am a nurse, but with a healing perpective; As often when I post something, it got eaten. I will come back to it when I have some more energy x.
  • Posted

Yes. It does that to me. I can still be in a normal range, but if my tsh is not at a therapeutic level for me, I get bad muscle twitches and burning feeling. I had a thyroidectomy due to thyroid cancer 12 years ago and if my tsh gets too much above 1, I get muscle twitches, tingling. It is alarming. I get my labs and keep a tight check in my thyroid panels. Hope you figure it out.

• Posted

Hi Chris, I know this is an old thread but perhaps if someone else were to read this it might give them some insight and hopefully help. I went through a spell of horrible muscle twitching. Particularly at night and really strong at bedtime as I was falling asleep. It was like a myoclonic jerk but super intense. Almost like a convulsion. Other times during the day I would just get random twitches. This occurred as I was trying to address having been over medicated on thyroid medicine. I believe mine were from decreasing the dose too quickly and experiencing a problem with histamine. When over medicated the body creates too many histamine receptors and when under medicated the body builds up histamine....a recipe for feeling awful. Histamine and thyroid receptors are all over the body. From what I've read, it is likely mine were more prominent at night because this is when the body process thyroid hormone and from one journal article I read there is a burst of thyroid hormone release right at sleep onset (falling asleep). It was so awful and went on for months! Now that I'm finally getting to the right dose they have resolved. So it could be related to being off on thyroid dose and having some subsequent histamine related problems. Unfortunately no labs were helpful for me in trying to figure this out. It was trial and error but over time as I adjusted my dose they have gone away!

• Posted

Possibly, you will have to speak to our doctor about it. Also check the instructions of the medication to confirm your findings.

• Posted

Hi Chris,

Im in need of help. I had a thyroid removal in 2019. since then the dose has moved every 4 to 6 weeks. we went from naturethroid to T3 only therapy which almost killed me. Then to armour 60 which was great for a month than my levels began to go off after covid. We couldn't seem to bring them up. It took 6 months to get to 2 grains and i was so shaky all the time. During the process i developed shooting muscle pain, muscle spasms/twitches and neuropathy. This past June I couldnt do it anymore. The TSH was at .09 but the T4 had not moved from .8 though we kept pushing armour up. The T3 was at 3.2. Changed endo's and she moved me to Tirosint 125 and Cytomel 7.5. TSH is too low now and i have all the symtoms of that. We reduced the dose but the muscle spasms/twitches/neuropathy have not stopped. Ive had a genetic test and Im also have histamine issues now and gluten sensitivity. I got off gluten, histamine foods, dairy, and gluten in July. No doctor seems to believe that the neuropathy/twitches/spasms are because of thyroid. I'm loosing my mind now. I dont know what else to do or try. Any advice or suggestions? Am i crazy to think this is all related to thyroid?

• Posted

How are you doing now? Did you get it all figured out? Hope you are well. I'm bouncing between doses myself. 125 mcgs is too high and 100 mcgs is too low. Trying 112

• Edited

Tingling in hands and feet can be low B12. Look up Pernicious Anaemia society Pernicious Anaemia is where you have a problem absorbing B12.

it could also be thyroid if your thyroid hormones fT4 and fT3 are to low for you. some people don't convert levothyroxine (T4) to T3 (the active hormone) very well and these people need liothyronine (T3) adding to their thyroid medication.

• Edited

hi guys im having similar! im suspecting hypo but not been diagnosed as yet. issues are the following ;

twitching

weight gain about a stone in a year

scalloped tongue

hair thining although coupd be down to age

aches and pains

pins and needles occasionally in hands

need to crack fingers

thumb pain and hand weakness

fatigue

neck seems thicker

i suffer in the cold months and when its warm i get itchy

i seem to get random days of excess saliva too

whatever it is its doing my head in!

cheers for reading

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.