Can Hypothyroidism cause muscle twitching and fasciculations?????

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hello,

I have been having muscle twitching and fasciculations for over a year now and was wondering if Hypo can cause this?

5 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everybody,

Thanks for the comments. I went to my GP sometime last year and was referred to a neurologist. They checked my reflexes which were fine and ordered an MRI which returned normal.

Shortly after seeing the neurologist, I started getting some problems with my left hand (inability to grip and constant numbness.) and was sent back. A nerve conduction study was ordered and I was told I had left Ulnar neuropathy. 

The problem is, Ulnar neuropathy doesn't explain the twitching and fasciculations all over my body. It is quite fustrasting because the twitching becomes quite violent sometimes in the morning (falling over, dropping things). If there is supposedly no neurological-related problem then the only cause I think it can be is the hypothyroidism.

• Posted

Hi Chris - My Hypothyroid causes me the same issue with numbness and weakening of my muscles.  Especially gripping things.  I had a tremor in my hands as well.  I went to the Neurologist and they said it was just a benign tremor.  Since I have adjusted my meds, it's gotten a lot better but it is just another sign I use to tell me if I'm undermedicated.  I still don't have my strength back 100% but it's much better and no more tremor.
    • Posted

It might be an idea to see a physiotherapist to see if they can help you build your muscle srength back up.
  • Posted

Chris, I have peripheral neuropathy but I didn't connect it to being hypo. What's fasciculations? The muscle twitching could be down to the medication as I have them. 

I used to smoke and the first one I had in the morning would make me dizzy and act like I was drunk. I had to lay on my bed until the tingling in my body went. My Doctor said it was low blood pressure.

• Posted

Helena, Fasciculations are like twitching but under the skin. I doubt my problem would be low blood pressure when I have hypertension due to kidney problems.
  • Posted

I also have hypothyroidism, and for the last month have been getting constant muscle twitching in my right thigh. I have never had this symptom in the last 13 years of being diagnosed. After searching for answers on the Internet, this site was quite reassuring considering the alternatives! I have started taking magnesium, have been stretching, tried acupuncture and remedial massage but can't seem to get any relief from the twitching. Any ideas would be welcomed.

• Posted

I get muscle twitching when my levels are too low and I need more thyroid hormine. Have you had your levels checked lately?
    • Posted

Thanks Barbara. I'm hoping that's all it is. I'm going to get a blood test tomorrow.

• Posted

Were you able to resolve your thigh twitching? I'm having this in my left thigh. It drives me crazy! I also have hypothyroidism.

• Posted

By twitching, do you mean a sudden jerk. If so I got this when I was under-dosed with thyroxine. It went away once I was on the right dose.
    • Posted

No, it's more like an on and off muscle spasm. Lasts for minutes at a time, then goes away, then starts again. I've had this happen before and never connected it to my thyroid. I have missed a few doses lately and have taken some probably too close to my coffee with cream. I'm going to try to do better and see if they go away.

• Posted

So although my muscle problems were different, there may well be a similar cause: that if not enough thyroid hormone (or not being absorbed properly due to taking too close to food). Definitely try to remember to take it, preferably an hour before breakfast (or 4 hours after eating). I use a pill container to help me remember. Sometimes I wasn't sure if I'd taken it. By using a daily pill container I can easily check whether I've had that day's pills. A test you can do, is measure your basal pulse rate i.e. taken when you been lying in bed for an hour doing nothing, or first thing in the moring before moving. For me, if it's less than 60, I am low in thyroid hormone. Above 70 and I'm taking too much.

• Posted

Wow thank you! I've never known this! I've taken the same dose for 26 years but have been "bad" lately about remembering and/or taking far too close to my coffee. A pill box is a great idea.

• Posted

I didn't know about taking on an empty stomach for 20 years. It didn't used to be in the patient information leaflet. Do you also know not to have medication containing iron or calcium within 2 hours? These too impair the absorption. I take thyroid hormone in the morning and multivitamin / iron at lunch.

• Posted

Good morning Chris,

I was wondering where these muscle twitches are occurring on the body?

Thank you, have a great day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.