Can I cut my HRT patch in half ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m going cuckoo today at my wits end !!! Only 4 weeks on the patch and although it’s lifted my fatigue and dizziness I have terrible depression now. 

Is it too strong for me ? Should I cut it in half ? I  am very sensitive to medications .

The weeks months are passing by ... can’t make any plans for travel or anything fun as cannot chance travelling feeling dizzy or extremely exhausted. 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lori, did you read my last post? You can cut it in half but it will take a few days before you start feeling any change, I recommend you contact your doctor for another alternative. It sounds as if this medication isn't suited for you, even if you lower the dose you may still have a predisposition for depression.

• Posted

Yes I will tomorrow ... just debating what’s worse.....  ready for bed at 4.30pm and extreme dizziness without the patch or deep depression and great skin with it.

I’ll try the half the patch if she agrees as I need ‘something’ . I was a complete mess before but this is pretty awful all around . 

• Posted

Hi Sochima

can you tell me where your post is about cutting hrt patch please.

i know this us an old post but hope you are still here

thanks

junie

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're going through depression to be honest I never took anything my doctor told me that taking things for menopause only prolongs the menopause symptoms so I just stayed away from it all I still experience some of the symptoms as I explain two other ladies in other discussions but not as bad as I used to hang in there it does get better there is a light at the end of the tunnel

• Posted

Lori, 

You could be similar to me - the progesterone in my first patches affected me the same way - really badly. 

After persevering for 6 months I came off them and tried a different progesterone and felt better on it. I was going to cut my patch in half but the doc said I'd hardly be getting much drug from half and she only recommended to do that when titrating down to stopping HRT altogether... 

I have no idea as I did try it anyway but didn't feel much different... 

Hope you get some relief one way or another. 

AJ. x

• Posted

Are you on a combo patch ? I’m on Climara Pro estrogen and progesterone . You waited 6 months ? Wow ! 

Did you cut the patch in half ? I wonder how one patch is different from another?

• Posted

Hi again, 

I was on a sequi patch so two weeks of oestrogen only patch  (which I was fine with) and then 2 weeks of a combi  patch each month. The combi patch oestrogen and progesterone I was NOT ok with - at all. I felt so low and angry, wanted to cry all the time and felt paranoid that everyone was so happy but I wasn't... this really wasn't me as I'm normally pretty ok... so yes, after 6 months I felt so bad that I rang my doc and asked for advice, then switched to another brand, which was better. 

AJ. xx

• Posted

If you don’t mind telling me the brand name of the new patch ?

It seems everybody is saying it’s the progesterone that makes you down ?

I like the fact my hair has gone thicker and skin looks younger but would rather feel mentally ok over that . 

• Posted

Ok so the first patch was Evorel Sequi... and I too felt my hair and skin were really good on it but like I said I literally could not tolerate the progesterone. 

The second patch I tried was Femseven Sequi but oh my word, they just kept coming off in the shower- nightmare!! Also my hair was really affected and really came out!!! 😖 Although no bad side effects,  I felt I wasn't getting the correct dosage  as I couldn't make them stick! So all change again... 

Now I've just finished my first month of Evorel oestrogen only patches continuously and then adding in 2 utrogestran tabs each evening from day 14 to day 28. My hair is not coming out as bad and I didn't have side effects this month except it makes you a little sleepy in the morning but wow did I sleep at night!!! 

I'll stay on this regime a while and assess how it goes... fingers crossed! 🤞🏻

AJ xx

• Posted

Ps I was on the Femseven for 3 months before I gave up!! 

xx

• Posted

Ok sorry seeing how you wrote that now ....

How did you know it was the progesterone making you feel weird ? And not the estrogen?

I’m so uneducated but trying now to become more knowledgeable ..... 

I’m going to screenshot what you wrote and ask my dr ... if that would work for me ? 

I’m so desperate to just feel happy again . 

• Posted

Hey, 

So i knew it was possibly the progesterone as I always felt that bit worse when I started the dual patches in the last two weeks of my cycle... it then kind of built up so that I felt worse and worse each month... my doctor said that quite a few people find the progesterone in Evorel an issue (not all obviously) and so recommended I try another brand... hence I then started on the Femseven.

Now I am back on the Evorel oestrogen only patches (adding in the utrogestran tabs for the last 14 days) I have not had the same side effects so I'm positive it was defo the progesterone causing my issues in the first instance... of course I have only used this regime for one month... I'm hoping it is ok though! The utrogestran did make me sleepy at night and kind of sleepy first thing but I'm hoping my body adjusts... we'll see as I'll give this regime a few more months! 

AJ. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.