can I eventually get off blood pressure meds

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was just prescribed lisinopril today for my high blood pressure. For the last few months its has been consistently high, where as before it was always normal. It would range from 135-165. There have been a few life changes in the past 6 months, as well as a lot of new stress. I ruptured a disc about 6 months ago which gradually got worse to the point where i couldn't hardly walk for 2-3 months. Then after that healed I was laid off from work. I stopped working out completely at the beginning of the rupture as well. I noticed my blood pressure started becoming high around the time I could hardly walk which was about 3 months ago.

My diet has never been the best and I am a smoker. But after all of this I am going to start watching what I eat and start exercising and try to quit smoking. I'm only 35 years old which makes me think I'm too young to be dealing with this.

My question is, if I'm able to start exercising regularly and get my diet in check, and quit smoking, will I potentially be able to get off the medicine? Also will I be able to tell if my body doesn't need it any more if those changes help or will I just need to get off to know?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Just the pain alone is enough to raise your BP, and if the pain is resolved, the BP can resolve too. Yes, some people are able to clean up diet, get some exercise, lose some weight, and get off the BP meds, for a few years, or longer. But BP issues tend to increase with age so even if successful now, in another ten or twenty years, could happen again.

If your BP with the meds gets down to really good levels then you can easily cut back on the meds and see if the BP stays good, it's not generally rocket science. Some classes of BP meds are easier to get off than others, the -pril's generally can be cut back and ended with minimal fuss. Yes, it can be done. Hope that helps!

Of course, best to discuss this with the doctors first, but most doctors should be very happy if you're in good shape with good BP readings and should easily give the go-ahead.

• Posted

Improving your diet and fitness and quitting the cigs can only bring you benefits regardless of any effect on the need for medication.

• Edited

HI

THERE ARE THINGS YOU CAN TRY TO SEE IF YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE COMES DOWN . SOME TIME AGO I HAD VERY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND WENT ON DIURETICS TO BRING IT DOWN . THIS WORKED AND I WAS ON FOR 10 years then I LOST WEIGHT AND STARTED TO DO OTHER THINGS AND AT MY DRS AGREEMENT BECAUSE IT WAS GETTING A BIT LOW, I CAME OFF . I WAS ABLE TO BE off all MEDS FOR a few years but then stress and gaining weight brought it high again. so I THINK IT IS WORTH TRYING ALTERNATIVE THINGS AND STOP SMOKING ETC.

i would perhaps try them while still taking the meds but you need to decide FOR YOURSELF THE BEST WAY FORWARD.

HIBISCUS TEA HAS a lot of good results for some people , one that is pure hibiscus not mixed. THERE ARE LOTS OF DIFFERENT HERBS AND SUPPLEMENTS you might find one that works for you . Take your own BP SO YOU CAN MONITOR IN CASE IS HIGH .

good luck

• Edited

yes you can .

im a 43 y/o male. my doctor decided i can stop bp meds when my bp got too low while on meds (90/70).

my bp spikes (190/100) were a result of years of stress ( night shift and lack of sleep/ rest).

i had to endure a slow and painful recovery ( you can read my old posts).

my doctor gave me these instructions: monitor my bp and have a 75 mcg catapres (clonidine) ready( they're very tiny and you can keep one in your wallet) for any bp spikes. this also means you should only take one if you are 100% sure that your bp is high , this is by checking it with your bp machine , guessing is not allowed. taking clonidine with a low bp can lead to serious consequences.

i also started eating beets everyday ( be sure to drink plenty of water to flush excess oxalic acid through urination). i thank the Lord Jesus and It now averages 110/70. hope it goes well for you too.

• Posted

Hi chris26350, may I ask how long did it took you to get you out of med?

• Posted

took about 3 months of gradual reduction of dosage , i won't leave this detail out : it was very difficult but i thank God i was able to do it and believe me i have never been happier ( i was given metoprolol followed by carvedilol) i got the courage to get off it when the side effects were too great to bear ( i get very tired with very minimal activity, was like i'm out of breath doing simple tasks , started having sleep issues which led and compounded anxiety and high bp and to top it all off very serious impotence issues. this forum helped too. i agree with all of people above, losing weight , quitting cigs , avoiding stressful situations (getting angry), eating veggies rich in bp lowering nutrients and fish can help ( beets especially , they should be consumed with food rich in calcium so the oxalic acid can bind to calcium and be flushed out), good luck and

please monitor your bp and always have safeguards in place( fast acting emergency meds like a 75 mcg clonidine in your wallet ,with your doctors approval, this last one gave me some peace of mind knowing i can always take one but only when i need it), God bless us all.

• Posted

What was your low and average readings at the time before recovery? What were the difficulties you faced? Were you physically active at the time before you discover the spikes? Other than eating well, do you need to take any vitamins etc?

• Posted

I started having high bp when I hit age 30 , average reading was 140/80, lowest reading 120ish to 150ish. I had little exercise and I work night shifts and ate unhealthy ( I was overweight by 8 kilograms , not much but my body could not handle the extra weight ) I had some trips to the cardiologist's office (bp reading 150/80) and he gave me a stern warning on eating healthy (vegetables and fish, no cigarettes and minimize alcohol). I honestly cared little except at times when I would get heart palpitations along with the high bp. Doc said I was still young and I won't have to go under medication if I'll follow his lifestyle change recommendation.

I cared little because I guess my tubes were holding up pretty well back then and I forgot about the lifestyle change suggestion from my doctor. This all changed when I hit 42, my bp hit 190/100 and I had to get some lab work done in the hospital. Test results came out good so my doctor and I agreed it was all due to stress (lack of quality rest, exercise and unhealthy diet). I was given losartan plus metroprolol .

It was hell, I was bedridden for 6 months because each time i try to get up and move, my bp would shoot up to 180/90. I had very little hope of recovering but I thank the Lord Jesus , He kept me going.

Circumstances finally forced me to quit my night job and I did all what the doctor recommended.

The most difficult part about quitting medication is fighting the urge to take it whilst gradually reducing the dosage, probably because of the general feeling of being unwell either due to withdrawal symptoms or side effects.

By the grace of God ,quality night sleep, exercise , healthy diet , beets - worked wonders).

I strongly recommend commencing the reduction of your dosage only after you have been satisfactorily doing your lifestyle change and that should give you some assurance that your bp will not go haywire. Good luck and God bless us all.

• Posted

P.S. I don't recommend vitamins, at one time I took vitamin B12 (for energy) and it gave me palpitations. CoQ10 had very little to none side effects and it boosted my energy levels but it might work differently for you.

natural healthy food is the best source of vitamins and nutrients (all in moderation of course). Peanuts , nuts veggies, lemons, beets, pineapples.

• Posted

Your response give me a bit of hope.

Similar to you, I work 70hrs/wk and slept between 5-7hrs a night for about 3 years. I was slightly overweight, used to walk frequently to/from public transport that would fulfil the 2.5 hr physical activity/week recommendation. But I wasn't physically active since March 2020 due to covid lockdown. Then last August 2020, I found out I had HBP with reading spiked at around 210/110. Rest was about 175/98. I suspect work stress, poor sleep routine and physically inactive are contributing factors.

I went through a few checks with my cardiologist, and they all seem fine. I had since become significantly more physically active and loose about 8kg. But after 7 months since the first diagnosis, the best I can get down to was 3mg Atacand. I tried reducing it to 2mg and it shot back up to 140/90 at rest.

With supplements, I tried grape seed extract, coq10, natto and pine bark extract. I also take raw garlic with water, tumeric, nuts and occasionally beet + celery. I don't know if they helped.

Recently I find my BP gone crazy after certain meals (see my other thread) that require me to increase my pill up to 14mg to contain it. Makes me really worried if there are other causes.

Do you mind me asking what was your BP like when you were bed ridden? What's the timeline and reading like after you quit your job on your recovery journey? Did you have to stay out of work after you quit your job in order to recover? Does your current average remain at 110/70 if you have resumed working?

• Posted

Hey chris26350, are you still around? I really like to learn what your day to day tasks / schedule is like in the days after you quit your job to get you off med, and whether you can remain off med at 110/70 after you resumed working. Thanks!

• Posted

Hey kennyboi, sorry for the late reply.

I was basically forced to quit my job , been working 13 years for the company and it was already 5 months since i started having high bp events and not being able to report for work, company has been repeatedly asking me when will I return to work, they had doubts whether my high bp merits the long absence, I was very distraught by that, but I proved them wrong (in thinking I was playing sick) the day they required me to personally sign (despite this electronic signature age) my forced resignation papers (I was given separation/severance pay).

I had to literally use all remaining will power to drive 15 miles to the office, when I got there , my buddy whose an HR coordinator, gave me the papers to sign but I couldn't even write my name due to the high bp symptoms (felt like my head and chest were in a vise, shaky very weak hands and legs, like my arms and legs had weights in them). I told him that I didn't feel well way before I started driving, he had me checked by our resident doctor and she immediately asked that I be transported to the nearest hospital as my bp was around 190/110 and that is the protocol (this is after I told her that I have already taken my bp meds). I had this event documented and reported to HR to hasten the processing of my severance pay.

I continued taking my bp meds for about 6 months but the side effects were unbearable, fatigue set in very quickly , anxiety and insomnia, breathing issues, all of which I never had before taking the meds made me rethink if I want to continue with the meds.

With my doctor's guidance I started quitting meds, he had me lower my clonidine dosage by half (he checked any my bp was in the 105-110 range systolic, he also had me quit carvedilol cold turkey but I decided to do it gradually due to the rebound effects of stopping beta blockers.

I asked my doctor if I can quit meds if my bp stays in the 100-120 systolic range (diastolic 70-80), and he said absolutely. He did tell me to keep the clonidine (fast acting bp lowering med) in my wallet for emergencies). Please ask your doctor too.

I quit eating fatty food (i cheat very rarely during family gatherings), lowered salt intake, ate lots of fish and veggies , quit alcohol, quit sleeping late.

During this stage I opted to walk within the walls of my 300 square meter property (cleared it so I won't trip), slow walks , total of 5 rounds. I only do this when I don't have palpitations and ONLY if I had a good night's sleep.

I progressed to brisk walks and finally back to my stationary bike with a bp machine hook up to my upper arm when I want to really push myself.

He also said that it is normal for bp to increase during exercise, stress, excitement so don't get too worked up by that and that the proper way to monitor your bp is to take it when you wake up in the morning after emptying your bladder, or if you want a reading during anytime of the day, take it after resting for at least 15 minutes or more.

Good luck and God bless us all.

• Posted

Hi chris26350,

Looking at your post, you mentioned your BP spiked at 190/100, what was the average and low reading at the time?

You also mention if you get up from bed, it would shoot up to 180/90. What was the average BP when you lie down at the time?

After you took losartan plus metroprolol for a month, what was your average BP reading?

Which BP pill did you start withdrawing at 5 months, and how high did your BP increase (if any) when you start reducing your med?

Did you end up going back to the workforce? If so, did your BP maintain at 110/70 without med?

Thanks!

• Posted

Hey chris26350, are you still around?

By the way, what was your average rest heart rate at the time when you BP spiked to 190/100? Thanks!

• Posted

Hey chris26350, are you still around?

By the way, what was your average rest heart rate at the time when you BP spiked to 190/100? Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.