can I eventually get off blood pressure meds

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was just prescribed lisinopril today for my high blood pressure. For the last few months its has been consistently high, where as before it was always normal. It would range from 135-165. There have been a few life changes in the past 6 months, as well as a lot of new stress. I ruptured a disc about 6 months ago which gradually got worse to the point where i couldn't hardly walk for 2-3 months. Then after that healed I was laid off from work. I stopped working out completely at the beginning of the rupture as well. I noticed my blood pressure started becoming high around the time I could hardly walk which was about 3 months ago.

My diet has never been the best and I am a smoker. But after all of this I am going to start watching what I eat and start exercising and try to quit smoking. I'm only 35 years old which makes me think I'm too young to be dealing with this.

My question is, if I'm able to start exercising regularly and get my diet in check, and quit smoking, will I potentially be able to get off the medicine? Also will I be able to tell if my body doesn't need it any more if those changes help or will I just need to get off to know?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I believe you can as long as you eat healthy and really invest in your health. Blood pressure changes based on heart and mind circumstances.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.