Can iron deficiency cause these?

Posted , 7 users are following.

over the past few months ive been having intense itching/tingling mainy on my arms and legs, ive been constantly tired (getting more than enough sleep yet feeling so sluggish and tired allll the time), been having random palpitations at rest and also have been experiencing eye floaters which im really starting to worry about

I had a blood test a few weeks ago and also a blood glucose test and everything was normal except my vitamin D, which im now taking supplements for.

My ferritin level was 11 but my GP didnt flag it up, however after some research ive started to supplement myself in hopes that i notice a difference. 

Im 21 years old and everything on eye floaters which ive found on the internet tend to happen to people over the age of 40/50.

I did have an eye test recently too and my eye doctor didnt say anything was wrong, does anyone know what possibly could cause this?

thank you!!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've only had this with Vitamin B12 deficiency. The normal level at my GP practice was 180, which I was just above... But for me that was 2 low. Eventually they gave me a trial run of 6 injections of B12 which massively helped! It's useful to note that although in the UK the "norma" of range set for B12 is anything above 180..min the rest of Europe it's anything above 500! Might be worth buying some sublingual B12 which is what I take daily now, or asking what your actual score was from the doctor, and if it's close... Insist on a clinical trial of B12 injections. Failing that, Marmite and Nutritional Yeast with B12 fortified are good options. Good luck x

• Posted

initially i thought i was low on b12 but my blood test came back with it being around 420 so it was really surprising. Thank you for the advice xx 
  • Posted

Hi,

my ferritin was 16 and my doctor immediately put me on 3 x 210mg of ferrous sulphate daily. It initially fell to 9 but crept up and has just got to 51. I would have thought you need some sort of supplement. What level is your vitamin D as mine was also low at 20 so I was put on a high dose of 20000 units of fultium d for 15 days and I am currently taking 800 units daily before having it retested in 6 weeks.

• Posted

the doctor didnt even call me in for an appointment after the blood test results, all i got was a text message (not even a call) from the gp saying to collect my prescription for vitamin D. At the same time i had to request for my blood test results on paper and investigated it all myself haha. I currently have 50000units once a week in an oral solution for 6 weeks, my level was 14 for vit D so really low. 

have you noticed any difference with taking iron and vit D?

• Posted

Hi, I've only been taking vitamin d for 4 weeks and unfortunately have had a chest infection for 2 of these so not noticed any difference yet. With regards to the iron the main difference ive noticed is my hair falls out less. I have been told that although it's 51 it's still only just within the 'normal' range really. 

• Posted

Hi nicola,

My ferritin was a 10 and my Dr. has yet to call & it was 4 weeks ago.  I called her office to only be told the Dr. had not looked over my lab results yet.. I am sluggish with zero energy.  Her being efficient and professional is a ZERO.  ; (      Don't these Dr's take an oath or something (this is just ridiculous and sad)-

I know my Vit D is low being a 24.   I started taking 4,000 Vit D daily, with an Iron supplement first thing in the morning, and B12 vitamins as well.. but by the 5th day I was getting an allergic reaction all over my face as if I have too much of something in my system (so this has caused me to stop and see if I can figure out if its the IRON or VIt D?.. Totally frustrated... while I wait for this incompetent Dr to look over my lab work-

• Posted

If you are in the UK why not ask for a telephone appointment. You could then ask them to look over your results then. 
    • Posted

Hi Jenny,

unfortunately I am NOT in the UK.. I received my lab results in an email by request (because my Dr had not called back after 2 weeks) now almost a month later I am still waiting for her to make time..  I had to twist her arm to test for Ferritin as she didn't see the need to and thought it to be a waste of time (good thing I did because my levels are VERY low) I have been doing research as to Low Ferritin being a possible cause of 'loss of hair' even in some cases 'alopecia'.. I just don't know the quickest way to get myself back on track while I wait for the office to see me again-

My face and cheeks have a flushed, rash for the past two days and I read that sometimes a reaction to IRON may cause this... so I am frustrated since I stopped all supplements while I try to clear my face..

• Posted

If you are taking a high dose i suspect your face might be from b12. I had the same thing. Once I stopped b12 it went away fairly quickly. Hope you doctor gets in touch soon. 
    • Posted

Yes, I did try to double my b12 for two days, but it seems as if it is taking a long time to calm or clear to clear.  (my face is to still irritated) this is my 2nd day without any supllements and my 2nd day for using benydryl.. I thought b12, like vit c was water soluble and any excess that our body didn't need would pass through in our urine?

• Posted

Thats what they claim about b12 however I was supplementing before I had a blood test which revealed that I am way over the range. This goes up if I supplement. Drink lots of water. 
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny.   If I drink any more water I will turn into an OCEAN myself!  lol! It seems as if some reports say some B12 can stay in your liver forever.  Some reports say B12 has no limit for safe consumption for RDA. I read that b12 is not toxic but you can have an allergic reaction i.e.. hives, acne, or rosacea..

Just wondering how long it will take to clear my body? I've already had 2 days of flushing with lemon water.

at the end of the day I'm not sure if its the IRON or the B12, but I do know waiting on this Doctor to play nice  SUCKS!... Thanks for taking the time to respond.  ; -)

• Posted

Good Afternoon,

I too have been feeling VERY sluggish, and exhausted... my blood test revealed my Vit D was low 24.0  instead of a normal range {30.0 -100.0} My Ferritin was very low as well only 10 instead of a normal range {15-150}  ; -(

Still waiting for a Dr. Visit for her to suggest a solution... Did your Dr start you on Vit D supplements???

• Posted

Hey! Why don't you try calling the doctor and arranging an appointment rather than waiting for them to call you back, it might speed up the process. Also you can buy ferrous fumerate/glutamate/sulphate tablets from the pharmacy for iron deficiency if you cannot wait, that's what I have started to do since my GP didn't prescribe me anything for..

I'm now on my second week of 50000IU of vitamin D

• Posted

Thanks Mimi, You would think my Dr would at least call the prescription in for Vit D as well, but it seems this Dr is trying to nsur another pymnt for a visit jus' to hand me a prescription-

I will try to find the ferrous tablets you mentioned in a nearby pharmacy.. I think I will start back on my Vit D in a day or two and just leav the B12 alone for now..

I wonder why your Dr did not address your ferritin level since it was so low??

• Posted

Thanks for your advc. I called my Dr. was gvn an apt today. She confirmed anemic and prescribed 50,000 Vitamin D once a week for a month. She told me to get a Hair, Skin, Nail supplement.. She did not address my low Ferritin as of yet she wants to do a B12 and Folate test. In the meantime I've decided to better my diet, so I purchased Beef liver, albacore tunafish, raisins, and fresh spinach for brkfast smoothies. Im so lookn forward to getting my energy back! Wishing good health to you as well! ; -)

• Posted

Vit D level should be at least 75 nnmols.

​B12 should be over 750. 

• Posted

My Vit D level was only 24

She ordered a test for my B12 today (I hav a feeln its gonna be low as well)

But Thanks!

My nails, hair, energy level hav takn a beaten these past few months.. [sigh!!]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.