Can mononucleosis mess with my period?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! I'm 18 and female, not sexually active. I was diagnosed with mono mid-July and this is the second period I've had while having mono. The first one was normal (but it made me feel awful since the pains and tiredness from that overlapped with my mono symptoms and made them worse), but this one doesn't seem normal. Usually when I start my period late one evening, it'll be pretty heavy the next day, but today is my first full day of it and there's barely anything. Is it possible for mono to be affecting it or am I just worrying too much?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

yes I think it does affect your cycle, atleast it did for me. Same thing happened to me, where it was a lot less than it usually would be plus it screwed up the length of my cycle as well. It really freaked me out at first but as I am getting better it is beginning to normalize itself again. Hope that resssures you smile 

• Posted

Thank you so much, it was really worrying me! Did your cycle make your mono fatigue worse too? I had gotten a pretty good bit of my energy back, but when I started, my fatigue came back just as bad as it was when I was first diagnosed.
    • Posted

Yes it absolutely does make my fatigue worse, in fact I didn’t even notice that I was so fatigued until I got my period one month and afterwards I felt so weak! And after that I did notice my energy would drop a bit during that time even If I managed to recover some energy in the previous weeks. 
  • Posted

Hi Ciela,

So sorry to hear that you've been unwell with mono and having these issues at the moment. I can't really comment much about women's issues but I do know this virus can affect you in so many ways, and Dominika offers some wise words and hope some women who have been through the same can. 

Just want to reassure you that this virus DOES get better with time - remember get plenty of rest, take vitamins and herbs which help (if you want any advice on ones that have helped me let me know) and give yourself time and space to recover - even if it takes a little time for recovery to come, which it can for some people with this, please know that it DOES get better and you will get through this. Thinking about you and hoping these issues settle down soon and you feel much more settled soon. 

Craig

• Posted

Hello, thank you so much for the reply! If you wouldn't mind, I would really like to know what herbs help best.

• Posted

Hey Ciela,

Some of the supplements which helped me included a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra which is on sale here in the UK), a B complex vitamin and/or Co-enzyme Q10 (great for nervous system and energy levels), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), and immune boosting herbs like oregano, siberian ginseng and echinicea have all really helped me. Also for a week or so taking a 1/2 teaspoon full of baking soda in some plain water, stirring it well and drinking that twice a day on an empty stomach they say is good for fighting viruses. But I think it's best only to do it for a short time like a week or two at a time or something. A natural therapy called Bowen Therapy has also been very good for me. 

Of course remember I'm no doctor or medical expert or anything like that, just going on my own experience and looking up stuff - make sure you check what's in any supplements you take and don't take too much of anything or take anything that might disagree with you. 

Really hoping you feel much better soon and remember you WILL get through this and be well again, thanks to God I truly believe that. 

Craig

• Posted

Thank you so much for all the help and taking the time to respond, Craig! I'll definitely have to look into these and talk to my doctor again. If you don't mind me asking, I have a question about a few more symptoms. Did you ever have or know of anyone having body tremors (especially hands and knees) or dry eyes with mono? I can never tell if these symptoms are from mono, anxiety, or something worse. I've been worried about having MS since before I was diagnosed with mono and now that I have the tremors, it's made me worry again. I have a history with anxiety anyways and I've been shaky when I'm worried before, but it's never happened before when I'm not anxious at the time. Could it be from overusing muscles while I'm sick?

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

Thinking back I do remember having tremors and shaky kind of hands and twitching in my eye with this virus. I do think these symptoms can occur and really hoping and praying they settle down soon. It is so awful and horrible when you feel worried about a particular health issue, please know that tremors and things can happen with viruses and it doesn't necessarily mean anything more than it just being a symptom of the mono. Of course it is definitely worth going to see the doctor and talking about your concerns, and really hoping they can reassure you and put your mind at ease. 

I distinctly remember feeling when I had the virus that something else must be wrong because the symptoms were so severe and ongoing and my recovery wasn't as smooth or quick as the doctor seemed to dismiss it would be - but please be assured that this can be normal with mono, it is often so intense physically and emotionally that it can try to trick you into thinking something else is going on when it IS actually just that this virus is so awful and debilitating. I know that doesn't help much when having to go through it and deal with it every day, but I definitely want you to be encouraged and know that this DOES get better with time and even if it takes a little while for full recovery - it DOES come and I truly believe that God is going to bring healing in your life and circumstances. 

Thinking about you and hoping the doc can offer some good advice and support and reassurance, and remember things ARE going to get better for you - trusting God with that, He is the great healer!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you so very much Craig. It assures me to know that it's probably just the mono causing all of these odd things to happen. I'm really glad I found this forum, the doctors never mentioned all of these other symptoms it could cause and reading through these posts and seeing all of the great advice and that I'm not alone has helped quell my anxiety about many of them. Thank you again!

• Posted

Oh you're so welcome Ciela, it frustrates me that so many doctors dismiss this virus and often try to treat it like a flu type thing that is relatively easy to get over. 

Without doubt I believe you are going to get better Ciela, really hoping and praying for a breakthrough for you, just hang in there and remember that even if it takes a little bit of time for full recovery, that full recovery will come! Trusting God with that for sure, hang in there and hoping for a good and settled week for you.

Craig

• Posted

I also have one more question I forgot to add in the earlier reply. Did the heat make you feel weaker?
    • Posted

Hi Ciela,

I do remember there being some particularly hot and warm days in the summer when I was unwell with mono. I felt that it made me sweat more and seemed to increase the effect and intensity of the low grade running fever which bothered me throughout as a result. So I do want to reassure you that these kind of things can be normal. it is natural that your body would be affected by heat when already feeling so unwell with this. Really hoping that you can be feeling much better, even just trying things like fans and drinking lots of water when the heat is bad can make such a difference - simple things they sound I know, but very important to keep yourself hydrated with this thing. 

Thinking about you and still believing that you are going to get through this and get better - hang in there and message any time!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Ciela. I would say yes the heat has effected me alot more than normal. Living here on the west coast of Australia, our summer here last year (when I first fell ill and had the worst of the symptoms) we hit max temps of 48 deg C for a few weeks on end. The heat makes everything feel alot worse than when you are sitting in the AC. I found relief in making my own ice poles. If you squeeze a lemon and an orange, then dilute to taste and freeze in plastic cups with a wooden stick. Also I would make a berry, ice, coconut oil, chia seed, coconut milk and protein powder shake in the morning, then drink it slowly. Those two things helped me alot to get through the heat of the day, as there is no AC at my work hahahaha. There are plenty of other shake combinations on the net if the idea takes your interest, just keep the sugar low and add protein. As Craig said, its completely normal for extreme temps to knock you around whilst you are recovering from this nasty virus. Wishing you well and thinking of you daily. 
    • Posted

Wow Sweebee those temperatures sound unbearable! I hope that it is not so hot as that right now and the climate can be a good one to help with recovery. Thinking about you too, feeling a little lost myself right now sorry for short message today.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig. Sorry to hear you are feeling abit lost. Just want to let you know that I think of you every day and wish you well. Thankful winter has just finished here which I think was much needed in my recovery, heading into spring it already looks like it will be another hot summer. We still have till around November/December till it starts to heat up, February being the hottest time. Hoping that this summer I will be able to deal with this horrible fatigue abit better. Aircon is a mono sufferers best friend. 
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your kind and supportive words Sweebee, you are wonderful and I'm very grateful!! I am thinking about you too and believing that the spring and summer ahead is going to be a time of hope and recover for you - hang in there!

We're at the opposite spectrum here in the UK, getting to that time of year again when winter looms and I find the winter so hard to get through. I'm very much like you I love the spring and the summer and the light nights and brighter and warmer weather. Hoping this summer can be much better Sweebee and you can get to do some of the things you maybe weren't able to do last summer. Thinking about you still and thanks for thinking about me, means a lot!!

I have never been to Australia, it would be an amazing place to visit one day. I have a good friend who moved out to Perth a few years ago, it would be great one day to visit him!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig. Yes Australia is a nice place to live but very hot in summer and alot of snakes hahaha. I live about 5hrs away from Perth and used to go there several times a year to see friends. We have some really nice beaches here...hopefully this summer I can go an sit there again. 
    • Posted

Oh yes it sounds lovely Sweebee although I don't like the sounds of the snakes haha!! I'm just wondering if you perhaps live somewhere near where my friend used to, when he first moved to Australia he was in Kalgoorlie which I think was about 6 hours or something from Perth, quite isolated in the outback. 

Hoping very much you can get there to the beaches again Sweebee, believing that you will be able to! Still thinking about you and rooting for you!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig. Kalgoorlie is a very hot place to live for sure. I live on the coast and not inland. Google Geraldton, its near where I live. Hoping you are doing ok today. 
    • Posted

Ah good Sweebee it is nice to live on the coast, I will have a look. I live near Glasgow, Scotland's biggest city. Although inland, thankfully the UK is a relatively small island unlike Australia so can generally reach the coast within an hour. Hoping you are doing okay today too Sweebee, have had quite an unsettled few days just with everything going on in my life right now, feeling a bit empty and at a crossroads, just don't know how to cross though and where to cross to - praying God helps us with all these things! Thinking about you and remember things are going to get better for you and the next year is one of freedom and recovery!! I believe that I truly do. 

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.