Can other people tell me what a flare up feels like to them ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all,

I must say that this forum has helped me and when I'm not feeling great I often spend hours reading the posts and I find them comforting. Here is my question. Is there a difference between a flare up or just discomfort? I was diagnosed in Febreuary, after about 6 weeks I started to fill somewhat better but often have major discomfort. This week I am achy. Went to only liquids today, see if I can handle food tomorrow. Are both of these flare ups? Are some flare ups worse than others? It's crazy realizing I must constantly live with this mess. 

Thanks so much

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kaystay

When I have a flare up I have a weird pain way down low on my left side right near my leg. It is a kind of pain I have never experienced in my body before so I know right away what it is. I also get cramping above my pubic bone kind of like mild period cramps. I get nausous and totally lose my appitite and I know for sure to do liquids for 48 hours and if its not better to get to my doctor.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks j09263, 

It's so confusing because the symptoms often vary from person to person. I often get a left and/or right side pain or discomfort which like to think tells me to take it easy, rest my gut, and go for liquids. But honestly, I still do not know what I am doing, I've read a few books, read a lot of posts on here and hope I will figure what works for me, Thanks a bunch!

• Posted

Kaystay , my flare ups start with twinges first then a couple days later I get cramping ALL over my stomach and then it does NOT stop then two days later I have the mucous/bloody discharge. NOW my very very very first attack when they diagnosed me with ct scan and dye my only symptoms then was SERVER PAIN right below navel in the middle it woke me up from sleep and it did NOT stop the entire night when morning finally came I went to potty and had bloody discharge  pain was still deep and hard and like steady hard labor pains. Went  to doctor my white blood cell count was high and fever! And ct scan confirmed diverticulosis  :-(  
  • Posted

I am as confused as you are my friend. I’ve been eating the same thing for over two weeks. I am so scared to feel sick again. And I feel pain come and go. 
    • Posted

Thanks Dan, 

Right there with you. I've been soooo good lately, seriously. And here I am suffering from another flare up. And I can not get over all of the foods and drinks I miss, nachos and beer make me so sad. Hang in there and thanks for the reply. 

• Posted

I'm begin to wonder IF FOOD has anything to do with it. 

• Posted

Hi Kaystay,

A flare up is clearly an indication of an infection. Chills, weakness, fever - true intense pain in the left lower abdomen which can radiate into more then just the left side.  You will feel really sick and should go to the doctor. The last thing you want to have happen is that something bursts and leaks. That can get really dangerous. So don’t wait too long to get seen by a physician. 

Blessings 

• Posted

Important questions: Can you have the mucous bloody discharge without  the Chills, weakness, fever - true intense pain in the left lower abdomen which can radiate into more then just the left side, and it not be an infection? Does anyone else have this without a flare the bowel deal. Does anyone have the ruins without a flare here and there? 
  • Posted

Definitely some are worse than others. For minor flare ups usually a day or two using a heating pad, staying on liquids should make you feel better but watch fiber and hard to digest foods .  After liquid I then go to soft foods for a week or so.

If you don’t feel better in a few days then see your doctor I then find I need an antibiotic.

Read read read!  everyone on this forum has been in your situation.  It really helps.  It’s a nasty and depressing disease but after figuring out your specific triggers you’ll learn to live with it.  I find a build up if seeds, nuts, skins and meats trigger mine.  I use a crockpot a lot and ground meat for sure.  If you eat steak it must be the best cut as in a filet.  You can do this!😘

• Posted

I was admitted to hospital in March with Accute Diverticulitis. I know I now have to manage Diverticular Disease and avoid nuts seeds etc..I am only just learning about it and I get days where my tummy feels full and bloated and I'm not very hungry. Is this a normal symptom and if it is what would you do. Thanks for any help because as I say it's new to me.

• Posted

Kaystay so not all fares with cramps need antibiotics? I thought we had to take them each and every time. Have you ever had a painful flare and did the heated and liquids clear it up and you didn't have to take antibiotics? I'm a little confused sorry. 

• Posted

Hi crosado8,

I am still figuring this out but for me I do not go on antibiotics when I have a flare up. If I can "gut rest" a day or two and slowly eat again I think I am good. When I needed antibiotics before for this, the pain was intolerable, so for me that is how I decipher. But again I am still trying to figure it out. 

• Posted

Thanks Kaystay for sharing this.  You were diagnosed how (what test) with your diverticulitis like for the very first time. I'm just wondering, all of my flares have not been like my first attack with the severe deep labor pains. The last close flares have been with cramps top and bottom of stomach and the online doctors give me the antibiotics  each time. 

Important Question Group: With flares would they be the same symptoms as YOUR first attacked that needed antibotics?

• Posted

Hi, 

I was diagnosed in February of this year from a CT scan. And great question, my flares (thus far) are nothing like the episode that got me diagnosed and landed me in the hospital but if it ever gets sever enough I would contact my Doctor asap. I am just trying to figure out how to manage this disease and still live a somewhat normal life. And do bowel discomfort and cramps just go with the territory.

• Posted

And do bowel discomfort and cramps just go with the territory. YES for me it does plus I also get constipated I'm in menopause 61 my last ladies times was 59 years old so late with the female mess. Right now I'm SO SO SO depressed with this diverticulosis disease I got to figure OUT how NOT to have such close attacks! ANYONE on here diagnosed with diverticulitis lived with this mess more than 10 years?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.