Can physio fix this or must I have an operation: ‘spine pressing on a nerve root S1 giving me back

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please advise - has your back pain due to the spine pressing on a root nerve gone in time or with physio’s help, or did you need an operation to be pain free?

My lower back pain comes at night when I’ve been sleeping on my back for a while. It goes away when I revert to sleep on my side(s). I have no pain while walking or sitting at my desk in the office or at home.

I am worried that my neurosurgeon Consultant will recommend a back operation to get rid of the pain, which incidentally is more than bearable.

I would appreciate hearing about your own experiences and views. Thank you, Jeremy

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Jeremy,

If your'e in the UK, getting spinal surgery is almost impossible, unless it's the direst of circumstances.

Why do you think it's nerve root pressure? Have you had diagnostic scans?

Most consultants I have seen would just tell me to sleep on my side, if it only comes on when lying on your back.

Usually nerve root pressure is worse when sitting or standing. If Iwere you I would book a few physio appointments and see what they say.

• Posted

Hi Laura

Thanks for your insight. Incidentally it was 

my MRI scan for prostate (all ok there) that showed the nerve root pressure.

I will book those physio appointments now! Cheers, Jeremy

• Posted

I certainly would not be considering surgery unless it was having a massive impact on your daily life and you have tried every other option available, spinal surgery can cause a whole load of other problems including chronic pain, look into chiropractic treatment😊

• Posted

Thank you Caroline, I agree. As a start  I am seeing the physio tomorrow 
  • Posted

Good luck, physios can be better than doctors at times.
  • Posted

Hi Jeremy, if I was you I wouldn’t even consider spine surgery as your back doesn’t seem to be giving you too many problems.

I have had 2 spine surgeries, the last one November last year, and I’m in more pain now than I was before the surgeries. 

Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda

Thank you for your advice. I am sorry you still are in pain. What’s your next step?

As I write I am in physio’s waiting room, definitely will resist Surgery.

Best wishes

Jeremy

• Posted

Jeremy,

Ive paid for quite a few physio sessions as NHS physio is useless.

I have an appointment next month for a Pain Clinic so see what they will advise. I only know I’m not even going to try a stimulator as read too many bad reports on them.

Linda x

• Posted

I know what you mean. Good luck with the Pain Clinic
    • Posted

Hi Linda, went to pain clinic last week, and going for spinal injections on Thursday.

Like you, two back ops, now have failed back surgery syndrome.

In other words they don't know what to do with me!

• Posted

i know how you feel Laura, please let me know how you get on on Thursday. I can go to the pain clinic armed with all the information I’ve picked up on here 🤞

• Posted

I've been going on and off for years, different Dr. Had injections before, not helped a lot, these are different ones. Yes will update you after Thursday.

• Posted

Hi Laura, Linda 

Laura, fingers crossed for Thursday, please let us know how you get on.

As regards my physio - I had some encouraging news. She, like you, encouraged me not to consider surgery. She said I was a bit stiff in the back. Gave me a good massage after which I felt much better. Gave me two exercises that she wants me to do twice daily before I see her again next week.

But the best news was that she seemed certain that the exercises will reverse my (bearable) pain. 

I have my fingers crossed for you both. All the Best, Jeremy

• Posted

Great news Jeremy, keep up with the exercises.

Linda x

• Posted

First day post physio exercises went well. The pain is certainly not worse, maybe a little better. As much as I would love to go swimming , unfortunately the pool is always like Piccadilly Circus 😌. Hundreds of people always. No chance of swimming a few lengths! But it’s very sociable😊

• Posted

Hi

Is your nerve causing you problems with pain. If not don't do anything. I agree with Linda. Surgery may not even take the pain away even if you were in pain. Physio in my opinion is the same. My best friend next door is a physio and she has given me physio off and on for my pain and I have again suffered more pain. Ipi have met 3 surgeons. 2 private...oh yes tgery could do surgery and I would walk out of the hospital without pain. The 3rd one from a teaching hospital told me that it was an extremely dangerous operation. Think about it. If you go private there is money at the end of the op for the surgeon. A national one doesn't get paid that way, and its s case of next one please.

I have s1 l4\5_ and l3\4. I think its a case of exactly where the damage is on the s1!!!!!

So you need an MRI to show where the nerve damage is.

Personally I am 73 and I started this game at least 10 years ago when I was told that I was putting the pain on and was given lots of strong painkillers. I had 2 ops where surgeons "tried their best" one was an experiment I know the other private for decompression on the levels above. I rather suspect that the upper level worked but s1 didn't. So I have had 3 yrs of medication whereby its not very strong in between having cortisone injections 3 times a year. Trouble is you have to space it out as you can only have 3 a year. I have tried physio but its useless especially bthe NHS. What has helped is yoga.

• Posted

Hi Enna,

Dont know if you are talking to me or Jeremy.

I agree with every word you say but I will add that I wish I had never had surgery. I was left taking so much strong painkillers but with my doctors help I have managed to wean myself off Tramadol and best of all I have finally finished with morphine only last week. Yes I’m in an awful lot of pain but I was determined I was going to get these out of my system to try and get back to the person I was before surgery! 

To anyone else reading this please, please think very carefully about surgery and these painkillers.

Best of luck to you all.

Linda x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.