Can physio fix this or must I have an operation: ‘spine pressing on a nerve root S1 giving me back

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please advise - has your back pain due to the spine pressing on a root nerve gone in time or with physio’s help, or did you need an operation to be pain free?

My lower back pain comes at night when I’ve been sleeping on my back for a while. It goes away when I revert to sleep on my side(s). I have no pain while walking or sitting at my desk in the office or at home.

I am worried that my neurosurgeon Consultant will recommend a back operation to get rid of the pain, which incidentally is more than bearable.

I would appreciate hearing about your own experiences and views. Thank you, Jeremy

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That's good news Jeremy. The best exercise I ever did was to go swimming, after surgery, it loosened me up and made things a lot more bearable.

An awful lot of back pain is because musces are tense, and back pain is scary so people tend not to do too much in case they make it worse, so it just gets weaker and is more prone to pain.

Movement is the key, uness there is a physical reason not to. Your physio probably did you a lot of good, nothing like a good massage to ease stiff backs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.