can prostatitis be cured with medication

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have experienced prostate problems for many years. I've tried all prescriptions but no effect so far.  can chronic prostatitis be cured by self-drainage or with medication?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Like you, I have dealt with prostatitis for many years, spoken to now 5 different urologists, my internist and many more men like us.

Following is a synopsis of my understanding of this issue and what I've tried:

There are two basic types, bacterial and non-bacterial. If you have bacterial and it is diagnosed properly by culture and an antibiotic for that bacteria used for sufficient time to kill all traces of the bacteria, then one would be 'cured' - until the next infection or you develop chronic non-bacterial prostatitis, which is what I and most men have (80%+ from what I have read).

Unfortunately, the causes for non-bacterial can be varied and difficult/impossible to determine. Diet, allergies, injury, exercise - pretty much anything that irritates the prostate or surrounding area and causes the inflammation. I don't know that this type can be completely 'cured', simply managed.

The two things so far that have helped me:

Finasteride - took it for 4 months before the side effects were worse than the prostatitis. BUT - the benefits (for the most part) remain. This drug removed the feeling that I was sitting on a golf ball.

Excluded as much caffeine from my diet as possible and stopped consuming alcohol. This helped reduce the frequency and urgency issues.

I still deal with low flow and delay in starting urination after sleeping or sitting for more than 1 hour (the longer I sit, the longer it takes to start). Nothing I have done/taken has helped this very much. The alpha blockers did help a little with the delay, but the side effects for me were worse than the symptom.

We are all different and what helps one may not help another, so I continue to research, modify my diet looking for other triggers and even tried several supplements (though I am a supplement skeptic - I've still tried several, without any success).

Good luck and if you (or anyone) has success with something, please pass it along.

• Posted

According to Larry Clapp, it can be done.  I remember reading something about that in his book.  "Curing Prostate Cancer in 90 Days"  I am not sure about the title of the book...it has been many years, since I've read it.  Good luck!

• Posted

I was just diagnosed with prostatitis about a month ago. I was referred to a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor issues, as it appears a lot of cases of chronic, non-bacterial prostatitis - the kind I had - aren't actually prostate issues but is due to referred pain from pelvic floor issues.

Physical therapist found my hips were misaligned (in fact, my right leg had several reduced rotation) and a few exercises helped fix that. I experienced two weeks of almost near relief from symptoms (burning in urethra and penis, tailbone/rectal pressure/pain, intermittent urination, frequent voiding).

Then last week, I went hiking and carried too much weight. Ended up messing up my back muscles, which pulled my hip back out of alignment (amazingly, my right leg lost 20 degrees in rotation in just a day, as I became misaligned again). Symptoms immediately returned, and I'm working on getting things back to where they were.

Each case is unique, but the near-instant link between muscular-skeletal issues and my symptoms have me convinced that many cases of prostatitis have nothing to do with bacteria and are simply muscular issues. 

So, maybe you could give physical therapy a try, with someone who specializes in male pelvic floor pain? It seems to be working for me, and I'm confident it'll help me recover completely, even if my hiking adventures have caused my recovery to take a bit longer.

• Posted

"Can prostatitis be cured with medication?"  If it's bacterial, then more often than not, it can be cured.  Your physician can determine the causative effect(s) on smear and staining.  If it's viral, the situation becomes trickier.  Right now, there is research being conducted into herpes simplex viral protein 16, as a culpabable link, but the research is inconclusive at this point.  I'm going to offer a bit of unconventional advice.  You may want to consider fasting, if you're overweight - especially if you're obese.  I, myself, entered the hospital recently for routine surgery.  I had fasted on water alone for a total of six consecutive days, after being discharged.  Simply wanted to rid my system of the analgesics, anesthetics, and antibiotics they had given me while in the hospital.  Have had prostatitis for ten years.  At the end of the fourth day of fasting, prostatitis symptoms completely resolved.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  What do you have to lose, besides a few unwanted pounds, and nagging prostatitis. Hope this helps.

• Posted

It can be cured but one needs to decrease sexual activities or stop it during the treatment. Your prostatitis cannot be cured because you keep having sex and ejaculation. Sexual activity irriates one's prostate and prostatitis most time occures after excessive sex and ejaculation. If you take antibotics such as Doxycycline or Karalex and Rapaflo and stop sex for three months, your prostatitis will likely be cured. 

• Posted

well my urologist and many post i ve seen sugest that you should have ejaculation when on antibiotics because that helps the prostate to drain fluids and to get the prostate more oxygenation and finally helps the antibiotics treatment. 

I think that many people that writes on the forums make their suggestions based on pure especulation and dont have a scientific research that supports them.

• Posted

That’s why many patients feel frustration at the prostatitis because they read that ejaculation can help drain fluids etc and therefore keep sex and ejaculation. Unfortunately many doctors believe it after they have no better choices. If one has no prostatitis, especially for a young man, he may need periodic ejaculation. After one has already had prostatitis, he should let his prostate rest. Sex and ejaculation can cause the prostate engorgement that will worsen the prostatitis. Do not believe it? Just stop the sex and ejaculation for a couple of months during the treatment and see whether you will feel better or not. 
  • Posted

i think that something important when answering any questions on the forums,is that we have to take in consideration,that we are all different in age,weigth,and all the biologial factors that make that what works for someone maybe wont work for someone else. But even if im not an urologist or medic i have read diferent people that have been cured of it by the antibiotics therapy, but the antibiotics should be backed up whit good an accurate cultures for the specific bacteria.
  • Posted

Hows everybody on this post doing? It's a hard thing to handle, this prostatitis. isn't it?

Steve

• Posted

I*'m going to fight this Disease and make the medical community Aware of the Need fo a Cure !!!

• Posted

Have you tried the direct injections? im thinking on it and will like to know if someone has any experience on this
    • Posted

no I haven't, but am thinking about it also, fight4thecure. How bad is your prostatitis? It's such a feeling of being alone, isn't it?  Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.