Can Sciatica be in both legs?! PLEASE help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone! Thank you for taking the time out to read this  [smile]  

about two weeks ago, I started feeling this random pain in my left butt cheek whenever I bent down, sat the wrong way, etc. it started to worry me so I decided to see a Chiropractor to see what was up. 

He basically said that my vertebrae was not aligned properly and it was causing some inflammation and that I also had a pulled nerve. He said we would try to realign my spine every visit (3 times a week) and see if it holds. He mentioned the term "sciatica" to me and I googled it when I got home. 

I was horrified at what I saw online -- I saw that some people have it for YEARS with no relief?! I'm worried that I won't feel better with this therapy. Surgery was an option on the sites but there are a lot of health risks. 

Also- this morning I got up from bed, and I guess I sat up weird and it caused pain in my RIGHT buttcheek now?!? What is happening. 

The pain isn't as severe as the left but it's in the same spot I'm pretty sure. does anyone on here have any advice for me?! I'm 21, I don't work out or anything and this happened suddenly. My sciatica must not be that bad because I can definitely walk still, sometimes I feel numbness down my left leg if I sit for too long but idk I'm just VERY worried and stressed.

i don't eat much anymore and I can't sleep. 

Thank you so much to anyone who responds. I really appreciate it.  

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Each glute houses what is known as "the sciatic knot"...a bundle of nerves that link your spine to your legs.  Sciatic pain in your butt and legs can originate in your lower back and hips (spine misalignment, locked SI joints, etc.) or can originate in the spinal column itself.  I've had both.

Some are fixes that can be done by a chiropractor with treatment over a few weeks; the other requires the skills of a neurosurgeon.  Case in point...

After a number of bouts with sciatica that were quickly resolved by chiropractic manipulation, one time the pain would not go away.  Pain shots, PT, chiro...nothing worked.  Got an MRI done that showed "something" at L4/L5 but was inconclusive.  Neurosurgeon went in and found a bone spur literally "crushing" (his word) my sciatic nerve root at L4/L5.  Simple laminectomy... shaved off the spur...cut back the calcified disk a bit...all to give the nerve a newly freed path without any impingement.  Same day surgery, instant pain relief, no rehab required. 

Sometimes getting cut is the only way to fix the problem.  If chiro doesn't help, see a neuroSURGEON (not a neurologist), do the imaging and get it fixed.

• Posted

Did you have sciatica in both legs because I'm having them and I'm just scared cuz it's really rare I don't want to get worse and I can't sit down for long without hurting and my X-ray showed my bones were together im just wondering if anyone out there having the same problem 

• Posted

My "sciatica" in BOTH legs was caused by bilateral foraminal stenosis...the narrowing of the foramin canals that the nerve roots pass through from the spinal cord to the rest of your body.  Usually, you get sciatica down one leg because of a pinched nerve on that side...both legs usually leads to a different diagnosis.  My chiropractor immediately told me to see the neurosurgeon.  That's where I was offered the LLIF as the best way of dealing with it.

• Posted

Thanks for replying I'm just going to have to keep going to the dr to figure out what's exactly going on

• Posted

I would suggest you see yr Gp and ask for a MRI to get a true and accurate picture of what is going on .
  • Posted

Oops...missed a point.  A major cause of sciatica (back, hips, glutes and down the back of BOTH legs) is frequently caused by foraminal stenosis...the narrowing of the foramina (small canals between vertebrae that allow the nerve root to exit the spinal column).  When those smaller holes impinge on the nerve roots bilaterally, then stenosis is the diagnosis...sends pain down both legs.  Then you walk hunched over to ease the pain and engage your quads to fire 24 x 7.  The pain in the front of your legs is caused by the overworking (fatigue) of the quadriceps so you have pain in the front AND back of both legs.

The solution is surgery, with the first problem being locating the vertebrae involved.  I'm having stenosis surgery on March 24, 2017 for just this problem on L2/L3.  Started in October...been dealing with the pain for over 5 months now.  Instead of fusion, they now have an EXPANDABLE spacer that they slide into the intervertebral space and then crank it open with an Allen wrench...kind of like an expandable jack to lift your car up.  It opens the space between the vertebrae and takes the pressure off the nerves.  Overnight stay, immediate pain relief, zero rehab.  Works in 80% of patients.

• Posted

Hi Chico and thanks for your multiple responses!

I don't have pain going down my legs. It's all in the buttocks area. It's kind of alternating but I don't usually feel pain in my legs which is why I'm not sure exactly what I have.

Most people can't walk with sciatica but I can even if it hurts just slightly.

I got a deep tissue massage yesterday and I'm not sure if it made it worse or better but I am seeing my chiropractor today in just about an hour so I'll see how that goes. But I'm starting to worry.

• Posted

Worrying serves no purpose.  Jedi mind trick.  Just find the root cause of the problem and get it fixed.
    • Posted

Did this spacer work for you? I have bliateral spondylolthesis and moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis with a bulging disc at L5 S1. nerve root injections did not help and this spacer is to be discussed at my next Dr appointment.

• Posted

Hi Maria

i have had this problem for years. Yes it can go to both legs mainly to the upper leg like your sitting on a bar or something hard.

Do you get foot or leg spasms this yet another signe. Walking now could stop I was ok but it diteriated fast. Standing with knees bent to walking in a C curve. My Consultant informed me if I had my operation done sooner I would have had a much better outcome. 

I have had this since 1990 first opp in 1998 second within 12 weeks three spinal blocks and now undergoing a series of nerve blocks.

Dont delay your young the surgery is not that bad. Risk very low. If I could go back I have had the op in 1995. 

Hope this helps also try Pilates to keep your back as strong as you can.

• Posted

Hi and thank you for your response!

I don't get leg or foot spasms, it mainly just feels like my left leg is asleep. It just feels very numb more than half of the time.

The pain seems to have moved back to its original spot but I don't really feel that anymore, it's just the numbness of my leg, like I mentioned before.

• Posted

How is your foot mine was freezing cold to touch even when the office heater was right next to it. This is another sign things are going down hill.

Are you on medication for pain control. Have you tried a tens machine now that helps. And only for a small cost from your chemist or on line.

• Posted

My foot is not cold to touch, which is why I'm not sure if I even have sciatica or not. What I do know is that he definitely said it's a pinched nerve, and my vertebrae was not aligned and that we would pop everything back in place every time I went to sessions.

It's not painful to walk and it's just certain movements I make that trigger a tiny pain in left buttock. But everything else seems okay I guess

-what's a tens machine?

• Posted

TENS stands for (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation).  Simple little device...$30 at Walmart and you can buy extra pads when the glue wears out on the original.  I found it very helpful many times.  Just have to experiment where to put it or ask your chiro for the best location.
    • Posted

I have one but only gives a little relief while wearing it. Instructions on mine 4 times per day 15 mins each time
    • Posted

Yr cold foot could. Be due to the circulation? Have ur Gp take a look

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.