Can shingles cause hallucinations?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello this is about my mum, she got shingles about 3 days ago and has all the symptoms in the leaflets etc. Since last night though she has been hallucinating, and very confused. She could hear a radio which wasn't there and has been arguing with people that aren't there. She's really confused, can't have a proper convosation as will start talking about totally different things and people from years ago iv called the drs and she has to go over later but I'm so worried untill then. Could it be the antiviral tablets? Xxx

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Although anything is possible, I would be more inclined to think that it was a reaction to the virus itself. My oldest Son suffers with virul reactions that are like the most severe allergy. There can be very odd reactions from them. It would be a good idea for her to be seen asap! If not by her Dr. Then in an urgent care facility. You want to rule out anything more dangerous like stroke. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Where are the shingles and how old is your mum? Does she have a fever? I am more inclined to worry about other issues if the shingles is near her eye or ear, or if she is immuno compromised due to cancer. In any case, she needs to be seen by a good physician. Now! to evaluate her for brain problems such as encephelomeningitis...

please let me know how she is.

• Posted

Sorry iv only just logged back on here, she was seen by the dr who thinks it could be the tablets but said to continue them and drink plenty ( which she has been doing) and if she's still confused to take her to a and e or stop them, to be honest she has had continues illnesses for the last few years and I think they get fed up with me keep taking her over there and don't take it seriously. She is 53, abd the rash is on the left side of her forehead/scalp and eye.

I have brought her to my house for the night, she seems less confused right now but if she gets bad I will send her to a and e, I have a 4 year old and 1 year old so can't go with her.

Thankyou for your replies xxx

• Posted

I know the antivirals can cause confusion rarely, but as the shingles is in or near her eye, she runs the risk of more inflammation near her brain. Is she also on a corticosteroid such as prednisone? That would increase her mental confusion. Is she on a lot of other medications? They can cause interactions. I developed a moderate encephalomeningitis, was horribly irritable, felt bizarre, when I had shingles in my eye and ear. It was not the antiviral. As the antivirals are metabolized via the kidneys, it is imperative she drink at least 2 litres a day.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

She isn't on prednisone or the other one but does take alot of other medications. She got worse this eve and kept having like her body jerking a lot, the duty doctor saw her and has sent her to a and e for tests. Thankyou for all your advice xxx
    • Posted

It sounds like seizures, and she should be admitted to the hospital for a workup to include MRI/CAT scan, CBC,Lumbar puncture etc...I doubt highly if this is the antiviral Famvir Valtrex or Acyclovir.

I am sorry your mum is ill. Please keep me posted.

• Posted

Hello she was discharged the early hours of this morning? The dr in a and e thinks it's the codeine she's on causing this but she has been taking that for nearly a month for nerve damage in her legs. Would it take that long to cause side effects? They've discharged her, didn't do any tests despite her still being very confused and hallucinating. I wish I was with her I would of made them check everything, but couldn't leave the kids. I'm getting her to come here again so I can keep an eye on her. What do I do now? Just trust there judgement. All her obs were apparently all ok. I'm so worried xxx
    • Posted

I'd get her to the hospital, too.  I'm so sorry, K.  I hate this disease.  I'm only 57 and I'm in week 8.  I feel somewhat paralzyed on my right side of my waste.  Having severe back pain not knowing whether it's from shingles or herniated disc.  I'm so tired of crying.  I took the antivirals within the 72 hour period, didn't do me much good.  How old is your mum?  I just prayed for her, honey.

• Posted

Can you get a friend to watch your children?

Unfortunately, most doctors will use any excuse to discharge a patient from an emergency room (I live across the pond.) Unless a family member is there to tell the physician what the patient is like and advocate on behalf of the patient, there is little you can do. This is not from the codeine either. You and I know that. Do not trust their judgement as this is not typically her behaviors!

• Posted

I took her back in this morning, they are keeping her in and have done all the scans, blood test etc, she's just had a lumbar puncture so will have results in a few hours. They said the brain scan was ok so surely it's not her brain? Any way thankyou so much for all your replies I will keep you updated. Xxx
    • Posted

Thankyou, she is 53. Wow week 8 I never even knew anything about this before, no one tells you how serious it can be.

I hope you are feeling much better soon xxx

• Posted

You sound so sweet and dear, Becky. I live in the States on the east coast, hence the delay in responding. You probably need an MRI to see if it is a slipped disc, and what ever else. Shingles is a sensory disease, primarily, and only causes paralysis of the facial nerve. If you are in week 8, you have Post Herpetic Neuropathy, and need to see your physician for additional pain management. Please make an appointment on Monday. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Can you list what medications she takes? Which brain scan? MRI. or CT?

Thank you

• Posted

I think it was a ct scan. The medications I can think off the top of my head are... Clozaril, amisulpride , amitryptaline, pirenzapine, sodium valproate, codeine. I think that's it xxx
    • Posted

The disease she is being treated with Clozaril and Amisulpride can cause confusion and hallucinations when her body is stressed. That being said, those same drugs can lower the seizure threshold, ie, precipitate seizures when her body is stressed with shingles near her brain. Valproate is an anti-seizure medication, often used to stabilize brain chemistry. I hope this helps. When a person's condition has changed, I always look at the patient's signs and symptoms, diseases , current and chronic, and all medications, with adverse reactions first, to see if that is the cause. Shingles causes tremendous inflammation. It can cause a fever, also lowering the seizure threshold.

If the actual eye is involved, she needs to be seen by an ophthalmologist. eye involved = the vesicles (blisters) are on her eyelids, tip of her nose, around her eye, etc. or eye is red. I hope this helps. A CT scan is not as sensitive as an MRI, but an MRI would require your mum's cooperation.

• Posted

Hello the results of the LP have shown the infection has spread to her brain. What does this mean? I don't understand what they were saying tbh. The antiviral she is on will that cure it or just stop it getting worse, will she be like this forever? Xxx
    • Posted

I think I stated in an earlier post that I was worried about viral encephalomeningitis, a complication of Herpes Zoster ( shingles.) As she had, I believe you told me blisters by her eye, that increased the possibility of encephalomeningitis. It can be treated with IV ACYCLOVIR & corticosteroids. I cannot say for certain, as I do not have all the facts, but your mum could make a full recovery. Obviously, I wish they had diagnosed this initially, the first time she went to the physicians. The sooner it is treated, the less damage, etc. I am glad they finally hospitalized her and ran the appropriate tests. Please try to visit her so you can advocate for her in the hospital. I know how difficult it is when you have small children, I had the same situation when my son was tiny, I never liked asking favors, but sometimes you need to ask for help in this instance. Please keep me posted. I am sending you a warm hug...
    • Posted

I feel so guilty, I just trusted what they were saying I should of done more. I'm glad too that finally someone listened. Oh I will be there everyday I will have people look after the girls, I just couldn't that 1st night as it was the middle of the night and had no one. I will never forgive myself if she doesn't recover. Thankyou again for your advice/support xxx
    • Posted

I just looked at when we started texting, and am relieved that it hasn't been that long 1-2 days, maximum, since she started hallucinating, having confusion, and seizures. That greatly improves her chances in recovering from this. FYI...
    • Posted

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY! Is she on a ventilator? No... This can be managed. You kept sending her back, knowing something was wrong. You trusted your instincts, intuition, what we women have. You reached out for help on this site, and I am so glad you did. Once the IV antivirals, antiseizure, and anti-inflammatory medications kick in, she will improve. Tincture of time and Mother Nature also help to in the healing process. Please, I have been thinking of your mum and you, think positive thoughts. ...
    • Posted

Also, you are welcome. I am honored to help any way I can...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.