Can shingles cause hallucinations?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello this is about my mum, she got shingles about 3 days ago and has all the symptoms in the leaflets etc. Since last night though she has been hallucinating, and very confused. She could hear a radio which wasn't there and has been arguing with people that aren't there. She's really confused, can't have a proper convosation as will start talking about totally different things and people from years ago iv called the drs and she has to go over later but I'm so worried untill then. Could it be the antiviral tablets? Xxx

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just thought I'd update you,

My mums confusion was much worse this morning, hallucinating constantly. The nurse says that her white blood cell count is low but the antibiotics should help that. This afternoon she had a seizure and is now extremely tired in a deep sleep, it's good to see her resting to be honest. They want her to have an MRI scan and have put her on some sort of drip to help with the seizures but can't remeber what she said it was called xxx

• Posted

Lord! What your family is going through. So sorry. Hang in there.
    • Posted

It may take more than one medication to control the seizures. One of them is a drug like Valium.

The medications your mum is on, Clozaril and Amisulpride, can lower the body's white blood cell count, which lowers your mum's ability to fight infection. Usually, the physician in charge of that specialty orders a complete blood count on a regular basis to monitor for that.

As seizures are an overstimulation of the brain's electrical impulses, your mum's brain is now resting by sleeping. She is in a post-ictal state."

As she is on "heavy-duty" medictions to control the seizures, antivirals for the Herpes Zoster for the brain's infection, in the strange environment of the hospital ICU? , and has a brain infection, her hallucinations and confusion certainly make sense at this point.

I know it is difficult and emotionally heart-wrenching to see your beloved mum like this, but let her know you are there. Are you her only child? If so, it makes this even harder, as you have no one with whom to share this.

I am sending you a warm hug.

• Posted

I'm praying, K.  Just glad she's in the hospital.  She is way too young to be going through this.  I'm so sorry, Honey.  My gosh I can't understand the hallucinations, but it must be due to the seizure.  Stay close to Jesus and ask him to heal her obviously, but also to give you peace.   It's so hard when we're out of control and can't do anything to help ourselves or loved ones.  Anyway, I will continue to pray for her.  Keep  me posted. 
  • Posted

So she continued to fit throughout the night, she also had a fall luckily only causing bruising. Today though when I visited she seems much better, still muddled at times but have actually had proper conversations with her today. She has been in and out of very deep sleep but that's because of the seizures. The arm where they put the cannula swelled up and went really hard so they took it out and put one in the other arm. I have just been told she's been moved to a ward now which must be a good sign. She was meant to have the MRI today but has been moved untill tomoro.

Am feeling much more positive today :-) xxx

• Posted

She could be sleepy also due to the anti- seizure medications she is on, in addition to the seizures. I am glad she is so much better, but sorry she fell. Please ask which medications she is on in the hospital. If she is talking like herself, that means her brain function is likely intact.

Hooray! This is so difficult for her and you, I know, but it is wonderful to hear about the improvement!

Sincerely,

Merry

• Posted

Yes ~ I would say that it is the anti-viral tablets, though my hallucinations were, I thought, from the pain medication for the full shingles attack.  I was too late for the anti-viral tablets.  Perhaps the shingles itself causes the hallucintations ~ it does other weird things as it courses through the host body.  You will keep a close watch on your Mum but try to let the tablets do their best, as the alternative ~ a full shingles attack ~ will be much worse for her.
  • Posted

Hi, This is Merry. I am sorry we haven't spoken, texted for awhile, but I had Zoster again. I was wondering how your mum was doing. I am still worried about her and would appreciate your kind reply.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Merry, I'm so sorry to hear you have been unwell and hope your feeling better soon. Also I'm sorry I have not posted an update sooner.

My mum is so much better than she was, the MRI showed that there is no permanent damage to her brain, she has been discharged and is on the anti-viral orally now, they have also increased her medication for the seizures. And has been referred to a neurologist. I go round every day to help her get up and do housework and as she is still a bit confused I'm doing her meds for now, I think the confusion will get better each day. Thankyou again for all of your advice and knowledge you shared. The consultant said if it had bee left too long things would of been alot worse. Xxx

• Posted

Wonderful news. You are such a loving daughter, and you knew when your mum was very ill, so I congratulate you and your mum for all the difficulties, advocacy on your part, and hard labor.

From across the small pond,

Merry xxx

• Posted

Hi Merry how are you feeling now? Just a quick bit of advice. Since my mums been out of hospital she has been getting much better but she still has awful pain at the site where the shingles were and also it's really itchy still? Even after the course of anti- viral tablets have finished , We did see the dr earlier about everything and when I told him he wasn't concerned but just wanted to check with you that it is normal? As I can't trust the drs completely. I'm so paranoid it's going to come back and effect her brain again.
    • Posted

Hello. I am so happy your mum is recovering, but realize that she still has the severe pain and itching that can linger. Your mum already had one dreaded complication of Herpes Zoster, and I believe she has the other, post herpetic neuralgia (PHN.) As the neural pathways to the skin and eye were infected by the Herpes virus, they cause a great deal of damage to some of us and cause continued pain and itching at the original site. Many doctors are abysmally ignorant regarding Herpes Zoster and are NOT compassionate. Your mum is not in physical danger, but absolutely needs a strong narcotic such as oxycodone and anti itch medication such as atarax or doxepin. Benadryl does not work as well as these oral medications for itching.
    • Posted

If you remember, I am from the US, so Google the UK equivalent of these medications. Please search for an empathetic physician for your mum as the neuropathic pain and itching both are unbearable. Itching cannot be controlled by lotions or ointments and corticosteroids should not be used. Also, is your mum eating well from all food groups? She needs a proper diet to heal, especially after the insult to her brain.

The above medications could make her sleepy and off balance, so she shouldn't drive or be left alone until you and she knows how her body tolerates them.

Please let me know how she does, as I do know how she feels.

I might try an ice pack for the itching. ..

Merry

• Posted

Also, some people on Shingles sites say

L-lysine and Emuaid are great for Zoster-Shingles , but I read the double blind research studies and these homeopathic drugs are a waste of money.

Again,

Best Wishes to your Mum and you.

If I had a daughter, I would wish her to be like you.

Merry

• Posted

Thankyou again for your advice, I am trying to persuade her to register with my surgery. And am also hoping the referral letter to the neurologist comes any day. Yes am trying to get her to eat a good varied diet but she has lost her appetite since all of this.

Take care Merry and no doubt will speak again soon!

Also ahh thankyou, what a lovely thing to say! You would change your mind if you knew me as a teenager ;-) xxx

• Posted

Ah yes, teenage angst! I was terrible, at times as well...my parents still loved me anyway...take care, and please keep me posted.
    • Posted

Hello .. My name is yvey ..

I just had to reply to you after reading your comment about "Homeopathic drugs are a waste of money" .

Natural remedies can work as long as you know what you are doing . Also your diet plays a big part .. Eating healthy and the right food .. ..

I have shingles for nearly 3 weeks now this is my first time .. And it has been horrific .. My doctor who I like very much gave me medication after medication but the side effects were as bad as the illness .. I couldn't take anything .. But I turned to homeopathic medication and it has brought me relieve and hope .. It was great to go on a site and read positive recovery than reading horrific experiences who most of the people mentioned are still recovering ..

I also know that some drugs and interventions are needed ..

But no one should make comments or put people off any kind of homeopathic treatment as it could be there only hope ..

I wish everybody well who has this horrific virus .. It's the worst experience I have had in my life .. I just want to give everyone hope as positive thinking helps greatly to .. ..

Best wishesYvey

• Posted

Hi. I've just discovered this thread after finding it via a google search. My mum is going through very similar to what you've described, even down to details like the doctors not taking things seriously in the first few weeks. We're into a second month of mum's suffering, delirium, pain, constant debilitating UTIs and infections. Did your mum recover after the weeks of struggle? Did she get home and live a normal life? Are you ok? If you read this could you please update what happened in the 3 years since posting. Many thanks for sharing your story.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.