Can shingles cause hallucinations?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello this is about my mum, she got shingles about 3 days ago and has all the symptoms in the leaflets etc. Since last night though she has been hallucinating, and very confused. She could hear a radio which wasn't there and has been arguing with people that aren't there. She's really confused, can't have a proper convosation as will start talking about totally different things and people from years ago iv called the drs and she has to go over later but I'm so worried untill then. Could it be the antiviral tablets? Xxx

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Help I just read this , I'm so scared out of my mind ,, I read this and realized this is exactly what I'm going through . My mom is doing this with no answers .,I'm beyond words ... Did ur mom get better ?
  • Posted

Hi. I pray things are better for your mum. Last year in January it was determined that I had shingles of the face, eye, and brain! I couldn’t eat or drink anything and when I did, promptly threw it up. Eventually my husband (I thank God for his persistence!) got me admitted to the hospital and pumped full of fluids, antiviral meds and whatever else that was needed. I lost most of last year, to pain, weakness, and hallucinations, which I remember. The hallucinations eventually did go away but the pain has lingered for more than a year. I went to a pain clinic and had three rounds of injections into nerves in my face but that didn’t stop the pain. I’ve broken down and requested hydrocodone but it doesn’t really help, only takes some of the edge off. I have never been given OxyContin, never been offered this, and doubt if I will ever get a pain medication that will truly work since the US government healthcare system has a death grip on the throats of decent doctors and care. Hence, doctors are being pressured to nor prescribe narcotic meds even while en they are needed. Those of us in constant pain are left in limbo and suffering 24/7/365. It’s not a good situation to be in. I hope your mum had gotten all the palliative care needed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.