Can someone help

Posted , 11 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if they suffer hip, buttock, lower back and abdomen pain with diverticulitis

All these pains are really worrying me, I'm going into my sixth week now, was told threes years ago that I have diverticulitis but I don't remember pain this severe, night time is the worst, I have to get up and have a bm at least twice a night, doctor sending me for mri this week, don't know why as I thought that would only show up bone problems, Tks for any help in advance

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it will affect those areas because of the inflammation.  For 6 months before my sigmoid colectomy surgery I was at the chiropractor bout every 2 weeks getting readjustment. The inflammation will literally push the bones around.  Once I had my surgery it all stopped. 
    • Posted

Tks Glenda for replying, sounds horrific, the pain is unrelenting, I can't even think back to what I did to start this off I was grand for three years since my last colonoscopy

• Posted

I have had all of the above when I have a flare up.  Warm heating pad, Bentyl and soft diet for a few more weeks.  It takes at least 3 months to heal.  A probiotic would help too!
    • Posted

Tks madeline, God three months, but that's OK if this is nothing worse, I feel so bad at times I think I must be dieing, it's more than scarey, hope you are feeling better now

• Posted

Ive had the same issues - 6 weeks out. For many people it takes the muscles and joints a long time to realign and de-spasm after a flare.
    • Posted

Really appreciate your reply, maybe il start to feel better soon if it takes that long, it's a horrible disease, hope you feel good at moment

• Posted

Does it feel like an ache, tenderness to hip and buttocks?  If so, yes.....I do.  I’m on a med to relax colon.  It has taken 2 months for that terrible ache to somewhat diminish, but certain movements I still have e a tenderness inside. I’m due for scopes 1st week of July. 
    • Posted

Yes it does, anywhere I press its like I was exercising for first time and over did it, had horrendous burning pain last night in lower Abdominal, but not to left side as most people with diverticulitis describe it, had to get up at 3.30 and have a bm, up again at around 5.30, bm very loose

• Posted

Learning an awful lot about different pain areas. I have the classic lower left side abdominal pain and bad lower back pain, but for me it is the really bad dull ache and ongoing rectal pain. I know I have a fissure, but this is

so bad I can’t stand or even sit for too long without feeling really unwell. I have had two children, so know about excruciating pain in that area, but this is worse and so unrelenting. 😩 Hope your pain eases soon Kate

• Posted

Hi Caroline, Tks for your reply, I know exactly what you mean, I've had rectum pain for five weeks straight as well as lower back and leg pain as to point where walking is unbearable, I don't get left side low ab pain I'd nearly prefer if I did as I would worry less about the dreaded c word, I think in my head I'm convinced I'm dying, it's so frightening and lonely, sincerely hope you feel better soon and tk u

• Posted

I went back and reread that you have the ache/pain down your leg and back.   I wanted to say ‘yes’ I do too when I have a flare up.  Even to my groin and yes my lumbar back is always more tender when awakening and getting out of bed.   I was born with one kidney and one utera tube so I too worry about everything also.  I have to keep reminding myself that my anxiety over this is NOT helping me heal inside.  I believe all anxious /panic attack people have this. They just don’t all know it yet.    I’ve had no red meat for 4 months.   

I’m so sorry you don’t feel well and try not to worry.  I know it’s hard.   I do hope you find relief from this.  I had a resection over 20 years ago.   They told me they never take it all....only the infected or really bad part as some of my colon was actually stuck together. I also had a fistula that pierced my bladder so everything in colon was also entering my bladder and had to have that repaired.   Think positive thoughts, get a dog and hug him.   Mine has been my best friend and therapy. 

Jan 

• Posted

Thank you so much Jan, just being able to talk to other sufferers is a huge help, like everyone I would love to feel well again and do normal stuff, but if this turns out to be diverticulitis again I will be so grateful, I have a lovely springer spaniel dog and one particularly good friend, hope you are in good health at the moment
    • Posted

Hi Kate, I understand exactly why you worry about the dreaded c word. Have you had a ct scan, colonoscopy or both as this would rule out anything sinister? I’m going through a flare up right now and have just had an awful weekend with intense pain and feeling so alone and frightened. This disease affects your mind as well and I’m not sure that part of it is really understood. It really is an isolating illness that only people who have it can fully understand. We have so many nerves in our bowels so it will affect us both mentally and physically. This forum is so good for advice and emotional support and I’m so pleased to have found it. I really hope you feel better soon. Keep in touch and be kind to yourself.
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, yes I have had colonoscopy in 2015 which found the diverticulitis pouches, then a year later in 2016 I had a Ct Scan which was clear, I felt very well after the clear out from colonoscopy up to five weeks ago and then back pain started again, your do right when you say it's isolating and so frightening, people don't understand, I wake up with back and leg pain every night, feel exhausted, how long is there s flare up going on with you? do yoghurts or probiotics help you at all, do you think antibiotics help, I took a week of cipro at start but no good, Tks for the support, hope we can keep it going.

• Posted

Im glad that I have been reading the comments on this. I have been getting the same symptoms, as I have arthritis I thought my pain was due to that, but now im thinking it may be Diverticular symptoms. There is very little information on this disease, and in the UK it is treated as a very minor disease unless the pockets burst, then of course it becomes an emergency
    • Posted

Hi cara, yes three years ago I was just told after a colonoscopy that I had pouches in my colon, no one said what might happen or I should go on a certain diet, I've been lucky for 3,years up to five weeks ago, why don't you go to doctor and find out if it is diverticulitis with you so you know what to do in future

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.