Can someone shed some light please?...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Folks, I need your feedback please.  I love my husband and care deeply about him.  He was diagnosed with CP in 2011.  Back then, he had multiple stays in the hospital during the more severe attacks.  As expected, the hospital just gave him pain meds and fluids…and he would eventually feel good enough to go home.  As time went on, he decided to self-treat in order to save money.  So when an attack came, he’d suffer through it on our couch.  Although dangerous, this has actually been working for him.

During his last hospital stay years ago, the internist in the ER said that along with cysts, he was approaching the stage that would require surgery…like the Whipple procedure.  So his pancreas is not is great shape.  He’s also dropped from 175 to 130 pounds, and can’t seem to gain any of that back.

He’s been taking ZenPep since August 2014 and it has stopped the daily vomiting.  He eats almost anything he wants – fats, meats, sugar, etc.  He smokes and is an alcoholic who has not stopped drinking.  This is where I need your input…he drinks daily, sometimes multiple drunks per day, but rarely has attacks.  I’m not complaining, but how can this be??

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed with cp, a couple of years back and drinking was the problem you just have to stop because your killing it from the inside out plus I've had some really bad hospital stays and if your drinking they will leave you without morphine and the like and that's all day pain terrible I'm awaiting an op and currently on morthine daily wich is no quality of life this will certainly happen if your husband don't stop the grog!  Plus he could end up losing his pancreas then having a colostomy bag for the rest of his life , ! Think of that everyday smelling of s;rolleyest! Hope he fixes up!
    • Posted

Thank you so much!  Yes, I understand he has to quit, and deep down, I think he knows too.  I didn't know that about the hospitals.  He always lies to them and says he has stopped, so they treat him normally.
  • Posted

Sometimes the pancreas just keeps going through drinking because it's fighting, but the damage is most certianly being done. I lost a friend through pancreatitis.

When he stops drinking the pancreas may rest and crash, or get an attack. He's on dangerous ground! It could get an attack at any time while he's drinking, you just never know when it'll happen.

And sugar, meats and fats! Chicken without skin or liver may not be so bad but if he's eating fatty meats that is bad.

I used to be hospitalised with attacks, but I too decided to deal with it on my own so on the rare occassion I feel it start to happen I suck liquorice juice sticks and take Grapefruit Seed Extract and a few other herbs, and am very careful what I eat. I get rid of it much faster than they do in hospital!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and so sorry you're experiencing this disease too.

So if I understand correctly, once all this catches up with him or if he actually tries to quit drinking, he'll most probably experience a massive attack which may result in immediate death.  Is that what you're saying?  If so, how does anyone ever quit drinking once they're down this path?  Do they have to quit through a medical professional so the process is controlled?

Thanks for you help!

• Posted

No I'm not saying that at all! Just that he might get one. Liquorice really helps, but not the sugary kind, liquorice root or liquorice juice sticks as I mentioned.
    • Posted

Gotcha!  I'll search aroung for that so I know where to get it next time.  Thank you!
  • Posted

Alcohol the THE MAIN CAUSE of pancreatitis.  The first question I was asked when I went to the emergency room was, "Do you drink?"   I don't understand why drinking doesn't set him off.
    • Posted

That's exactly my point and why I asked this question.  It makes no sense to me either.
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear of your problem Sadandlost. I think your husband should change his lifestyle immediately. Chronic Pancreatitis has no cure and can only get worst. If your husband has stopped getting pain although he is eating everything and drinling alcohol, doesn't mean that he's been cured. It might be that the the pancreas tissue has died and the nerves in the pancreas have also died and thus not feeling pain. He is losing weight because his pancreas is not producing any enzymes to help with food digestion as it passes through the intestines and this result in malnutrition as the food is not being absorbed by the body. My advise is that he go back to his physician for a review of his case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.