Can someone tell me if they've experienced side effects from Omeprazole?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've finally gotten a diagnosis for my symptoms. Turns out I have Acid Reflux Disease. My Dr prescribed Omeprazole. I have such a hard time with big capsules. Before I proceed with these I wanted to get some feedback/advice. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They are bit very big. If you read the packet insert I think it says that you can empty the capsules into water and drink it.
  • Posted

Have been on them for several months with no problems. Used to have trouble swallowing, now on 18 MEDS a day just had to learn to swallow them and now no problem doing it. Always take lots of water with tabs. Best of luck with taking them.
  • Posted

Hi Katrena, I have exactly the same problem, if i cannot snap tablets in half i cannot take them, I am too on Omeprazole 20mg, but i asked my doctor for dissolvable ones that you just mix with water and they are fine...hope this helps!!!
  • Posted

I break them open and mix with a couple of spoons of yoghurt. I think the leaflet says you can mix them in stewed apples too. Just make sure you swallow the mix and don't chew the granules
  • Posted

I would say if your not in to much distress then don't take them, instead change what your eating.  I took Prilosec for about 1 year when I stopped which I did slowly it took several weeks for my body to adjust in that time though I had a lot of reflux symptoms from stopping them
  • Posted

Hi Katrena

do some research on Omeprazole and PPI side effects before you proceed.  I had been on Omeprazole for 10 years initially thinking it was a wonder drug because all my heartburn went away, no more reflux but what I didn't realise was that the damage was still going on inside and I now have Barretts Oesophagus - damage to the Oesophagus from acid reflux. There are a whole host of side effects from these drugs such as malabsorption of vitamin B12, poor absorption of calcium which can lead to osteoporosis, anaemia, etc. I have had lots of problems with stomach bloating, fatigue, headaches, just generally not feeling well. I have now had Nissen Fundiplication surgery (anti reflux surgery) and have come off Omeprazole so hopefully can get quality of life back. I would say don't allow your doctor to keep you on Omeprazole long term and do insist on having an endoscopy every couple of years to check on your oesophagus. Good luck.

• Posted

Surely the PPI is prescribed to prevent Barretts.... no acid no Barrettts.

You need to maintain a good diet rich in calcium when taking a PPI to avoid osteoporosis,

• Posted

I have found this info on refluxmd.com:

Reflux treatment is misunderstood

Many times when a patient complains of the symptoms of reflux, a proton pump inhibitor, or PPI, such as Prilosec, Prevacid, or Nexium is prescribed. These drugs relieve the symptoms of reflux by reducing the amount of acid produced by the stomach, which helps minimize heartburn and allows some complications like inflammation of the esophageal lining to heal. If the patient’s symptoms are relieved, no additional testing or monitoring is done. But symptom control doesn’t mean that the reflux is cured. While on PPIs, patients continue to reflux - they just can’t feel it - and their disease will continue to progress. Treatment with PPIs does not prevent complications like Barrett’s and cancer.

The truth about PPIs

PPIs are among the most prescribed drugs in the world. Consumers spend more than $24 billion each year on PPIs, looking for relief from their reflux symptoms. While they have helped millions of people, there are risks that users must understand. Reflux disease is a chronic, progressive disease, so once PPIs are started, they are often continued indefinitely. Studies have shown that long-term use of these drugs is correlated to an increase in the incidence of bone fractures, clostridium difficile colitis, a potentially deadly infection of the intestines, pneumonia, and low magnesium levels. In fact, the FDA recently placed over-the-counter PPIs on their watch list because of the danger of C. difficile colitis. PPIs are also known to interact with other drugs; the most important of these is Plavix, a blood thinner used for prevention of heart attacks and strokes. What’s most concerning is that several studies have demonstrated that 30% of PPI users don’t even have reflux. That means that millions of people are taking a potentially dangerous drug that they don’t even need.

PPIs must be used carefully as a long-term maintenance medication and only under the care of a well-informed physician. Never take over-the-counter PPIs for more than 14 days without talking to a doctor. And remember, even when they are used appropriately to treat reflux disease, PPIs simply control the symptoms of the disease.  The reflux is not stopped or cured, and PPIs don’t reverse the damage to the LES or stop the disease from progressing.

• Posted

Thank you. I will definitely proceed with caution now. I hope everything works out for you. 
    • Posted

I have said to doctors that I still have reflux but it is no longer acidic. That seems to puzzle them.

If no acid why should barretts develop??

• Posted

Without going through the reflux md site. What are they selling?
    • Posted

Hi Derek, always suffered with belching, and odd times of heartburn, and whilst having others issues investigated discovered barretts osphecus which was a shock. Just sorted out gallbladder removal, which has eased up one discomfort. But IBS and diverticulitus still bad, having said that after reading some of the written up stuff on reflux wonder if some of my symptoms could be related to Barretts Oesophagus. Also had cancer and on MEDS for further 3 years to prevent itreturning, this has lead to needing tabs for my bones, b12 is also boarder line, plus low blood pressure which was before the above symptoms and thyroid. So trying to keep on top of it all is a nightmare. Trouble is a lot of these symptoms mimicking eAch other. So glad found this sight.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear of your long list of ailments. You obviously are a fighter to have survived.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words. Believe it or not but that has been the easy part of my life. One has to just keep plodding on.

Colonoscopy tomorrow the joy of health issues never stop :-)

• Posted

Good luck with it. Today will be uncomfortable after taking the bowel cleanser. Should I worry you even more?

I had a colonoscopy last year and the catheter stimulated my vagus nerve and put me into AF. Fourteen weeks of Warfarin and six weeks on Amiodarone before having a cardioversion to put me back into sinus rhythm.

I was going to pay to have a virtual (CT) colonoscopy but my GP persuaded me to save money and got me a fairly quick NHS appointment for the normal one. I should always follow my instincts.

• Posted

Well keep fingers crossed then for me. I have a leading surgeon doing it so he better live up to his reputation. Opted for sedation as when had a stimulus done was far to painful.plus just a coward.
    • Posted

Just to let you know all went well with colonoscopy thankfullydid not experiance what you went through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.