can someone tell me the truth about cold progression

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was on a site yesterday buy only saw later the question was listed 8 years ago! Ian 58 stage 3 with 32% lung function.I can do nothing,every time I try my breath goes.Life has ended and I wonder his long I stay in stage 3,really I want to know is my life is going to go on like this for years.I could not stick it as it is no life like the one I had.To get washed and dressed is so hard,and I am full of fluidretention so look a sight.I am also very down and feel I would ruin anyone's day.There is no love in my life,that died a long time ago,oh I get fed but if he can be out of the house he is gone.Could the meds make me feel so based I was always a very happy person.My children don't know the new me.Do others feel like this.I was told 7 months ago how bad I was.Thank you'll for reAding this.

6 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am so sorry you are having such a rotten time. Of course all drugs have side effects, you are getting all the horrible ones. You forgot to list your drugs ? Maybe you will get more advice if you will do this? Waiting for your reply - -  Jay
    • Posted

Hi Jay7196.Thank you for your reply.I am on Seretide,Spiriva'Ventolinand nebuliser.Really want to know the usual progression of copd,I know if I do all the right things I can help slow progression down.Others have said why bother as life gets worse withtime.Can't see hiw it can as it's so bad as it is.I am not looking for sympathy I just feel we are given one fact and another site gives the opposite,just want the truth,thanks again.
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel, my lung function at best is 24% which puts me into the last stage. Had trouble coming to terms with mortality but had to accept it. I can walk on a good day about 10yds but the time it takes me to recover, it's really not worth it. Bathing, getting dressed even getting into a wheel chair is a struggle. The steroids have made me put on over 3 stones so now at 15st I look like Jabba the Hutt . I,m depressed most of the time but try not to show it. The only advice I can give is come to terms with your condition, get all the help you can and no matter how hard it is try and stay positive. Take each day as it comes and treasure every breath . Good luck stay positive
    • Posted

Hikevin69896,wefeel the same but you are ahead of me but not by much.Like you I am worn out after I have washed and dressed.What steroids are you on is it tablets?It's hard not to show depression but I have found people ask but really do not want the answer.Thank you I will try and stay positive.You please take care of yourself.
    • Posted

Hi again fedup2 yes I,m a bit further down the line, tablets I,m on are as follows prednisolone10 mg , ore morph 2.5 ml as required, mucodyne , codeine phosphate 10mg x 4 dally seretide two puffs twice daily, spireva once daily. I also have my nebuliser  which I take my ventolin with, I also take tablets for my cardio vascular disease but despite all this I still try to stay positive although sometimes I get down and a bit cheesed of when no one understands how difficult it is. Still take care and keep positive. 

• Posted

Oh Kevin you are on so much stuff I feel so bad for you,yes you are further down the line and yet took the time to reply to me.All I can say is you are some guy.I think I  understand how you feel but wonder could I be as brave and positive when I have to take  thoes very heavy meds.I will mention you to thoes I chat to above and ask for help.Thank you and please take care,I will bethinking of you.
    • Posted

Hi Kevin,was thinking about you and I really hope all is ok with you.If you can will you let me know you are ok. Take care of yourself.x
    • Posted

Hi Kevin.How are you

fedup2 here

please let me know.

• Posted

Its certainly very scarey, isn't it.

Not as bad yet but I have that yet to come, obviously.

For the while I have Grandkids that don't know what death is yet and the youngest has only just started to recognise me. (Serious, concentrating little face turns to warm smile).

There are many other folk out there who would benifit from your experiences FU. I do seem to notice a move towards more info on this subject, online, because there are a LOT of scared people living (and dying) in ignorance

• Posted

Hi rizia01.I just noticed my reply  to you did not show ,I must have done something wrong,Apologies.Yes it is very scarey as we don't know how or when we will change.I was told it is progressive so I wonder if doing all we should to slow it down is really the right thing if life is still as bad as it is,so worm out not ale to do anything.There are a lot of very positive people out there so maybe I am wrong.Take care of yourself .t there so maybe I am wrong.Take care. there so 
    • Posted

Hi how are you.fefup2 here..left update on site.please let me know how you are.
  • Posted

hi fedup2,I was diagnosed this year with COPD,I have 37% ,I am depressed and can't believe I have this disease...I'm on Spiriva and Seretide.

I Don't even understand/know what stage I'm at with the above 37% lung function,I was wondering if any one could help me with that,(what stage am I )

Thinking of you fedup2,even though I don't know any of the answers,sending you a special (((hug))) hang on in there like we are all trying to do...smile

• Posted

Hi poppysockd1.we are in the same stage which is 3,but these are only numbers as there are other things whicare used to say what stage wd are in.I hope things are ok for you as you seem to be in a better place than me.If possible stay there and i hope you have people who  are helping you.Thank you for your lovely hug,how kind.Take care of yourselg.
    • Posted

Hi again poppysocks1.Just noticed you did say you were depressed and like ne can't believe we have this disease,my apologies I did not intendto overlook how you feel as believe me I understand.We are onthe same meds I wonder if these can make us more depressed.Day after day us the same,try to get downstairs onkyto be so out if breath it's time to sit and look at wall orhead up again and face more breathlessness.Take care and again apologies.
    • Posted

Hi again,I hope I didn't give the impression that i was a goodie,I was smoking for about 30 years and my consultant when I did go said I was in denial as it was not pissible for me not to have noticed the decline I was in.Looking back it is so obvious but I put it down to hayfever and maybe smoking to many the day before and also being a little unfit.I would give my right arm at times for a cig but my breathing is so bad I would not be able to smoke.Like you I am nowhereright arm at times for a cig but my breathong ix now so bad I don't think I would be abke to smoke
    • Posted

I hadn't finished but hit the button in error.You said on other forum that to stop smoking would not hekp,I know I wondered that as well,but peopke on this site say to stop is the best thing you can do.Could you cut down to a few a day?I like you and so many others can't except that we havd this,you kniw sometimes I think I am talking  about someone else.We are all the same.I am thinking of asking for something to taje away the depression as if I keep crying no body will want me.Has anyone tried stuff and if so does it work.I alsi have oressure pain and redness,even when I am not crying, in my right eye.Anyone ekse have this.Thanks again for listening.
    • Posted

Morning fedup2

It's terrible suffering from depression it's bad enough if not worse living with copd! I'm only at stage two but not far off fromstage 3 what with having repeated infection after infection I also have other 2 other long term health conditions which doesn't help either hypothyroidisim (under active thyroid) & hypertension...but I know there's more to follow! It's very depressing especially when you can't get none or not much help atall from family or your all alone! But not anymore as you got us all we've all got each other to turn too for emotional support & advice plus for  the physical side of life have you thought or know of palliative care? you & other people at the stage your at should be entitled to this sort of support as for myself I'm not quite sure I could get this type off support yet but I will look into this palliative care, does anyone else reading this message know about palliative care my knoledge if spelt correctly on palliative care is quite limited!? Anyway I hope this bit of info might be off some help I hope it can help & I wish you well! Is there anything you enjoyed doing like reading,art,sewing,knitting, building with those construction kits,boats,dinosuars  ect anything that could take your mind  off this Monster I call it that we live with? It could but not promissing lift the depression to one side,it's up to you but is worth a try even some smooth relaxing music might help these are just suggestions but entirely up to you... I hope you get the help you need & please if you don't mind let  us know how you get on!smile

• Posted

Thank you Karen for your kind reply.....now feel I was unfair to my husband.He does not mention how i am but i don't mention it to him either.It must be very hard on him..he works very hard snd cooks and shops ect.When I think about it he has lost just as much as me.I do wish he was more of a support emotionally,but this site does fill that for me.I think the worst part of all this is we never know where we are....no doctor can tell us.Forgot to say I am having night sweats ...does anyone else have these.Karen you have 2 other conditions..know nothing about one but I also have high blood pressure ,i have no problem with it as i take a tablet and that seems to deal with it.I am going in early may to see someone about anxiety...i don't think i suffer more than anyone else in my condition but my pulmonery doctor feels i do.Will let you know how i get on.Have started reading again and that does take my mind off this problem.Must try other things as you suggested as anything that takes us away from copd thoughts must be.good for us.Thanks again Karen, you take care.x

• Posted

Afternoon fedup2

your welcome!

Glad you are back to the reading that's good & very good at helping one to fall asleep, much better than sleeping pills though it's not easy consentrating sometimes which is why I lay off the reading then go back to it when i can concentrate which is hardly much now adays but thought I'd mention it as it can benefit someone else which I'm glad it has!& stop if you can of feeling guilty & enjoy the rest of the day!X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.