can someone tell me the truth about cold progression

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was on a site yesterday buy only saw later the question was listed 8 years ago! Ian 58 stage 3 with 32% lung function.I can do nothing,every time I try my breath goes.Life has ended and I wonder his long I stay in stage 3,really I want to know is my life is going to go on like this for years.I could not stick it as it is no life like the one I had.To get washed and dressed is so hard,and I am full of fluidretention so look a sight.I am also very down and feel I would ruin anyone's day.There is no love in my life,that died a long time ago,oh I get fed but if he can be out of the house he is gone.Could the meds make me feel so based I was always a very happy person.My children don't know the new me.Do others feel like this.I was told 7 months ago how bad I was.Thank you'll for reAding this.

6 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I might suggest you put some questions to this Forum.

Be prepared for some VERY forthright answers though - But they do know what they are talikng about in the main.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/19449002400/

Improving the Spirometry reading is not possible for most sufferers but it depends entirely what the cause of youi problem is. Ask on COPD UK

• Posted

This is from myself i.e fedup2.Can't sleep again,are there others like me.I may get 1-2 hours and then  wide awake.This is night after night,when I get so tired about once a week I take a tablet and would get about 5-6 hours.It is harder at night as everything looks worse.Thank god for tv and head phones.Again thank you for reading this and I would appreciate any suggestions.Night  night to thoes who can and welcome to thd club to thoes who can't.
    • Posted

smile I'm the same fedup,although I take a sleeper,I still lay there for about two hours before I drop off,then fall asleep,only to be awake again couple of hours later I have restless legs,(comes with the Fibromyalgia I suffer with ) plus the tightness in chest and pain between shoulder blades...so I then take a paracetomol,I'm already on Morphine patches,5mg which is supposed to help the Osteoarthritis in my hands and feet,plus knee joints.

Breathing alot easier today though,have been on the Seretide and Spiriva just over a week now.

Take care,hope today will be a good one for you.smile

• Posted

The diet change has helped me immensely.  Night and day difference in 2 weeks.  Don't eat nothing white!  Eat fruit and veggies.... No candy.  I've read about cannabis paste also.  There are different kinds of hemp oil.  Hemp seed oil and Hemp oil that is made from the whole plant, which is the one that works I think. 
    • Posted

Hi.Thank you,Iwill try the diet and hope I get the same difference ad you.Don't know if I would be able to find Hemp oil,but I will try diet first.Thanks for help.Take care of yourself.
    • Posted

Hi fedup2 here..left update on site.How are you..plesse let me knoe.
  • Posted

fedup2 back again.Yesterday I went to my doctor as I was very down.He has put me on Ducoxetine 60mg.Has anyone been on these and were they any good? Would not give me sleeping tabletd as ge said they could put you to sleep and not  wake up.Thanks and Take care.
    • Posted

Did you try that facebook site Fedup2?

• Posted

Hi ,yes I looked but it seems to me that my nsme will be seen.I know this may seem crazy but I don't want that.Am I correct?I like this site as nobody knows it is me and therefore I can say all the stuff I can't say to family.Thanking you for your text,take care of yourself.
    • Posted

Hi hope you are ok.fefup2 here..left updatevon my site

let me know how you are.

• Posted

How are you doing? I've been thinking about you alot. My test results have all come back ok so far but i know this thing will get me in the end, all i can do is wait. Am so sorry you're suffering. If i could take it away i would
    • Posted

Hi Wendy 19977,do kind of you to  e-mail again,I was not great and went to my Doctor ,not my consultant but my G.P who is a lovely man,but also an honest one.I mentioned that I could not sleep and he said ax my lungs are so bad he could not give me slerping tablets as it would be to dangerous.He also did not wanf to give fluid retention tablets,but felt I needed anti depression tabs.This was not what I wanted but did agree that I needed something to help me .I have started them but he says it will take 2 wedks to start working.So delighted for you that all your results came back ok.Listen sometime can be a very long way away,I thinkyou are one of the lucky ones,if you keep  away from cigarettes anc do the right things like exercise and diet as suggested on this site
    • Posted

Hit wrong button.Apologies,As i was saying you are in a great position.Please enjoyvevery day and thank you for thinking of me.Take care of yourself and hope when I go back to Consultant on Jund 12th to re do pulmonary tests that I have stayed around 32% and have not reached stage 4.If this happens it will be good,ax by then I hope I will be abld to be in a better place.Always thought I was stronger than I have turned out to be.Thanks again and I am so hapoy for you.Take care.
    • Posted

Hello fedup2...how are you doing ? I'm due to see my consultant again on the 25th of this month (May) I have cut down on smoking,and reduced the amount of tobacco I put into my ciggy (roll ups)........................I know...I should stop smoking altogether.....but and this is not an excuse,but a truthful fact.........I am shamefully addicted...sad

I find now I am on these inhalers...Seretide 500,Spiriva,Subutimol ,the back of my throat is sore,and the inside of my mouth,do you,or anyone else find this happens...

My doctor gives me sleepers,"Zopiclone" lowest dose 3.75 mg (one at night)

Just want to add....

I have finally excepted my condition,and know that I have bought this illness on myself,53 years is a long time to have smoked...I was fifteen when I started...

Anyways nuff about me...hope your ok,take care of you...thinking of you.x hugs..

• Posted

Hi poppysocks, I found inhalers give me thrush, so now I am careful to rinse, not always with water as thats a bit boring .. find brandy serves well . . not too much now ... good luck . 
    • Posted

Jay,I rinse every time I have used my inhalers day and night I brush my teeth first,after inhayling...then a good gargle rinse with the water...,can't afford the Brandy..biggrin
    • Posted

OK,  then use salt water or bicarbonate of soda, been using this for years as I dont like the chemical muck in toothpaste, You could even use coke, that will sting out the soreness, works for me. 
    • Posted

Hi poppysocks1,having good days and bad days,so glad you have cut down on the cigs.Please don't say you brought the illness on yourself as all thoes years ago,just like me,there was no word about how bad it was for us.So far I am not having any trouble with my mouth,maybe I have that to look forward to!! I do rince after all inhalers,must try wine!.You are lucky your Doc gave you tablets as I would love a good nights sleep but my Doc won't give them.Must try him again.Do take care and thanks for hug.xx
    • Posted

Out of the millions of people who once smoked we are the unlucky ones who ended up with this dreadful condition........please don't beat yourself up about it....it's happened & now we have to manage it. Ask questions, go online & find out everything you can & then take what works for you.  Managed properly we can live for many years with a good quality of life. Mouthwash is good to take after your inhalers
    • Posted

Just after telling you all that I always rinse out mouth after inhaling,plus cleaning teeth..............

I now have Oral thrush,  cryam being treated with NYSTAN four times a day...

I have stopped all of my inhalers,and I am waiting to see my consultant on Friday next at the hospital...

I am wondering if there is any other drug he can put me on instead of these inhalers..anyone know,or am I hoping for a mirical,that will not be forth coming ?

If I go back on the inhalers will I get thrush again...these are the questions I shall be asking him next week...

Take care all. smile

• Posted

inhalers with steroid use to give me thrush also. My new Dr gave me a prescription for an inhaler with steroid  to use with a spacer. I no longer get thrush.
    • Posted

Hi..how are you..fefup2 here..have postef update on my site.please let me know

• Posted

Morning poppysocks1

If you can't afford brandy  do not worry- here are some other alternatives which might help, you could also try drinking some cranberry juice if you like cranberry juice & if you haven't tried it it's worth a try or you could take a big spoon of honey not the teaspoon but the next size up or live natural yogurt any of these after each time of taking your inhalers & rinsing might bring you relief, I find cranberry helps very well for me it helps prevent thrush but might not work for everyone no harm trying though these are just suggestions but I hope you can try some & see for your self if any help with your symptoms off sore throat & mouth,Iwillbe intrested in knowing if it helps you or anyone else aswell!? goodluck!smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.