Can't get over my asymmetric face... making me suicidal.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, since I was about 14 I've noticed asymmetry in my face, starting with my nose and then as I grew older I realised it's actually my whole body - the right side, the whole right side, looks less developed than the left. For instance, the right side of my nose is slightly larger, with more cartilage, my right ear is thinner, my right ankle is weaker, basically all the bones and muscle on the right side of my body is weaker and less defined than my left side, which is defined well and is very strong. Even my cheekbones are different.

I've managed so far to deal with this, even though it's been with me for ever, it's my body! But now it's starting to grab hold of me again. I start thinking that I am not 'whole', that I am not a human being, that I'm deformed and look like a monster. That my genes are flawed and that people are looking at me from everywhere. I am horribly self-conscious, and I try to avoid looking people in the eye. I sometimes look at them only to see if they can detect my asymmetric features and will suddenly look frightened or scared. I feel that I can never be genuinely loved because of my flawed body, lack of symmetry. It has led me to self-harm and suicidal thoughts enter my head every day. In fact, I constantly wish I was dead, and imagine myself hanging from a tree.

I don't know how long i can live with this anymore. It's like a curse. When I sit down, I slump to the right a bit because my body is weaker on that side. I often cannot breathe in my right nostril, the side of my nose that is wider than the left side. I know there is a problem running through my whole body, as just recently I had a Xray scan of my gums. The left wisdom tooth is coming up in a perfect vertical direction. The right one is still buried below, and angled about 45 degrees into the root of my other tooth. It will never come up. Similarly, oh I could go on. I really hate this, I hate it so much but I just live every day and try to forget about it.

I want to know if you met me in real life, would this bother you? I know some people are more obsessed with appearance than others, and some may notice flaws in appearances more than others. I want to know if it will bother you, if it will cause you to dislike me even if you like my character and personality. Sometimes I feel I am different from my family, my mum and brother, who have no asymmetric deviation to the extent I have. I feel sometimes that they think of me as a monster, that they hate me for my inability to grow properly. Please help me.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have the same thing with my face. My right eye higher then left. Even my tooth. I had to do a sergery to take it out because it it was growing with 45 degrees angle. I think assimetry comes from teeth. My lover jaw turned right a little bit. I also had a strabismus all my childhood, may be this is the reason. Nothing can be done exept jaw sergery, which is extreme. I did braces, it helped. I am a femail and I dont care about this much. Nobody ever told me anything about this. I am marryed and I never had problems with guys. Right now, there are some non surgical ways to make your face more simmetrical like Injections or feelings. Hope this will help you and love yourself!
  • Posted

Omg! I feel exactly the same. I have crooked teeth hence longer jaw. One of my eyes pops out which is noticeable. My Adams apple is shifted right. One of my shoulders is lower. I have receding hairline on the right side. None of my parents nor my brother have asymmetries like me. I am 26 old Indian male. I have been single my whole life. No one understands how I feel, even my parents. I'm obsessed with science especially biology. Symmetrical people always have advantage in life, women even orgasm more to procure gene from those men. Nature's harsh, even your own mother cares less for a disabled child true in humans too. These things and a lot more, makes suicidal thoughts often but I somehow escape reality by keeping up with Aquarium hobby, movies, games etc. Been an introvert shy from my childhood days. I just exist.

• Posted

This reply is waiting to be moderated

We sometimes need to review content before it’s published to make sure it meets the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.