Can't recall such discomfort and pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had my second knee totally replaced 5 weeks ago (age 77) and cannot recall so nuch discomfort the first time round.There was some early infection (antibiotics) and exercise regime seem to be o.k., but the wound is still rather red and I cannot get pain free except when the kee is rested up and then of course it gets stiff, vicious circle. My foot is also stiff and inflexible. Night time is the worst as cannot get comfortable on my back with legs straight. Day time pain relief is basically paracodol and morphine at night. The swelling is to be expected but hinders every effort. Am, I being impatient - 2 hips 2 knees in 5 years is a real bind !!

Surgeon says walk, walk but easier said than done as we all know.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi David, our bodies & brains are very good at forgetting what the pain was like. As a midwife I often heard women say they couldn't remember the pain of labour, until it started again with the next one. Then they remembered! 

I had both knees done at once 10 weeks ago & my left is fantastic. Not so my right which is probably 2 weeks behind

• Posted

Isn't that odd how one knee responds so differently? My right had more issues too. But then I realized I had a tendency to cross the right ankle over the left when sitting on the bed. Possibly the reason. I've overcome that urge.
  • Posted

Also important is massaging your knee several times a day to prevent/break up scar tissue. Before exercising is a good time, and drink lots of water. Good luck.
  • Posted

I am only 57 and I can't imagine having this op in my 70's as it is indeed hard going.  You are however only 5 weeks and my friends aunt had hers done last year and couldnt' manage for 3 months, now she is flying round the place.  Do your exercises if at all poss and walk as much as you can.  Listen to your body if you feel tired then stop.  Little and often is the best. good luck.  I am two and half weeks over mine so early stages for me too but i get fed up too. lol
    • Posted

thank you, I will look forward to flying round again as I used to. Good luck with your recovery, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.