Can't ride a stationery exercise bike after TKR

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi. I'm nearly 6 weeks post TKR. I'm doing well with walking and can drive my car again, albeit with care and short journeys. Went to a physiotherapy gym session a couple of days ago and the treadmill and other appartus were fine. However, I cannot turn a full cycle on the exercise bike. My knee is at 70% and should ideally be 90% but this was the first physio session I've had since the operation. Knee is still stiff and quite hard. Anyone else having or had this experience with bending the knee. Others at the gym session could bend their knee better but had difficulty using the treadmill! A bit disappointed about this.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry about spelling mistake. Should have been stationary!
  • Posted

Try this and see if it helps. Get on the bike that's set properly. With the leg that was operated on push the peddle to the top as far as. You can hold doc. Holding to a count of 10 and then reverse the rotation and do the same thing. I t will take a little while but you should break loose going backwards 1st an soon after go forwards.
  • Posted

I agree with OFG, do this but it takes time.  It's a grat feeling when you do that whole rotation though.
  • Posted

I managed to cycle backwards at my second physio session but was able to go forwards at my third. That was at 5wks post op. I have a good bend now, 105 but still cannot fully straighten my leg. 7wks post op. 
  • Posted

Surprised this is your first physio session at 6 weeks. I started going to physio as soon as I was discharged from hospital.

Had TKR 3 years ago.

I never rode an exercise bike at physio just did other exercises.

I took me quite a time to get to 90 degrees and just managed it when I went back to consultant for 6 weeks check up.

It does get better, honestly, I promise.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xx

• Posted

I'm 13 weeks post op (new plastic knee cap, metal trochlea behind it) and 4 days after op I tried static exercise bike (where you sit on dining room chair and pedal little bike!). I cud only gently (very, very gently) rock backwards and forwards a little. At 3 weeks I cud do full revolution. However at physio at hospital at 8 weeks post op, on full size exercise bike, I was nearly sick after doing full revolution and when asked to try cross trainer I looked like Bambi on ice lol! Then at 11 weeks I managed it, and on the strength of this I purchased a full size static exercise from Argos - a Davina McCall bike (the seat on it is very female friendly if you get my meaning lol!) I'm now 13 weeks post op and use it daily - my knee is still very stiff and I'm trying to build up muscles, which has been my main problem - they've forgotten what to do because I wore a knee support for 11 years prior to op (too young for op before, I'm 56 now). This bike has been my saviour as it really loosens up my knee without any weight impact on it. I've got 110° bend, and knee can fully straighten.

Don't be disappointed, take your time. Yes, some days (every day in fact!) you think "blimey, what have I done?" - we've all thought that. Some recover/heal quicker than others. I've just had first morning today where I think I've felt a glimpse ofmy knee feeling a bit more normal, tomorrow I may think different, but there's not much I can do about it and its taken me a while to get my head round this. The knee controls you, not the other way round! And you're far in front of me for driving - I've only managed it this week!

Keep pedalling, gently.......you'll get a yellow jersey eventually!

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information! Very helpful!!

I just had a total knee replacement 3 weeks ago tomorrow (left knee). Had a partial one 10 years ago on my right knee.

I keep thinking I might not be doing enough. I can peddle fully forwards and backwards pretty well, but I still feel very STIFF when I get up to walk around. I take a walk up & down our hallway (condo) 3-4 times a day too & my physio exercises.

• Posted

Agree with all that's been said. I'm 18 weeks post and still can't manage this effectively as I'm waiting further surgery. My bend is 80 degrees and extension is -30. You will be able to cycle backwards first. Point your toes towards the floor and this will make it easier to get the full rotation. I've been advised that the bend is easier to improve than straightening so just keep trying.
  • Posted

hi yes with the bike you do need 90%to turn it full circle,i had the same problem its so frustrating to watch others turning the pedels no problem .it used to drive me crazy and no matter how i tried i could not do it .that is the point when you have either look at having MUA or if you can get your physio to help you get more of a bend  yourself also i was told in the hospital not to use a treadmill so just goes to show different ways of doing things ,what ever you do about your bend dont give up on it being stiff and hard is not quiet right make sure you get it going or you will have more trouble down the road good luck
  • Posted

Exactly my problem!  I have reached the guidy heights of 9 minths on and this week an attempt at MUA.  Doc abandoned it as pressure so hard he thought my leg would break.  I have gone through layers of emotions but settled on putting up with the mobility 

i have and pain minimal.

best wishes

carol, Scotland

• Posted

carol what bend are you left with and why didnt he go in keyhole to cut scar tissue so that he could bend it without breaking it  i know this because i had it done but i must say i was in alot of pain at the time
    • Posted

Oh Linda I am so dissapointed with the surgeon, its like he doesnt want to know me as 

I am not a success story.  He thinks I might get 90 with lots of physio.  He does not want a follow up from Thursday on his report, no mention of why the bend is not happening.

i went to get a second opinion and the consultant just phoned my first guy and said I should go back to him!  

Feeling disguarded.

carol

• Posted

ya i know they only want to see you again when your a sucess  i was in the same boat as you and i wouldnt take no for an answer i was going private so i felt if im not happy im going to find a surgeon who will give me a chance of a normal life without a limp or pain  so thank god i did he told me he could not see anything wrong with xrays but said he would do a revision  when he did the revision he said that alignment was slightly off and kneecap had to be resurfaced so that told him i was right that it was a failed knee  its disgusting that they washed their hands of you i feel for you
  • Posted

Hi 2 Dode,

I understand that feeling of disappointment. I had bilateral TKR's 16 weeks ago and was able to use the exercise bike getting a full rotation at 2 weeks. On the other hand, I'm still not able to use a treadmill effectively because I still have a little limp on the left side. PT says I will develop bad habits now using it now. I still walk outside though. It's just a very long process. Most people including myself I think make progress slowly. You have say what was I able to do 2 or 3 weeks ago....write it down. I found that I was a happier person not looking for progress daily. Regarding the stationary bike, listen to oldfatguy with his technique to get a revolution..,you will get there!

• Edited

I'm almost 6 weeks too and although my bend is 90, there is no way I can do a full revolution on the exercise bike!  I just keep going backwards and forwards and listen to all the advice on here.  

We're obviously all very different and some days I feel up or down, but today I've got the mindset that I don't care - as long as I get there in the end and I keep doing the exercises and ice!   I don't feel ready to try and drive yet either, so you're doing good there and you'll get there in the end with the bike - probably before me!

• Edited

You have the right attitude, we doall get there in the end.  One week I was able to do full rotation and then next week I couldnt.  I do think emphasis on doing this, that and the other is too much.   We all get there at our own pace.   Don't judge yourself by others either.   I am six months and still have problems with bend and stiffness.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.