Can't ride a stationery exercise bike after TKR

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi. I'm nearly 6 weeks post TKR. I'm doing well with walking and can drive my car again, albeit with care and short journeys. Went to a physiotherapy gym session a couple of days ago and the treadmill and other appartus were fine. However, I cannot turn a full cycle on the exercise bike. My knee is at 70% and should ideally be 90% but this was the first physio session I've had since the operation. Knee is still stiff and quite hard. Anyone else having or had this experience with bending the knee. Others at the gym session could bend their knee better but had difficulty using the treadmill! A bit disappointed about this.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Don't be disppointed every one different, I am seven weeks can just only just turn exercise wheel  but pleased, I am 100 bend but knee won't go flat, but my knee is still very uncomfortable. Sitting and in bed, I take pain Relev  but nothing helps any answers or help out there, it wast fine a week ago but this week driving me nuts, 
  • Posted

I am 12 weeks post TKR on right knee.I started driving 7-8 weeks, can walk pretty good, feel good but not a lot of energy. I cannot turn a full cycle on the exercise bike because I have extreme pain in the right hip.My extension is 10% and flexion is between 98-105%. Going up steps is ok but going down is painful in the right hip and it goes up.I have been doing p/t 4-5 days a week since surgery and now will go to 3 times a week because of insurance.  Would really like to solve this problem, anyone have any ideas?
    • Posted

Might be worth re posting as a new discussion as people more likely to respond as the original post is a couple of years old.

Lack of energy is crazy! Eat lots of food rich in iron!

• Posted

When I say crazy, I mean, I relate to it and it is extreme! Remember it well! Seven months post op now. Well worth all the earlier effort!
    • Posted

Hi great to speak to someone about the same in 13 weeks post op   12/7/17 staed back to work Thursday 12 Sept half days going upstairs ok ish but my phisio says my knee is not strong enough to take my weight coming down stairs like in the very beginning taking it very easy after about  1.5 standing need to sit and rest knee how about you?? im 58 not very fit also before the op i had a lot of muscle wastage according to the Surgeon but  about the same as you 105  degrees  last Tuesday in hydrotherapy pool
  • Posted

Hi i am 13 weeks post op TKR   12th july 2017 i cant ride a bike sitting down i can standing up though for not long to painfull
  • Posted

Hello Fellow TKR-  I just had my second TKR four weeks ago.  My first one was 4 1/2 years ago, but this time, I had a lot more trauma to my knee and knee cap.  The first time, I did it to maintain an active lifestyle and was a total rock star on my PT and getting back into hiking and other activities.  That is, until I did too much and started to have problems.  Lesson learned.

This time, I promised to take it slower and at 4 weeks out am hitting some good marks, but my recovery has been really rough physically and mentally.  I have had crying jags and doubts, so I appreciate the camaraderie of these boards.

As far as using a stationary bike to dode-

I completed my first full revolution at 3 1/2 weeks and it made me cry I was so happy.  The pain and swelling of my knee was so extreme I was worried that something was really wrong.  Anyway, I started out doing half revolutions and counting to 30.  When I got to 22 that time, I noticed that I was getting close to the top on the reverse.  I think I started hyperventilating!  By 30 I had completed both forward and back.  The next time it took me a couple of half revolutions to get started again, but now when I get on I am successful from the start.

For anyone who is going through this, please try to find a balance between pushing yourself to gains in PT, but not so much that you are doing damage.  I am still trying to find that sweet spot myself.

Good joint health all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.