Can't see after cataract surgery

Posted , 17 users are following.

I had cataract surgery in my right eyes 3 weeks ago and my monofocal lense was set for distance. I was told before the surgery that I would possibly need to wear readers. Well I have noticed that immediately after the surgery and to this day, that I still can not see the regular print and small print on various things, even with readers on. I tried like 4 different power readers and everything is still supper blurry. I see fine with distance but everything close up is bad. I can't see the computer well and cooking is a challenge for me with the readers. I suppose to have my other eye done on dec 8 and im nervous. My surgeron wants to make that eye set at intermediate. I don't know if it should. Should i get a second opinion? By the way I was told i had some of the worst cataracts my doc have seen and i was legally blind in both eyes without glasses before the surgery. But when i when to my next day post op, he said my vision in the operated eye was now 20/30.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you need significant astigmatism correction then over the counter readers won’t work but prescription readers will do fine.  If that Eye is 20/30 at distance however you ought to be able to get that kind of vision at near. If you are worried about it your surgeon should be explaining the reason why the readers don’t work at near in order to relieve your worry
    • Posted

Discomfort in the eye with decreasing vision sometimes is endophthalmitis and your surgeon should see you as soon as you call in. Waiting for an appointment to open is not normal if you have pain redness and decreased vision.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.