Can't stop humming!

Posted , 27 users are following.

Put this under neurological as don't know where else to post it. I find myself constantly coming out with a repetitive (same few notes) hum. I think it first started when I would be finishing an arduous task but now it is frequent through the day - almost like a sort of crutch/mantra. Last week I nipped into the dentist's loo just before an appointment and realised I had been at it again. Which was embarrassing as there was someone waiting outside.

Any techniques for dealing with this? I want to stop!

4 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have the same problem. I started this repetitive humming, usually the same 3-5 notes, over and over again about 6-months ago. When I realuze I'm doing this it annoys me and I try to hum a real tune. I wonder how loud I am doing this, and can coworkers hear me. I mainly do this at work.

Is this anxiety or a symptom of something else, such as, PSP or dementia?

I wish I could stop.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I sure hope it is not a symptom of dementia! I am going to try self hypnosis.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

Chris, would you mind telling me how old you are? Maybe it is normal for our age group. I talked to my sister about it and she said I was making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Have you talked to anyone about it?
    Report Reply
  • Posted

I am trying to think who could help you with this kind of thing, perhaps a hypnotherapist might be your best bet, I know they can be very helpful with quitting smoking, phobias and many other things so perhaps this subconscious and compulsive type behaviour could fall within their remit. Best wishes
    Report Reply
  • Posted

This is what worked for me. No did not cure it completely but it stops it and I enjoy the break until its set off again and  I repeat.

it was an accident? But a new friend I had just made listens to jazz and opera. He had it at a decent volume. So it caught my attention with out knowing. And all sudden i realized i wasnt humming ..could not hum. It like cut it off or mixed me up and I was so thrilled. 

Report Reply
  • Posted

Not sure if you are still following this discussion but I did research in this area and believe it is a result of Tourette Syndrome.  I do not know of any treatment but I have read that it can increase and decrease with stress.  Yes, co-workers can usually hear you humming and though you many know the tune you are humming, they usually just hear mumbling or incoherent humming.  Only recommendation I can make is to try and make light of it and emphasize that humming is a happy trait.  Good luck.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

Isn't humming akin to talking to yourself?  Doesn't seem pathological, just mindless ( which is perfectly ok...).  I talk, hum, sing, etc., all the time and crack myself up.  Everybody has had that song or tune they just cannot get out of their head, perhaps that is you.  I do think mindless noises are a way for us to think differently or perhaps figuring out a problem after a snooze.  Laugh and just tell everyone you are the entertainment.  If it the only symptom you have, I doubt it's life threatening.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

I have PD and since on my meds i have had a singing compulsion. i start singing even without realizing i am doing it and stop but do the same thing again repeatedly. I get on my own nerves at times....I am reducing the strength of my meds  because i am noticing other probs too. Maybe this is not helpful but i thought i would just log it  in case
    Report Reply
  • Posted

There are certainly drugs that can cause compulsions.  Remember, they are affecting your brain and side effects can vary widely.  If it bothers you too much, I would talk to your PD doc or look up all your meds and see if the humming/singing is a side effect of any of them separately or together.  I have hummed and sung most of my life (to myself) and everybody laughs but I think somehow it keeps me laughing, too, so I just go with it!  Sometimes I think we do things unconsciously to give our brain a chance to work out solutions we have not come up with, yet.  That may not be the case for you, however, and if is really that bothersome, see your doc.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

My dad lived with us for seven years before he passed. I was not aware of humming until the three weeks he was in Hospice before he died. I hummed over and over, but did not know the words. While he was in a coma like stage, he began to sing the words to my tune. I still contine to hum two years later, but I do not recognize I am doing it. My family considers it "sweet," but I am concerned.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I have been humming incessantly for several years now & it has just about ruined my singing voice . A speech therapist confirmed my suspicion that I have lost a lot of volume & control of my voice because of the humming . I have been trying to stop myself for over a year and I can only do so much. I was hoping someone had made progress with this issue??

Report Reply
  • Posted

For about a year or more ive been humming quietly and at a low level. I feel i may be stressed and find it helpful though others dont they find it annoying and tell me to stop. One of my friends said she found it quite creepy. So i have been making an attempt to stop it but its difficult. People are rude and it upsets me and obviously others apart from my grand daughter who thinks its funny and copies me. I feel a freak by other peoples comments. How should i react to their criticisms
    Report Reply
  • Posted

I have had persistent depression for over 25 years, and I’ve been on numerous antidepressants, most of which didn’t work or stopped working.  Two years ago my doctor put me on 50 mg of Pristiq. It didn’t really help, so he increased the dosage to 100 mg per day. I’ve always been susceptible to getting songs stuck in my head, but shortly after I increased Pristiq to 100 mg, I started humming to myself, the same few bars of a song my daughter was practicing on her horn. It’s been over a year and I’m still humming the same song. I have not mentioned it to my psychiatrist because for the first time in my whole adult life I feel happy and almost normal on this med at this dosage, and I fear he may want to change it if I tell him. I’m also a little concerned because probably 10 years before my father was diagnosed with dementia, he began humming. At the time I didn’t think it was related to his dementia; now I’m not certain. He was never depressed and never took any psychotropic drugs. It’s bothering me more and more, so I feel compelled to ask my doctor. I’ll post an update on this after my next appointment with him. 
    Report Reply
  • Posted

I also have the same, i have the tendency of humming songs and tunes in my head and sometimes people realize without me noticing am doing it. Like today during lunch with colleagues at work, one of the asked me "do you always humm while eating?" before i could respond another responded that i am always humming. The thing is i dint dint realize it untill i was asked. this is not the first time someone has commented about it, i am now wondering if it is a neuralogical disorder. please someone with insite and some sort of explanation advice

Report Reply
    • Posted

The only neurological problem I have (that I know of) is migraines. I've had them since I was 16, and I'm 49 now.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up