Can't stop humming!

Posted , 66 users are following.

Put this under neurological as don't know where else to post it. I find myself constantly coming out with a repetitive (same few notes) hum. I think it first started when I would be finishing an arduous task but now it is frequent through the day - almost like a sort of crutch/mantra. Last week I nipped into the dentist's loo just before an appointment and realised I had been at it again. Which was embarrassing as there was someone waiting outside.

Any techniques for dealing with this? I want to stop!

10 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I have been humming incessantly for several years now & it has just about ruined my singing voice . A speech therapist confirmed my suspicion that I have lost a lot of volume & control of my voice because of the humming . I have been trying to stop myself for over a year and I can only do so much. I was hoping someone had made progress with this issue??

• Posted

For about a year or more ive been humming quietly and at a low level. I feel i may be stressed and find it helpful though others dont they find it annoying and tell me to stop. One of my friends said she found it quite creepy. So i have been making an attempt to stop it but its difficult. People are rude and it upsets me and obviously others apart from my grand daughter who thinks its funny and copies me. I feel a freak by other peoples comments. How should i react to their criticisms
  • Edited

I have had persistent depression for over 25 years, and I’ve been on numerous antidepressants, most of which didn’t work or stopped working.  Two years ago my doctor put me on 50 mg of Pristiq. It didn’t really help, so he increased the dosage to 100 mg per day. I’ve always been susceptible to getting songs stuck in my head, but shortly after I increased Pristiq to 100 mg, I started humming to myself, the same few bars of a song my daughter was practicing on her horn. It’s been over a year and I’m still humming the same song. I have not mentioned it to my psychiatrist because for the first time in my whole adult life I feel happy and almost normal on this med at this dosage, and I fear he may want to change it if I tell him. I’m also a little concerned because probably 10 years before my father was diagnosed with dementia, he began humming. At the time I didn’t think it was related to his dementia; now I’m not certain. He was never depressed and never took any psychotropic drugs. It’s bothering me more and more, so I feel compelled to ask my doctor. I’ll post an update on this after my next appointment with him. 
  • Edited

I also have the same, i have the tendency of humming songs and tunes in my head and sometimes people realize without me noticing am doing it. Like today during lunch with colleagues at work, one of the asked me "do you always humm while eating?" before i could respond another responded that i am always humming. The thing is i dint dint realize it untill i was asked. this is not the first time someone has commented about it, i am now wondering if it is a neuralogical disorder. please someone with insite and some sort of explanation advice

• Posted

The only neurological problem I have (that I know of) is migraines. I've had them since I was 16, and I'm 49 now.

• Edited

I also have Migraines and also hum! I wonder if there is a connection between the two ?

• Edited

I too cannot humming and have migraines....constant migraines. I've searched for years for a possible reason to the humming, as unfortunately it does bother a few of my loved ones & I have tried, desperately, to stop. I have no idea I'm doing it, but I have seen a correlation with my humming and the intensity of my migraines. The worse the migraine the more intensity of the humming. I am going to discuss this with my neurologist & see if she knows of a correlation. My humming started a little after starting getting migraines regularly; 10 years. I have been on a ton of medications over the years because of a autoimmune illness, but according to all the doctors, humming isn't something that usually happens with the different meds I've taken/been taking.

The only other ideas a therapist once gave me for the humming was, stress and slight PTSD. I wont go into why I have PTSD, but I have a slight case and she thinks, that I am slightly triggered throughout each day and the humming helps sooth my nerves.

• Posted

My boyfriend has migraines, and he has times when he hums and makes strange little noises. I asked him when I first met him if something was bothering him, and why he was humming, but he didn't seem to know he was doing it. Since then, I've noticed it seems to happen more when he's frustrated or stressed, or needs a break from the exterior world and its people, at least I think. I think it is soothing to him, so it's not hurting me. I just don't understand it completely.

• Edited

I was both surprised and concerned to find that I'm not alone in the humming problem. I too started humming about 6 months ago. At first, the tune was not familiar to me. I found myself repeating it over and over again all day and sometimes adding new notes. I have tried not to do it and sometimes can stop. I'm very embarrassed by it. If I'm listening to the t.v. or radio I will sometimes pick up a jingle or song without realizing it and then it gets stuck for hours. My husband asked me if I was aware of doing it one night while cleaning the kitchen. I find myself humming more if I am focusing on a task. Doing the laundry, vacumning, etc. When I was young, my friends and I used to make fun of this elderly lady who hummed the same tune over and over. It's not so funny now. My husband has gone from amused to just short of rude. He now shouts at me to "stop humming" whenever he catches me. I'm hoping it helps. Just curious, do any of you have any other neurological issues?

• Edited

Hello, I wonder if you figured out why you have started humming yet? Your account is exactly what I am going through. About 10 months ago my humming started. I noticed it only because I could not recognize the repetitive tune. It is the same tune over and over all day long. It is driving me crazy! Literally, I feel.

I recently had to take a couple of plane trips and boy oh boy was that hard on me. I had to keep reminding myself each time I heard the first note that I must remain quiet and not overwhelm the folks sitting so close to me. Everyone who knows me has made reference to it. No one cares for it because it is just a tune that does not develop.

What I can tell you is that I got off of depression medication about the same time this started. I wanted to get off the medication to see if I could make it, live a happy life without them, and move on with my life. The issue is that I never found happy, and I am not happy and I do feel very alone. Not lonely; however, just alone.

I don't know if the humming is trying to provide some type of comfort. And if it is - it is failing miserably. I am sharing this because I don't see that anyone in this forum has shared that they are also currently experiencing aloneness or depression, which may be the problem. More importantly, I have also noticed I am finding it extremely difficult to hold conversations. What about you? Its like my brain has stopped processing thoughts. Seriously! I am always praying I am not invited into a conversation because I feel I have noting to add or say that would be of any value only because I cannot think and pull my past experiences up. I need help, but this would require a medical person to actually care enough to help locate the issues that may be going on within me, and of course this may be very time consuming. Decided to write my experience here just in case someone is doing a project or case study. I'd love to be included.

I worry that something bigger is happening within the brain that actually could be helped now. Hope someone reading this can send me/us in the right direction for help, assistance or support. All I do know is humming is not all about being happy and joyous! There is another type of humming that can be the total opposite and I believe that is what we are describing. Thank you and take care of you

• Posted

I asked my psychiatrist if he'd ever heard of this and he said no. He did drop me down from 100 mg of Pristiq to 50 mg, but it didn't help the humming and it made my depression worse. He suggested maybe seeing a neuropsychiatrist, which I may do after I've met my deductible this year.

• Edited

Thanks for sharing your experiences and fears. Something we may have in common is the alone time, but no it doesn't mean loneliness. I do not believe that we are meant to be islands unto ourselves, but sometimes it's how we end up due to our circumstances. Almost all of my work & personal time is spent alone and that may be why the humming started. I think it may help me focus on the task at hand, by muffling out the sounds around me, and it just took over. Oddly enough after I wrote about it on here, it stopped for a long time. Now I am singing words more than just humming, but thats not much better. I would say it has a lot in common with talking to yourself because I do that all the time. I think that stems from talking to my dogs, but no matter the reasons behind it all, I am who I am and I am just glad that I am aware of it at least. Depression runs in my family, and I have had bouts of it throughout my life, I don't want to take meds for it. Prayer is what gets me through. I am 56 and life has taught me that when I struggle within I should focus on others and it goes away.

Humming may be more about self preservation than just an annoyance , so try embracing it and see if it helps.

• Edited

Thank you so much for your update and the information. I too will look into seeing a neuropsychiatrist, as well. wishing you well!

• Posted

Thank you! I Appreciate you sharing. l'll keep you posted. aimz1969 mentioned seeing a neuropsychiatrist. Someone worth seeing, i think. please keep me posted and ill do the same for you. Wishing you happiness.

• Posted

I have noticed myself humming in the past few months. I'm on psychiatric medicines and wondered if it was a result of being on these. But after reading your share, I think you might be onto something regarding feeling alone. I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist about it at the next appointment.

• Posted

Hi there. I have the same feelings you describe. i have been humming the same two songs for about 10 years. At least that's when I first noticed it. Not even songs I ever liked. I have been off and on depression meds for 20 years or so. Doctors don't have an explanation nor do they seem concerned. I don't like the feeling that I can't control my brain - like there's a man behind the curtain.

• Posted

Molly, I understand. So far I have not gotten any definitive answer to my question. I will be seeing another MD in September.

• Edited

just finished reading your post and thought it was very smart to include additional information that had not been brought up yet. I have chronic pain and have been suffering with chronic back and leg pain since 2001 following a car accident. I had cervical surgery which was wonderful and then I had lumbar surgery and it did not turn out as well. I was on three different antidepressant medicines at one time and finally weaned myself off of all. my humming started when I was taking them and continued after I quit them. The doctors have recently put me back on two of them and the humming continues. I was in church Sunday and my husband hit me with his elbow and said do you realize you’re humming during the preaching? I was aware of it but mildly so. It’s like five different notes in my head and then a chorus of the same notes Then it repeats over and over and over. This is not a tune I’ve ever heard before it’s just a simple ditty in my head. What I found interesting about your post is I have the same issue with social situations because of the chronic pain I have isolated myself from family and friends I don’t like to leave my house if I go someplace I come quickly back home and back to my bedroom which is my safe zone. when company comes over I don’t know what to talk about I am afraid to bring up conversations I have lost my confidence are usually will spend a few minutes with company and then find an excuse to go to the bathroom or my bedroom. I know this is a long post but it’s very important that we try to find out what’s causing these issues. I feel like I have lost myself and I don’t feel sad, I am frustrated at my situation. Any help or advice is appreciated I will pray for you.

• Posted

I agree with everything you wrote and am basically living a very similar life! I am 54 ! It must have something to do with either slowing down physically (we are not old but we are not in our 20's either!) or maybe we are social butterflies with no one around to socialize with! I always say I am a one person party and make my own good time wherever I am even when I am all by myself!

• Posted

I feel we have the same thing going on. I work both in and out of my home. I live by myself and enjoy the company of my 3 dogs. I enjoy living alone as I have a stressful job with a lot of customer and people interaction all day long. I recently caught myself humming when I was doing a video on a property I was advertising. How annoying. I am on an anxiety medication but am a very happy and bubbly 60 year old person. I notice the humming more when my mind is at rest.

• Posted

My humming started about 2 weeks after I stopped an antipsychotic Loxapine. The humming is all day every day and it bothers my family. It bothers me, too, as it is not pleasing but exhausting.

My PD has no answers.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing and your honesty. I COMPLETELY agree with everything you posted!! I am suffering along with you. I almost dread waking up, but for a few moments of silence before the humming begins...in the shower this morning I feared I didn't know how much longer I would be able to tolerate it! How could this be "normal?" Why is it happening to me? I would say the constant humming of 3- 5 random notes started 8 weeks ago or so. Before that, I hummed, but not like this. Now, I can't stop. There is no silence. It bothers others. It bothers me. It is completely exhausting. I think my brain eventually exhausts itself and at some point falls asleep at night, but I do know I lie in bed humming until that happens. I am still taking medications, but have wondered if they were causing the humming or not working to control it. I also have had an increase in stress aligning with the 6 week mark, so am wondering if that is why the humming started. But in any event, whenever I try to make it stop, and whatever I do to try and make it stop, nothing works. I worry about talking to my practitioner about it...that she won't understand, or perhaps think I am over reacting. But it is, quite literally, starting to overtake my life. It is preoccupying my thoughts a lot of the time, which detracts from my conversations and work as well...so my attentions are not focused on what they should be, and it is starting to show. So, thank you for sharing and relating....I appreciate your experience and difficulties hippiechick1122 if you see this post 😃.

• Posted

your post sounds exactly what i think about myself doing this over a year now its nit happiness because i do it every waking hour and i have not been happy for over the past year . I have thought it might be a coping thing. My son can hear it although i asked him so now he listens better. Ive never done anything like this before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.