Can't stop thinking about past choices

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys. For the past couple of years I have had problems with constantly thinking about choices I made when I was a teenager and they normally affect my day. I'm CONSTANTLY thinking about and regretting things I did, however these aren't terrible things like, for example, beating up someone, stealing from an elderley person (I didn't do any of those of course). These are the stupidest, smallest things - like what clothes I wore, the way I spoke and what sort of music I listened to. The reason I created this post was because I don't understand why I worry about something so small and think about it so much. Is anybody able to explain why I may feel this way or how I can stop these ridiculous thoughts? Thanks.

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds to me (but i could be wrong) like simply low self-worth and lack of self-reliance. If so, it takes years to build yourself up. I think forever judging by my own experience smile Yes, normal part of growing up for those of us who live life as an afterthough for lack of clarity in early years. Sigh. Luckily for you you became aware of it way earlier than me meaning you are likely to see faster results. Therapy could help. Not because you have a 'mental illness' but because it could help you speed up the process of letting go and focusing your energy on making clear-minded choices. Starting with the next time you choose your clothes for the day, down to how you think before you speak or planning your actions etc. I say...enjoy the process. You are just discovering who you are. Don't take yourself too seriously. And be gentle and honest with yourself first and foremost. Make a plan and train yourself to look ahead instead of behind slowly. No rush. Wishing you a beautiful life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.