Can't straighten leg 5 weeks after TKR

Posted , 66 users are following.

The physios tell me this is normal but the exercises don't seem to make any difference.  Does using an exercise bike help or are there any other suggestions?  Saw the consultant yesterday for a follow-up appointment and he seemed to think that I should be completely pain free by now.  Should I be?  My reaction was that he can't possibly have much post op experience.

3 likes, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Green1 , I am 8 weeks post op now and though I haven't had the problems others have I have seen what they recommended for them in therapy. For straightening they had them do several different things. You can put a heat compress under your knee with ice on top for 15 min. This helps relax the muscles in the back of the knee. Also you can lay on your stomach with your legs off the bed from just above the knee down and let it just hang for about 2 minutes twice a day.Also you may lay on your back with your legs straight up against the wall. As far as your pain, everyone is different. I and a friend had TKR on the same day and though after only 1week out I was pain free, at 7 weeks she was still having a lot of pain. She went to her family doctor who prescribed her some anti-inflammatory drugs to reduced the swelling. After a week she was doing great. I pray this in some way helps you. Keep a positive attitude, because believe it or not, it does get better.

• Posted

I am starting my 7th week, 6th week of PT. I had good results but painful early in PT. Sort of hit the wall the last couple of weeks.

I excisice (routine) 2/3 times a day. Bike 5 Min., foot slide, pressure/push on knee extended, leg lifts. Do others thru out Day.

I can get my leg straight between 1-0, but I can only get to 115 will much pain, 110 without. My problem is swelling.

Any suggestions 

• Posted

Can you let me know what anti-inflammatory drugs the doctor gave your friend. I want to find the least harmful anti- inflammatory drug and you said she saw results right away. Tomorrow is my 8 week mark.  Thanks for your help! 
    • Posted

Was drawn to your post because I, too, struggle with swelling. I had two TKR's and the one had a hematoma. Because of all the scar tissue associated with hematoma's I have had a more difficult recovery. That swelling is so problematic. I find I really need to remain active each day and have started the routine of going to a fitness center to get in some biking, walking, swimming. Living in Minnesota in the winter is tough. My surgeon told me to "pound it" so that's what I try to do. I do not regret having the surgeries but it does take a long time and perseverance. Good luck/

• Posted

I am 23 days post op and yesterday i was feeling really pleased with my progress after seeing the physio. Today however during exercises i couldnt bend my knee even once without excruiciating pain. Very frustrating but not at all unusual if you read this forum. I have had ops on my knee since age 9. My history will be different from another's history but our experiences can be similar. It helps to read other's experiences. There is no "one size fits all" about this op. If you are in pain then barring a major complication which you would have noticed (!) Then your body is not quite ready yet and thats that! You are the best judge. Do what you have been told and let your body tell you what it needs. Good luck.
  • Posted

Keep doing the work and it will come. Be patient; each knee is different. I had more flexion with my first knee by this time but I can walk smoother with this one.  This one had hardware removed and is taking longer. Use ice, simple meds like Aleve or Tylenol, workouts and sex(yes!) To manage pain. Lol hang in there!
  • Posted

In my experience and most others on this forum you are very unlikely to be pain free at 5 weeks - unfortunately! As for the straightening, it too takes a long time. The exercises work but you need to keep doing them. I think the bike is more useful for the bend rather than the straightening. I saw my physio yesterday and she said I was -2degrees. I think 0degrees is completely straight. I'm nearly 23 weeks post op and struggled to get the leg straight for a while. So, you can see it will get there eventually.  Keep at those straightening exercises. Jen 
  • Posted

Someone on this forum gave some good advice for straightening the leg

lay on your stomach with legs over the end of the bed and let gravity take over 

it really is  a great exercise and helped me get my leg straight 

its a very painful exercise so don't push too far too soon 

Jean 

• Posted

I was given this and found it very painful. Physio suggested I do the one sitting on chair with foot on another chair, push down at knee and hold for 30 secs. Also, standing in front of stool, heel on stool and bend from waist until you feel stretch at back of leg and hold for 30 secs. I found these easier and my leg has straightened pretty well eventually. The one on the bed is good if you can tolerate the pain but I've had awful trouble with hamstring pain and this exercise really hurt! Jen (23weeks) 
    • Posted

Definitely gonna try this... I’m so frustrated it won’t straighten, pain and swelling is a big issue. Dosnt give you much motivation 😕

• Posted

It does get better it just takes time for sure and it’s very frustrating and the pain is nothing I have ever felt 
    • Posted

I’m 3 months post op and still can’t straighten.. swelling is still great as well.. my ortho says I’m doing great.. I forgot to ask him about starting low impact yoga or low impact aerobics.. was wondering if any of those might help the straightening 
  • Posted

green -- some surgeons clearly chose the wrong profession in life.  zero empathy, zero personal experience of what it means going through this.  dreadful.

it is very very early days for you.  everybody else on here has given you good pointers.  medicate - elevate - ice.  i never had an issue with the stretch but regularly did the exercises for the stretch and felt they helped the tension in the leg.  my issue was the bend but that has been taken care of in the meantime as well.

britta -- 16, 17 or 18 weeks ... stopped counting!

• Posted

I liked your post- I am at four weeks of tkr and I don't want to go to pt at this time. I am flexing and stretching all day long and really don't want someone handling me. Will start slowly pedaling the bike this week. I think this will be enuf- opinion?

• Posted

You are avoiding the inevitable. Therapists don't generally. handle you", they teach you what and how to do exercises properly for max results. If massage is needed, they will discuss it first and you can make the decision.

• Posted

You will have to work really hard my therapist bent my knee to where I was literally crying like a baby and I am 53 and I thought I was a tough guy till the therapist started bending my knee the pain medicine didn’t work on me and I was taking 2 -10 perkacets at a time and dear god the pain was the WORST THING I HAVE EVER FELT 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.