Can't straighten leg 5 weeks after TKR

Posted , 66 users are following.

The physios tell me this is normal but the exercises don't seem to make any difference.  Does using an exercise bike help or are there any other suggestions?  Saw the consultant yesterday for a follow-up appointment and he seemed to think that I should be completely pain free by now.  Should I be?  My reaction was that he can't possibly have much post op experience.

3 likes, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

When you stop counting weeks you know you are mending! I find that I do short workouts all day long: as I brush my teeth I stand on two legs with even weight distribution and pushing to straighten it and then rock left and right to do just a bit more. I do small squats as I cook in the kitchen. I press to straighten and lift to extend my leg as I read on the lazyboy chair. I hang my leg off a high stool to make gravity flex it further than I can. I lay on my back on my mat and do slow bicycles in the air as I can. I use whatever fills my day to do a bit more than yesterday and sometimes a bit less if I overdo it. There is nothing more important for the quality of the next 30-40 years of my life (my Grandma lived to 101) than my health and mobility and I try to live accordingly. This is working pretty well so far. I am a veteran of recovery and learning how to walk since my teens with 12 or 13 knee surgeries and counting. I intend to bike, xc ski, swim, and hike till the day they put me in a box if possible! 
    • Posted

Well done...that's great advice  and I gope you reach your goal ...in fact with your extermination I know you will 

take care 

Jean 

• Posted

Stupid text ...I meant determination 
  • Posted

I'm 26 weeks post op and still can't straighten my leg and only just weaning myself off painkillers but my consultant says it's very rare but what does anyone know who isn't the patient. Five weeks is very early days.

Lying on your front with your knees dangling off the edge of the bed for 30 mins hurts like hell but help most people but I'm sure this has already been mentioned.

Good luck, be patient - we all have to make our own journey. 

• Posted

Hi Diana

i'm just over 17 weeks and I'm still struggling with this knee

I'm still taking nightime painkiller

i saw my Surgeon and he said the same to me that it's very rare anything goes wrong with the knee

but I think we all know our own bodies and expect help when we need it.

he will see me again in February and if it's still the same he will investigate further

as for dangling your leg off the bed for 30 mins ....Wow ...I can just about manage 5 mins if I'm lucky.

• Posted

That might be a bit much. I was taught to slowly rela x the leg let it hang for 1-2 min, roll to the side relax and repeat 10 x's increasing to 15. Then go directly to my back rolling a towel and put it under my ankle allowing the knee a couple of inches clearance from the bed. Then using the entire leg muscles stretch, tighten and force the knee toward the bed. Hold for 10 count and relax. Do 3 sets o 10 each. The keys, gentle movement, nothing herky-jerky and complete relaxation each time.
    • Posted

same here, I’m 7 weeks out and i can’t dangle my leg for more than 5 min. what exercise helps with this? Out of all the excercises, this is th one i have most difficulty with. 
  • Posted

I had to laugh at the thought of hanging your leg off the bed. My first thought was:how on earth do you get on to your front? Lol. I am using the towel under the ankle method which seems to work well for me. I am not very adventurous!
    • Posted

I just lay on my back, roll over and then sort of snake my way backwards till the knees are where I wanted them. Not something I would wish to have video taped. When I 1st started the excercise it was in an open area of the therapy "gym". When I saw some of the excercise others we doing I decided they were in their own private hell and too busy to watch me

• Posted

I can't seem to roll onto my back after that exercise

so I slide on my stomach until my feet touch the floor then carefully stand up 

not a pretty sight ...biggrin

• Posted

Lay flat on the bed ...roll over on to your stomach then shuffle to edge of bed and dangle your legs over

its quite funny really and I definitely wouldn't want an audience ...lol

• Posted

To we'll under the leg kills me. I can only do it for a minute at a time. I hope that he's me

• Posted

Start slow and small. Hold to count of 5 when you start then slowly work up to 10. Every time you do it, there is a little give.

One other exercise.lay on you back with your head slightly elevated. Roll up a small towel and place it under your ankle so your foot is about 3" off the bed. Very slowly tighten all the muscles in you upper leg. This should force the back of the knee toward the bed. Hold to count of 10 and relax. Repeat 5 times. Gradually increase hold times to 15 and # of reps 10. Again you will gradually feel the back of the knee stretch.

• Posted

Thanks. I would think that even 1 minute frequently is better than nothing. Plus I tried tightening leg muscles how you suggested. Seems like I can do that one. Thanks again for the advice.
    • Posted

Just remember.....SLOW......and steady. Nothing forced and nothing jerky. Slow and smooth. You're correct....little is better than nothing. Every trip starts with the 1st step....same with recovery.

• Posted

what is so funny?  are you saying to use a towel under your knee is better to do than dangle? 

tell me why can’t i sit at a dining room table to eat because the pain on top side of my knee is so excruciating? 

• Posted

Never put anything under the back of the knee and let the leg bend over it. That cuts off blood flow and will create some real issues. You can sit in a chair with your leg bent for short periods of time but don't put anything under the back of the knee for support. I don't know how far post surgery you are but stay with excercies and do whatever it takes to be comfortable. It all takes time to get back to normal.

• Posted

thank you, I’m 7 weeks and finally made it into the city to see a professional PT, my knee is stiff so i have a lot of work to do to bend it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.