Can't straighten leg 5 weeks after TKR

Posted , 66 users are following.

The physios tell me this is normal but the exercises don't seem to make any difference.  Does using an exercise bike help or are there any other suggestions?  Saw the consultant yesterday for a follow-up appointment and he seemed to think that I should be completely pain free by now.  Should I be?  My reaction was that he can't possibly have much post op experience.

3 likes, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my TKR back in September and I still have about 5 or 10 degrees to go before my leg is straight. I don't worry about it too much as I can still walk around happily using just a walking stick when I go out and I don't feel unstable because of it.

maybe it will finally straighten in time, who knows, but it is no longer my prime focus.

i return to work on Wednesday after all this time. My surgeon "recommended" (insisted) that I did not go back sooner because I am on my feet for ten hours at a time and he wanted the new knee settled in before I can wreck it😄

pit will be strange going back after so long but I'm looking forward to it.

good luck with yours

• Posted

dear friends,

i have had 3 yes 3 TOTAL KNE REPLACEMENTS AND 1 KNEE REVISION IN THE LAST 18 MONTHS.

FIRST ONE LEG WAS OFF ANGLE OFF TO THE LEFT.

NEW DR. MADE IT STRAIGHT AFTER 5 MONTHS. WITH 3 MONTHS HAD PAIN .NEW CONSULT BODY WAS REJECTING IMPLANT.

ON 3RD SURGERY I HAD NEW IMPLANT WITH METAL RODS INSERTED IN UPPER THIGH AND IN LOWER LEG.

IT IS NOT EVEN 3 MONTHS AND LEG IS SWINGING AGAIN TO LEG AND PAIN I FEEL LIKE PEG LEG.

WELL I WONDER IF NOT DOING ENOUGH THERAPY IS REASON BUT WITH PAIN DR SAID STOP....

I AM A MENTAL MESS

• Posted

Hi, I have just found this forum and already have found the advice given friendly and helpful. I had a TKR just over 6 weeks ago and am now struggling to straighten my knee, it seems t have got worse since I increased my outdoors walking, coincidence maybe?

I see both my surgeon and physio tomorrow and am dreading them both pulling my knee around to check for range of movement . . . . . . . . .  I'm a bit of a coward really!

I hope to be able to gently ski in 10 weeks from now, so would appreciate any advice / encouragement from the forums personal experience,

• Posted

I am exactly 2 months out from TKR and my issue is getting the knee straight.  I am at -5 degrees I do home exercises 2-3 times a day and go to PT 2x per week.  I have returned to m office job as well. I find it frustrating that the knee reverts back to bent shortly after exercising or PT to get it straight.  No pain meds since First week after surgery. I have no pain just stiffness and swelling which ce heps.  I also walk 1/2 mile daily after work.   
  • Posted

5 weeks is a little early. I see some advice to hang on the bed on your bed but you have to find the exercises that work best for you. Pain free at 5 weeks is ridiculous. I am 8 months post op and I still have pain. Everyone is different. Hanging your leg on a chair is a good one, letting gravity pull your knee down. Start out slow, 30 seconds, and work up to 5 min. Using a towel under your ankle and pressing down your leg is a good one too. Healing is a very slow process. Hang in there. You aren't alone. We're here.

• Posted

I have had a TKR a little over three weeks ago. If I am sitting or laying it feels like I am turning a old rusty hinge. Friday I did an exercise bike for a little bit and it definitely forced my knee into flexion. I was paying for it later. I used to have one of those Nordic Trac Ski Machines. I wish I still did because on the back stroke of your leg your knee is in full extension.
  • Posted

Today is my 12th week post TKR. I have been 2 degrees short of being straight since surgery despite physical therapy. Is there a point where the knee just won't straighten?  My surgeon felt my progress was great about 6 weeks ago. He said ligaments and joint were really tight and they will loosen. I will see him again next week and I'm anxious to see what he will say. 

My therapist has me putting weight on my knee with the towel under the ankle. I'm doing all the other things suggested and then some. But every morning it's like starting all over, pain and really un-straight leg and almost crippling to walk. I wonder if I just need more patience ( what my husband says) which at this point my patience this condition is getting old!!

• Posted

You are describing my situation exactly--including what your surgeon and husband said.  I'm wondering how things are for you now since you're 3 months ahead of me time-wise but with such a similar pattern of progress.  Did you get to full extension with the towel/weight on knee exercise?  

• Posted

When I went back to the therapist for the last time I was straight.   On my last visit to my surgeon, he reiterated to me that it takes a year to heal from the surgery. In the mornings the first few steps are tough as is walking after being seated for long periods.  But after I start walking, I can walk without a limp.  

Keep working on your knee it will get straight. When you walk make sure you go from heel to toe.  I had started walking on my tippy toe on my surgery leg which was not helping getting the knee straight.  

Good luck and keep working on it and eventually it will happen. 

• Posted

Thanks!  It's good to know I'm not the only one who hobbles away from the bed those first few steps, or after sitting for any length of time.  I can tell if I'm not walking heel to toe because my ankle starts to hurt.  It's like learning to walk all over again.

Do you ever wake up at night with a painfully stiff knee?  I can stretch it out and I keep an ice pack handy, but it would be nice to sleep through the night on a regular basis.

• Posted

I was told to walk heel to toe to help straighten the knee.

I did have trouble sleeping. My surgeon gave me a low dose sleeping pill to help me sleep. I only took it a couple of times. It did allow me to get 3-4 hours sleep without waking. I used ice packs often even when I started back to work.

It gets better, but its gradual. It's been 6 months. I still have some pain, stiffness, and swelling. But it's a lot better than before surgery. Hang in there it gets better and your past the really hard part good luck.

• Posted

I had TKR May 2, 2017 with allergic reaction to incision glue and fluid accumulation behind knee. I thought that was the reason extension is limited to 25-30 degrees after 5 weeks. I can't bear full weight with a walker, so use a wheelchair to get around in the house. I tried going off pain meds but found standing, walking and exercising too painful so I'm back on them. I thought I was way behind until reading this website. 

How are you doing now? 

• Posted

I'm doing great now. Finally got my knee straight about 12 weeks. Can walk without a limp. July will make a year for me. Some days my leg feels a little heavy. And a couple of weeks ago I actually had to take an ibuprofen for pain. I'm so glad I've had both my knees replaced. It's made all the difference in my world. And I had a great surgeon.

• Posted

Thank you for letting me know! I was getting discouraged after hearing local stories of people walking with a cane after 4 weeks. I think my leg feels heavy due to pain meds and residual swelling. I'm doing 4 sessions a week of PT and a chiropractor and massage appointment weekly. Just have to be patient. I still have to do the right one- maybe next year...

• Posted

I think I was having a pity party when I wrote that. 😂 I can even wear a heel with a wedge with no problem. I thought I was going to be in flats the rest of my life.

It will get better. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. It's easy to get discouraged. But just don't stay there. Have your pity party then move on. Good luck. ????

• Posted

How's your knee doing now? Just joined the site, looking for inspiration I guess. Had TKR 1/30/17, MUA and scope to release scar tissue 4/26 and am at -4 extension at this time. I still get discouraged from time to time due to not having full extension at this point. I went back to work June 2 and still have to take pain med after a busy 12 hour shift on my feet.

• Posted

You are to be admired, even to be thinking 12 hour shift after 4 months post surgery. I hope you are able t o rest when you come home and on weekends. It will continually improve but it will just take time.
    • Posted

My knees are perfect. I just had my one year follow-up for my last knee replacement. X-rays and everything were good. Don't get to down on yourself. It takes time. My surgeon told me it takes a whole year to recover. So at this point you have about 6 months of your recovery left. Just keep doing

The things you did in therapy. Keep working on it and you'll get there. Take your meds and some ice after a long day to keep swelling down. I did all that as well and it paid off. It will for you as well. Best wishes.

Kim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.