Can't take anti inflammatories

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 13 days post op from TKR.  I can't use anti inflammatories because of a former stomach ulcer and hiatus hernia.  That leaves me 8 happy hours per day with no pain meds...just icing.  The nights are awful.  Does anyone else have these issues?  It is discouraging.  I start going to physio tomorrow.  

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I couldn’t take anti flammatories either huge stomach upsets. I stuck to paracetomals and stronger pain meds. It’s very hard to begin with and practically no sleep doesn’t help, it can all be very lowering. Take comfort that we have all been through those very difficult first few weeks, it does getter better, rest ice and do your exercises, project it’s worth it in the long run.

positive thoughts x

• Posted

Thank you, Jackie.  That gives me hope.  
  • Posted

Arnica as a pill will help you with the inflammation. It works wonders internally
    • Posted

Oh that is good ! Let me know how you get on with it ! It helped me enormously !
  • Posted

Hi Lywn, have you tried using a TENS machine? I found it very helpful indeed for the gaps between medication. It is possible to get one for around twenty pounds. People are not allowed to mention particular products on this site but your physio could probably advise. I think it was you that said you were told at hospital not to elevate your leg, which seems odd. May be worth asking your physio about that as well. because elevation really helps with reducing swelling.

Sleep difficulties are common after knee replacement surgery. Everyone is different, but aiming to relax as much as possible can be helpful.

I am now seven months post op and life is fantastic. I know it is really hard but it is an investment and you will reap the rewards of all this suffering later on.

I remember that I would wake about three times in the night. I wrote this in my journal at six weeks:

"It’s a very mild pain and stiffness in the knee, but nothing that a bit of movement cannot help. I think it’s probably best to get the leg moving about from time to time to stop it getting stiff! I am also now not just sleeping on my back but sleeping on my side sometimes . Very exciting, as I haven’t been able to do that for years! I brought a knee/leg pillow before my knee replacement surgery, and I am glad I did. It’s excellent."

Try and get as much rest as you can in the day also. I used to lie down in the afternoons for a few hours.

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. There is an abidged version which is shorter as well! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information.

• Posted

Ginger and turmeric are naturally anti-inflammatory. Diet affects inflammation for those who are sensitive to wheat, sugar, night shade vegetables ( potatoes, tomatoes,eggplant) By reducing or eliminating dietary triggers, inflammation can be reduced naturally. As much as I enjoyed eating bread, pasta, potatoes and sugar, reducing them helped reduce my TKR and overall joint pain and worth the sacrifice.

It gets better...best wishes for continued healing.

• Posted

Laurel,

I am fond of ginger tea.  Thanks for the reminder.  Will make sure to buy some with the next groceries.  

• Posted

Sugar and bread are bad for me.  Thanks for the reminders. I've had systemic inflammation from the time I was 25 till now and I am now 65. 

• Posted

Hi, I feel for you as I had a TKR and could not take much pain relief meds - similar reasons plus had gallbladder out a while ago and no longer good with the heavy pain meds or codeine since.

?Ice was my greatest comfort and my hospital did not issue ice so it was only after release home that I discovered the benefit of gel packs, in my case.

?The doc would only prescribe amitriptyline for my severe nerve pains in the leg and that did not work out as it made me feel faint and have low BP, not safe after a TKR when already unsteady on legs.

?The good news for me anyway was that the pain at night gradually became more manageable by itself. It did seem to take forever and I felt very desperate for sleep and freedom from pain at times. Lots of tears and regrets for the surgery! My knee had been so bad that there was little option but to have the op, but I would have turned the clock back if possible and not had it. I am now months on and life is better though the knee is still a work in progress, I can sleep well most nights and only need the odd paracetamol or sometimes apply ibuprofen gel, as that seems OK as bypasses the stomach.

?You can always see if your doctor will prescribe anything different for you, worth asking. You really should have pain meds before physio they tell us, to make it more comfortable and bearable. I found it very tough. But I'm here to tell the tale and had a manipulation eventually to help the bend as I had scar tissue as well. I also used helichrysum oil in almond oil base with vitamin E on the leg - not the wound - to help the pains and arnica for bruising.-, turmeric supplement for inflammation. Whether these have helped I cannot tell, I think so. Good luck with your TKR, it will feel better, just takes time.

?Hope you can fins something that will help.

• Posted

Thank you, Cynthia.  Ordered some arnica oil and pills.  Was given amitriptyline a while back but it made me sick. The scent of a lot of gels gives me migraines.  I told my sister I think I am a mutant I have so many issues.  Hope everyday becomes easier for you 
    • Posted

I have migraines too! Luckily I can get away with most smells but some washing powders etc are too much. I always seem to some condition these days as well. There is that saying, what does not kill us makes us stronger, so we are on our way to being superhuman, bionic knees and all!!
    • Posted

Let’s hope so, be glad when I’m 12 months down the line after 2 replacements in six months, testing very testing but sure we all will be laughing then, this getting older is no joke😀😀😀😀

• Posted

I have to use unscented clothes washing liquid,  dish washing liquid,  shampoo, shower gel,lotions,  etc.  I am seriously allergic to all deodorants and have to use coconut oil instead.  LOL on us being superhuman!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.