Can't think straight and memory shot

Posted , 21 users are following.

Was told I was suffering clinical depression by mental health team and been on many ad's been on cialopram for 5 days after trying sertraline , cymbalta and trazadone with no luck , taking 20mg at night , waking after a few hours with sweats , can manage some bits of sleep on and off til around 7:30 but feel so sick to the stomach on waking , I still have really bad brain fog , can't remember short term and anxiety through the roof , feeling energy less dizzy and confused all the time , can't believe that depression and anxiety can cause you to feel "disconnected" like thinking of a task is impossible , feel like giving up , been like this for 3 months , don't want to drive , go out , just feel like sitting , thinking , HELP !!!

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I wonder if any of you are introverts and simply unaware of your introverted personality? It has been identified that it can take introverts much longer to respond in situations than extroverts.

In our age of quick / instant answers not providing the correct answer quick enough might feel uncomfortable / stressful for introverts like myself.

• Posted

This is a horrible illness, I've been on Citalopram for 8 weeks, not feeling like myself, brain fog, feeling numb, body aches. Just had my dose upped to 40mg, so scary thinking will this ever work? Body feels abit better, mood has improved, but just feel weird and out of it, like I'm a ghost!! Just loosing the faith!! I've had a few patches of feeling better, but a very few.

• Posted

This is exactly what im feeling right now. Do you get headaches?
  • Posted

Hi everyone, reading all the posts above makes me feel so much better. I feel so isolated and alone. I genuine believe that my brain is broken and isn't functioning correctly and hasn't for nearly a year now. I have tried anti depression, 2 different types, but stop as they didn't help me. 

You describe a brain fog, inability to think and have huge difficulties in keeping us with conversation - spot on! I sometimes catch myself staring at things that warrant a response but it does even occur to me to respond. I have tried CBT, have coach now but no one seems to help me think straight. I have always been a switched on person but the last few years it has got bad and let to where I am now. I just don't know what the next steps are for me. Any advise would be great. It is good to hear that you guys have got through /are getting through the same sort of thing. 

• Posted

Hi Lois, I was on them for approx 2 months each time. They did not really help me lift my spirits or help me think straight, in fact quite the opposite.

So I stopped. Unfortunately, six months later I seem to be in the same place and struggling more than ever at work. Everyone says I will go work through this but nothing is changing. I am starting to feel like I am stuck like this.

• Posted

First of all these medications take very long time to work ..as in months not weeks...it took me 8 months to feel the benefits on celexa..I was having same issues as you ..plus more..two months is not very long...you will feel like your not recovering.but in reality you are.. they will cause anxiety plus other side effects ..but if you preservere. .and maybe give one antidepressants a chance ..you will feel better. I know easier said than done....I'm still recovering and it's been 15 months...on ten milligrams...20 was too much..take care

• Posted

Reach out katecogs on this forum ...she is very knowledgeable on this medication..celexa...without her I would of giving up...
    • Posted

Thank you Lois, I really appreciate the advice. No meds doesn't seem to be moving forward so I may need to try again. 

• Posted

Absolutely ...celexa is very very slow and gradual... it may seem like its not working ..but in reality it is ...take care
    • Posted

Hi

Just chipping in here wink

Yes Lois is right - these meds take many, many months - it took me 6 months to recover, and some people take longer.  You need a lot of patience and perseverance.

2 months on the meds isn't long enough, and not surprised you thought they weren't working - you don't often see any sign of improvement for 3-4 months sometimes.  They make you feel worse to start with which doesn't help.

Lots of people give up too early thinking they aren't working - this is where you need to dig your heels in and carry on.  It takes a long time for your body to adjust to the meds, and whilst you wait you just feel wretched most of the time.

During recovery you'll also get a wave effect where you start to feel well followed by anxiety coming back again.  This will continue all through recovery, though the anxiety gets less intense and the good days get longer and stronger.

Really worth trying again.  I took regular anti depressants for around 16 years which never helped at all, and then I took SSRI's and within 6 months I was back to normal.

K xx 

• Posted

Hello Kate ...hope a is well for you and your family... question..when you say you took regular antidepressants.which antidepressants are referring to..just curious....take care...🌹

• Posted

Hi Kate, thanks for chipping in, I gratefully receive all the advice. Thanks so much. I am concerned as I can't wait 3 months for improvements in my mental agility. Best Regards Neil

• Posted

SSRI's do take a long time but believe me its worth the wait - 100%.  I spent 16 years being ill, trying different medicines, different therapies - always searching.  SSRI's changed my life, along with reading and understanding about anxiety.  For me, 6 months wait was better than a life time of misery.

You may not want to wait 3 months or longer and I thought that too - but it was the best time I ever spent.  You can't just step out of anxiety / depression - it takes a long time to get into it, and so it'll take a long time to reverse the process.  Even if you get better naturally without medicine, it'll take a while.

SSRI's are tough to take for many of us, but getting through those months will lead you out the other side.

• Posted

Before I took SSRI's i was on a variety of tricyclics at different times which did absolutely nothing for me except maybe take the edge off.  Anafranil was one type and I really can't remember ones previous to that as it was a long time ago.

• Posted

Wow Kate. I try one of those it was horrible...but you are my ssri/celexa hero...take care...you are the best...
    • Posted

They have their uses of course, but they weren't helpful for my anxiety.  I can't praise the Celexa / Citalopram enough.  Prozac / Fluoxetine too biggrin

• Posted

Yes for me effexor/cymbalta/Prozac/buspar.............then celexa...thank goodness for celexa....
    • Posted

Thanks to you both. I spoke to my coach and she says I don't have depression, bad anxiety so meds won't help. Sounds like I have a choice to make! 

It's so good to hear that they worked for you both and the is a way out of this place. Take care 

• Posted

I don't have depression ...I have health anxiety...plus all the other anxietys ..that exists...take care

• Posted

I no longer suffered from anxiety... depression was never my issue...celexa cured my anxiety .....thank goodness....
    • Posted

I wish I had a coach that told me I didn't need ssri because I have anxiety...not depression....that would be a jackpot for me....take care

• Posted

But this is what these meds are for - anxiety.  They will help you recover from it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.